SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Time has come.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Time has come. Login/Join 
Page late and a dollar short
posted
Tomorrow is the day,I officially retire from the car business.

Since 1970 I have been a GM parts counter person and at various times an assistant parts manager, a parts manager and a service manager.

Without going into a lot of details, I'm getting a bit apprehensive that I made the right decision. Right or wrong, I made the decision. I am going to work part time as a Harley Davidson parts person, a part time vocation that I have been in since 1999. And I have had a couple of people that are in the collector car business approach me also, so it's not like I do not have options.

Going to be a bit tight until mid August, first SS check arrives then, but we will manage.

So, thank all of you that I have asked advice from about this new phase in my life, we will be fine.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Congrats on semi retirememt!

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DEC505
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, I'm in the same boat. Started at a dealership in 1971 and am calling it quits at the end of the year.

The auto repair business is starting to lose all their old time real mechanics and are being replaced by "technicians"

Looking forward to loading and shooting more,and a little golf.

Hell has no fury like a liberal
confronted with reality

Posts: 814 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I talk to our local Harley parts person whenever I am in there. He likes his job and says the company treats him really well. Hopefully, you will have a similar experience.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5038 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope you enjoy a long fulfilling retirement.

1970 till 2017 at the same place (47 yrs.)... don't hear that very often. Congrats!

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Congrats! I'll be joining you in retirement in two weeks... maybe Wink The date's been pushed back four times, now.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Congrats. I hope SS will be enough..

Posts: 13808 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, and enjoy!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Congrats my friend and good luck on the new venture.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25417 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. You've been working since 1970 anyone would be apprehensive of the change.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Seems like you have a number of options, relax and enjoy itSmile

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
I hope you enjoy a long fulfilling retirement.

1970 till 2017 at the same place (47 yrs.)... don't hear that very often. Congrats!

Sorry for the confusion but not 47 years at the same place, but 47 years in the same line of work. Ten different dealerships in that time frame. Of the ten, three are still under the same ownership, seven have closed. Shortest time was at the first, three months but I knew that going in there. The longest time at one was eighteen and a half years.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Shovelhead, if you need part time work let me know. My company has offices in your general area and we LOVE retirees, especially for part time work. Seems the kids don't know how to come to work anymore.

Posts: 17141 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on retirement. Nothing wrong with a bit of part time work.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post