SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Inside look at Skunk Works that made planes that changed world history
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inside look at Skunk Works that made planes that changed world history Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Pretty good article. Area 51 too. Smile

“It was the 1950s and the United States was desperate to know: How many missiles and bombers did the Soviet Union actually have.

The Soviets had exploded their first nuclear bomb in 1949 and the threat of war loomed. But there was a huge obstacle to get the information.

'The CIA could not get any human spies on the ground in the Soviet Union. I mean it was called the Iron Curtain for a real reason, you know, it was impenetrable,' journalist Annie Jacobsen explained.

So the U.S. decided to turn to the sky – 70,000 feet to be precise – and handed the problem to a top secret division of Lockheed called Skunk Works.

Skunk Works would meet the challenge, designing America's first spy plane, the U-2, which was crucial to assess the Soviets' capabilities, rise to the occasion again to create the fast Blackbird and, later on, the stealth jet…”

https://mol.im/a/7116175

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8857 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Cool, I'll record it for sure. I'll have to tell my grandpa who was an areospace engineer, but almost certain he has seen it in person.

Edit, just called Gramps, told him about it. Said you've probably seen it up close though? Zero response. Cool A few seconds later 'what time is it on?'

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great article, thanks for posting.

It's is incredible to think that the F-117 Stealth was referred to as the "hopeless diamond" and turned out to be one of the most effective military aircrafts ever.

I will be watching the documentary.

Posts: 326 | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The U-2 is still in use today. It is very challenging to fly, not just because of the altitudes it reaches, but its handling characteristics.

Posts: 27837 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Sunday night on the History channel will be a special on Skunk Works, I believe around 9pm EST

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orthogonal
posted Hide Post
A graduate school classmate of mine (enrolled via the USAF 'Bootstraps' program along with many such already enlisted officer-students circa 1965-66 at the large engineering university) was a U2 driver. He once remarked to me that he could be at 10,000 feet before he had reached the end of his runway.

No doubt this notable climbing capability was due to several contributing factors, i.e., in particular the high aspect ratio glider-like wings, plus light weight, and with good engine power.

Of course, for four decades now more than a few fighter aircraft can climb vertically on power alone following rotation from a runway, with their wings contributing no lift whatsoever (though perhaps not fully fueled/loaded).

FWIW: I had the pleasure of meeting Kelly Johnson a year or two later (while still at this same university) whom I held in high regard already for the P-38 design.

Posts: 519 | Registered: May 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Set for recording, thanks. I am fascinated by all thinks mechanical. The documentary on the SR-71 I watched a few years ago was fascinating. The fact that it leaked fuel like crazy on the ground but expanded significantly under the heat of travel and sealed up everything was pretty shocking...especially for titanium.

Posts: 1768 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Annie Jacobsen, who's was quoted in the article has been making her rounds on the media circuit, promoting her new book Surprise, Kill, Vanish, speaks about Area-51 and the various secret programs the CIA initiated to include it's airplanes, like the U-2 and SR-71. She was recently on Joe Rogan's podcast:

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Kelly Johnson is an American hero.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
The "Skunk Works" got its name due to the proximity of a plastics factory, which... stank.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Skunk Works: A Personal Memoir of My Years at Lockheed" by Ben Rich is well worth a read.

Posts: 101 | Location: Jhb, South Africa | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating, sleeping and boinking. Everything else is just Filler.
Picture of terma-nator
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere that the idea for Stealth came from very complicated math from a very obscure Russian engineer that had his work published. The Russians pretty much ignored it but one of the "Skunk works" engineers read it and brought it to the attention of Ben Rich Head of the skunks works at the time). From there, the F-117 was born.

I love it here!

My Gun collection:
Too many to list. Lets just say that the zombies should look elsewhere.

Posts: 1671 | Location: Back in the good 'ol U.S.A. (South Fla) | Registered: April 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
My Uncle Bill successfully redesigned the ejection system on the F117 after testing failures.

He also was a part of the nuclear engine team in Dawson Forest testing grounds.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every aircraft that emerged from the Skunk Works was well beyond the technology of the time. The A12/SR71 story goes well beyond the Skunk Works
The CIA operation to obtain titanium from the Soviets is a good read in its self. Hopefully there is something flying around today from the Skunk Works that is unknown to the world. I'd bet it doesn't have a Pilot!

Posts: 151 | Location: west Florida | Registered: July 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 104RFAST:
Every aircraft that emerged from the Skunk Works was well beyond the technology of the time.

It's a model that you rarely see in todays corporations: A talented & loyal lead, the assembly of their own team, given a goal and isolation from other parts of the company and its executives. For many projects today, there's too many cooks in the kitchen, resulting in over-budget, under performing and late delivery.

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Novice Elk Harvester
Picture of ronnied316
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigamt:
"Skunk Works: A Personal Memoir of My Years at Lockheed" by Ben Rich is well worth a read.

I totally agree, fantastic book.

Agree with Corsair as well, as it relates to micro-managing. Whatever happened to hiring the best people and then getting the hell out of their way?!

The Skunk Works as described by Ben Rich was a treasure trove of people working towards a common goal, and giving nothing less than 100%.

"SUCCESS only comes before WORK in the dictionary"

Posts: 412 | Location: Kitsap Peninsula, WA | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
went to B&N this afternoon and was able to find a copy - but only in paperback - no hardcover available

also picked up Digital Fortress by Dan Brown

so I have reading material for a few weeks

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
watching "Secrets in the Sky: untold story the skunkworks " on history channel now. pretty good stuff.

Posts: 4738 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ronnied316:

The Skunk Works as described by Ben Rich was a treasure trove of people working towards a common goal, and giving nothing less than 100%.

Rich talks about the hours leading up to a critical demonstration with the Have Blue project and coming across a need for a rack in the aircraft. For expediency, they broke down a shelf in a storage room and cut it up to make the rack. Seems simple, but a bit part of the ability of the teams of mechanics, engineers and others at the skunk works was innovation, and broad thinking. Make it work, rather than color within the lines.

I'm still floored by the 117.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the early Skunk Works aircraft was the F-104. When I was stationed at K.I, the Canucks used to fly them down and do touch and go.
Essentially a missile with two stubby wings.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post