SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Saint Louis University is placing 2,300 Echo Dots in student living spaces
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Saint Louis University is placing 2,300 Echo Dots in student living spaces Login/Join 
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted
https://www.theverge.com/2018/...tudent-living-spaces

quote:
Saint Louis University has announced that it will be placing Amazon Echo Dot devices, powered by Alexa for Business, in every student residence hall room or student apartment on campus. While other colleges, like Arizona State University, have put Echo Dots in student housing before, SLU says this is the first time a college will equip every student living space with an Amazon Alexa-enabled device.

SLU’s Echo Dots will come with a unique skill that will allow students to ask over 100 university-specific questions like “What time does the library close tonight?” and “Where is the registrar’s office?” It will also be able to provide information about student events, speakers coming to campus, concerts, and more.

students can ask over 100 university-specific questions

In regards to privacy concerns, SLU says that because it is using the Amazon Alexa for Business platform, every Echo Dot is managed by a central system that is not tied to any individual accounts. No personal information will be collected so all use is anonymous. The Echo Dots will also not keep any recordings of questions that are asked. If a student wants to opt out of using the Echo Dot given to them, they can simply store it, unplugged, and turn it in at the end of the school year.

All told, SLU will be deploying 2,300 Echo Dots that should be ready to use by the time classes start later this month.

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Told ya. Surveillance City

Hoo boy!!

I'd take that bug and drop it right out of the freakin' window, but not the little indoctrinated kiddies, no sir. They'll submit to being bugged and be HAPPY about it! Damn!

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
No personal information will be collected

Ha ha. . right.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
No, really. You can trust them.

FOOLS!!

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:
quote:
No personal information will be collected

Ha ha. . right.
That has to be added to the list of the three classic lies to make it four.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16513 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
I really don’t like the fact that this program is mandatory. These assistants are so cheap that everyone can afford them if they CHOOSE to use them. I don’t see why the university doesn’t just let them tap into the network if they want to take part. Also, the fact that students must wait until the end of the year to turn them in (even if they do not wish to participate) and are responsible if someone else steals them in the meantime is ridiculous.

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
George Orwell must have has a time machine or a crystal ball.
The ministry of education is hard at work.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
True test would be costly for the guinea pig, but I would wager that if one would talk in detail about plans to perhaps blow up the library in ear shot of one of these things they would have a SWAT team kicking in their door post haste.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I'd unplug it & lock it in a closet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Really, it's astonishing, and if you dared to complain about it, you'd be kicked out of the dorm.

quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
I'd unplug it & lock it in a closet.
Put it in your fish tank and let your guppies talk to Commie Central.

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I really don’t like the fact that this program is mandatory.

It's not.

quote:
If a student wants to opt out of using the Echo Dot given to them, they can simply store it, unplugged, and turn it in at the end of the school year.

If it were me, I would simply turn it in at the beginning of the school year.... and say, "Nope, YOU store the damn thing!"

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24100 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
I really don’t like the fact that this program is mandatory.

It's not.

Let me rephrase, I dislike the fact that all living areas are issued them in the first place. The program should be “opt-in” as opposed to “opt-out.”

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Who pays for this stuff? Where does the money come from? How 'bout NOT doing crap like this and controlling tuition costs, instead.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Who pays for this stuff? Where does the money come from? How 'bout NOT doing crap like this and controlling tuition costs, instead.

My thoughts exactly. Tuition and expenses have gotten out of control at these 'institutions of higher learning'. When I went to SLU, it was a concrete jungle. Now, the place looks like a country club. But it has to in order to compete for students... who then complain about student debt. Roll Eyes

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24100 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmm...I wonder if they’ll be placed in ALL of the educators offices and conference rooms as well? You know, so they can also take advantage of the convience and cool technology to ask 100 university related questions.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dusty3030:
True test would be costly for the guinea pig, but I would wager that if one would talk in detail about plans to perhaps blow up the library in ear shot of one of these things they would have a SWAT team kicking in their door post haste.

More likely some tech admins will be listening to these college kids hump each other in the dorms.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
This is an entirely private university. I don't care what they and their students agree to do.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
This is an entirely private university. I don't care what they and their students agree to do.

I do, to the extent it 'normalizes' this type of thing. By that I mean lack of respect and understanding of privacy, and the risk associated with being online in every facet of our lives.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, it's not as if it's a bellwether. Roll Eyes

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:

That is entirely the correct response. Private institutions, such as schools, churches, country clubs (and businesses, though I understand the issues with inviting the public) should have whatever policies they want, as long as they are not illegal.

As an alumnus, I do care. I think it's ridiculous. But my remedy is with the board and the administration, not with the courts.

BTW, Saint Louis University, and Saint Louis University High school are celebrating their bi-centennial this year. Founded in 1818, it's the oldest school west of the Mississippi river.

-rduckwor