SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mayonnaise or Miracle Whip?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mayonnaise or Miracle Whip? Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I genuinely dislike Mayonaise on sandwiches and burgers. Nothing ruins a burger faster than putting a glob of solidified oil on it. Based on Sigforum threads I've tried Duke's, Blue Plate, Hellman's. Most are thrown out as practically full jars when they hit their expiration date. Admittedly, some recipes (e.g. potato salad) taste better with mayo than Miracle whip.

Miracle whip's less oil and added sugar tastes better on sandwiches and burgers. I really like it on BLTs. Truth be told, I don't go through much Miracle Whip and the jar is usually still half full when discarded at its expiration date.

IMO, mustard is the ultimate condiment. Healthy, delicious, and goes with practically every sandwich and burger. I keep 3 or 4 types of mustard in my fridge.

quote:
Originally posted by cheesegrits:
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Miracle Whip is nothing more than a Yankee plot to poison southerners. Look it up!

Yep, that's exactly what we learned in school. Razz Besides, MW describes itself as "dressing" and not mayo.
It required by the feral gov't to call itself a dressing as the U.S. Food and Drug Administration requires that anything labeled "mayonnaise" contain a minimum of 65 percent vegetable oil by weight.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by cheesegrits:
Yep, that's exactly what we learned in school. Besides, MW describes itself as "dressing" and not mayo.
It required by the feral gov't to call itself a dressing as the U.S. Food and Drug Administration requires that anything labeled "mayonnaise" contain a minimum of 65 percent vegetable oil by weight.

I was teasing about MW. I had nipped that out of my post to avoid derailing, but not quite fast enough. Smile

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I genuinely dislike Mayonaise on sandwiches and burgers. Nothing ruins a burger faster than putting a glob of solidified oil on it.

I'm just opposite. My burgers MUST have:

1. mayo
2. ketchup
3. dill pickles

at the very minimum!

Posts: 33776 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Mayonnaise for me. For some reason, Hellmann's is sold as "Best Foods" mayonnaise west of the Rockies.

A slice of tomato topped with salt, mayo, and sprinkled with dill weed is a regal treat.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8935 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
Definitely mayo. Blue Plate, Hellmann's or Duke's.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Hellman's Olive Oil mayo. Just a little bit. And only on certain sandwiches with hot meat, like a hamburger, grilled chicken, or a BLT.

Cold meat sandwiches get mustard.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Mayo, used selectively. Never Miracle Whip.

Either homemade Mayo, French in the tube, Duke's, or Herman's in a pinch.

Sometimes I make Sriracha Mayo, or Chipotle Mayo, or Peppercorn Mayo.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kewpie

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Miracle Whip is just god awful. Goodness, how do they keep selling that crap?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mayo, always. Best Foods or Duke's.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I grew up on Hellman's. Wouldn't buy anything else. Then I heard about Duke's, I believe it was on this forum. Tried Duke's, now wife and I agree. Nothing else will do.

In Winn-Dixie (supermarket chain in, I think mostly in the southeast) yesterday. Cruising the aisles I saw a "Buy One / Get One" placard under the Duke's mayo. Grabbed two jars, they rang up regular price at the register.

I protested mightily, cashier went back to check, returned and told me that the promo was for Hellman's, which was two feet further to the left of the Duke's. The promo card was under the Duke's.

He brought two jars of Hellman's for me in case I wanted them. Nope, not even if you give them to me for nothing. It's Duke's for us, we accept no substitutes.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30648 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
My wife is a die hard Dukes fan. I'm a miracle whip guy.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Miracle Whip only in my home. Never could stand mayo on anything.

They have essentially the same main ingredients. I just find Miracle Whip smoother and tastier.
Same here. I don't like the taste of mayonnaise. MW on BLTs, tuna, and boiled ham; mustard on hot dogs, hamburgers, bologna, fried Spam®, and fried ham sandwiches.

Mayonnaise--ugh!

BTW, MW is only used on certain sandwiches--I don't put any kind of "dressing" on a salad, only salt. And I hate potato salad and egg salad (no matter which white sauce is used to make it).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Mayo all the way for me! When I was a kid, mayo and bread alone was a snack. I can't stand MW. I've lately switched to Best Foods olive oil mayo. I love it!

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The high fructose corn syrup in Miracle Whip keeps me from using it

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I can accept either Miracle Whip or mayo, although I prefer mayo. The two are more alike than different. I don't use a lot of either of them.

Hellman's or Dukes for mayo, and Kraft is fine. I don't like Blue Plate as much - it seems to be saltier to me.

I really like homemade mayo better than either, but it is a rare event that I make it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by charlie12:
Duke's
Duke's link

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mayo; Duke's most often but I do get Hellman's at times. All this talk of ethnic Southern foods like tomato sandwiches with Duke's now has me a-hungering for a pimento cheese sandwich.. Smile

Posts: 3214 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Draal
posted Hide Post
Hellman's for me. Never tried Dukes as I've never seen it in the Chicago area stores.

Posts: 164 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: July 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Dukes

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post