SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Inside look at Skunk Works that made planes that changed world history
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inside look at Skunk Works that made planes that changed world history Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
One of the early Skunk Works aircraft was the F-104. When I was stationed at K.I, the Canucks used to fly them down and do touch and go.
Essentially a missile with two stubby wings.

Those were wings? I thought it was the stand for the ground crew to use when strapping the pilot into the seat. Razz

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
used to watch them fly out of CFB Cold Lake when I was there - awesome to watch

very loud and very fast Smile

got a chance to sit in a few of them - not a lot of extra room

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53180 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by msfzoe:
Kelly Johnson is an American hero.

I was surprised that he kinda believed in flying saucers as noted in one of the excerpts from his notebook. Never mentioning where the saucers originated from he just had his beliefs about them despite the joking that he received from his associates. They did mention he witnessed a UFO from his ranch..I wonder what made him more convinced than ever at the end of his excerpt.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in 1960 I went to a school in Chicago for Electronics and one of the students one day was talking to some of us telling us he had a uncle who told him he has flown a plane so high over Russia that Russian planes and missiles can't reach him. We didn't believe him at the time.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by satch:
Back in 1960 I went to a school in Chicago for Electronics and one of the students one day was talking to some of us telling us he had a uncle who told him he has flown a plane so high over Russia that Russian planes and missiles can't reach him. We didn't believe him at the time.

I was in a networking group with Francis Gary Powers Jr. He likes to talk about his dad. I only ever thought he should have eaten the pill, so I would never respond other than, "that's interesting."

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by satch:

I was in a networking group with Francis Gary Powers Jr. He likes to talk about his dad. I only ever thought he should have eaten the pill, so I would never respond other than, "that's interesting."

My father-in-law flew U2s out of Laughlin AFB in the late '50s though '61 or '62. (My wife was born there.) All the U2 pilots thought Powers failed in his duties to prevent the plane and himself from falling into enemy hands. They had no good words to say about Powers.

My FIL never talked about much of the flying he did in his career, which started in 1941 and went through the early '60s, but he would never say a word about the U2, other than that he flew them.

We still have the shell of his helmet, which is silver with those pointed triangles going back in a garish orange/red. He had his pressure suit for years, but it is now gone.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool.

About Powers - hard to judge a man's actions from a thousand miles away. I have his book, Overflight, signed by him. Good read. He did the best he could under the circumstances.

They did a piece on the Gotha 229, the father of the B2. Skunkworks built a model of the plane which they showed how they did it. The 229 is unclassified. Amazing the skills and capability of the craftsmen at Skunkworks, watching them bring the 229 back to life as a model.

They even did a real radar signature eval on it at China Lake which they also showed. Not bad radar signature for stealth in its time.

On the day they showed the 229 at Skunkworks they allowed the family members of the works to visit, so they could see what they fathers could do. Pretty cool.

Give them the plans to build anything and I believe Skunkworks will build it. Amazing.

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1687 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
bought the book and watched the show this evening

very good program

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53180 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by icom706:
Cool.

About Powers - hard to judge a man's actions from a thousand miles away.

It isn't really hard. The U2 pilots were not to allow the plane or themselves to be captured. This included killing oneself, if needed. That was the bargain they accepted. He bailed out, which was not easy in that plane and was captured. Wreckage from the plane, including the engine (which was very advanced), was captured. He failed to do what he was supposed to do.

I understand that is a lot to expect, but if he wasn't willing, then he shouldn't have accepted the mission.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I love all this stuff, besotted with aircraft since a pup. Just purchased this program on Amazon for $3.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From what I remember, some in congress asked that the U2 go back on the same track it did a few days prior. Normally that would never be done, but when politicians get involved bad things happen.

So he did what he was told, and got shot down. If they had followed protocol and overflew a different area, most likely it would have been just another U2 flight.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Regarding the timing of Powers’ flight, my recollection is that the Eisenhower-Khrushchev summit was coming up, and intelligence indicated something was happening in the USSR that warranted taking the risk. Oops!

I have a friend at church whose Dad worked for Lockheed, I think the Skunk Works; she grew up in Palmdale. She has mementoes of her Dad which she has offered to let me look at but so far that hasn’t happened. Thanks for reminding me to encourage her to loan them.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
...and intelligence indicated something was happening in the USSR that warranted taking the risk. Oops!

Uh, yeah, they were developing/deploying the S-75/SA-2, the same missile battery that shot Powers U2 down. They wanted another look at it, and they damn sure got it...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the name of show Toro. I know what I will be doing tonight.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post