SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Garden produces first tomato
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Garden produces first tomato Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
Picked up a tomato plant at Costco it been going for a month in a large planter, hit it with Miracle Grow for fruit bearing plants which is what we did as a kid growing up.

Historically I've waited too late in Fl to put out a plant, this year got it out earlier, and the plant has gone gangbusters, lots of green fruit.

Last night a storm knocked it over, the single tobacco stake didn't hold, lucky it didn't break the stalks.

Lo and behold in the middle was a ripe red tomato, picked it, put the plant back up, which I'll get another stake or so,

Here's the first pick with it's soon to be acquainted smoked bacon off my Traeger.

Posts: 23425 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's gonna make a good samach

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Looks good!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
That’s a beauty!

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Nothing better than a home grown tomato! I wasn’t able to get my Spring garden planted this year. I will plant okra in the coming months.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I'm jealous.

I planted 3 varieties of small tomato plants in late February after the last frost date. 2 weeks later, I had to cover with plastic 2 nights in a row because of frost, but all survived. 2 weeks ago had an overnight cold front in the high 30s even though we had been having daytime highs in the 80s. Current status:
  • Bush goliaths (2 plants) - 12+ green tomatoes growing and some are approaching fist sized. This is my first time growing these so I'm anxious to taste.
  • Romas (3 plants) - Been growing about a foot a week the last 2 weeks and have some flowering but zero tomatoes. I haven't grown these in years, but last year's sauce variety was a dud so I switched to these.
  • Husky Red (1 plant) - Same height as Romas but no flowering. I'm really looking forward to these as they are the best tasting cherry tomato that I have ever eaten.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Ammoholic
    Picture of Skins2881
    posted Hide Post
    I'm not even planting for a week or two. Will be 5-6 weeks before I have one, maybe longer.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Aw, that looks delicious. We’ve just planted out earth boxes with “Big Boy” tomatos here in NC.
    Your my inspiration for this tomato gowing season.

Posts: 266 | Registered: June 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Too soon old,
    too late smart
    posted Hide Post
    Now, all you need is an acre of okra plants to keep you busy. Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Victim of Life's
    Circumstances
    Picture of doublesharp
    posted Hide Post
    Good job! 4th of July is my goal every year and usually once they start we've got a good supply until mid Oct.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of bigdeal
    posted Hide Post
    You're gonna need more bacon... Smile

-----------------------------
    Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Alea iacta est
    Picture of Beancooker
    posted Hide Post
    That’s a damn fine tomato sir.

quote:
    Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
    The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of sourdough44
    posted Hide Post
    Nice, as expected, you’re South of WI.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of msfzoe
    posted Hide Post
    Good looking tasty samich component.
    We don't plant until Memorial Day.
    Had one foot of snow on Mother's Day in the 70s. J

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Optimistic Cynic
    Picture of architect
    posted Hide Post
    Congratulations! I can't even get the plants in the ground until 5/10, expecting to get my first fruit about 7/4.

Which reminds me about the time my father, frustrated with our next-door neighbor's bragging about his garden's productivity, due to it being fertilized with "Montana mare's pee," salted his garden with ripe tomatoes from the grocery store, and made a conspicuous show of "finding" a huge ripe fruit in mid-April when the neighbor happened to be watching. Nobody said a word about it for years, but there was much hilarity behind closed curtains. I think it was my mom that finally spilled the beans.

Posts: 6469 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Lost in the Woods
    Picture of NHForester
    posted Hide Post
    Our gardens just barely has the last of the snow melt off them this week. It will be full summer before we see tomatos

Posts: 1475 | Location: Newfound Lake, NH | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post