SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chain saw guys... help, please? Stihl won't start.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chain saw guys... help, please? Stihl won't start. Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
That's it exactly, ShneaSIG -- it seems to take a lot more effort to get through a cut and the chips are smaller.

I'm going to head over to the local Stihl house today and see if they've got these files. That's just way cool. Replacing the chain is cheaper and easier, but in three evenings I'd have two dull chains. That just doesn't make good sense, so it's time to get to filing.

God bless America.

Posts: 13497 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
I hope they'll have one in stock for you. You'll be back in business in no time. Once you get a feel for the file, you'll be able to file a chain of that size almost as fast as you can change out a chain (and faster than if the chain tangles up!). If you have a bench vice, you can just clamp the bar straight into the vice (clamp fairly close to the power head) and your saw will be nice and stable while you work. If you want to save the paint on the bar, you can slip some 2x4 scrap between the bar and the vice jaws. Those full billet bars are incredibly tough.

I like to keep spare chains on hand so I have a way to continue working if I foul up a chain. Sooner or later, your saw will find a nail or rock embedded in a tree. A bad pinch can ruin a chain, too. Having another chain to slap on can save the day. If a chain has found a rock or a nail, that can be tough to fix with a file, and may require a chain grinder to be set right. Most shops will grind a chain for you for a small fee, but it can be cheaper in time and money to just replace a chain that's hit rocks or metal.

I keep spare bars, too. We've all gotten the bar pinched. And I've had that happen a couple times where there was no way to recover the bar without some significant cutting. The only way to proceed was to remove the power head from the stuck bar and chain, put on a new bar and chain and go cut everything free. Of course, a spare saw is an even better option. Big Grin

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Big Grin A "spare saw" would be "vthoky buys his own saw instead of borrowing J's."

Given the pile left to cut I'm not opposed to buying a spare chain, but that doesn't preclude maintaining both of them. Online, it looks like the local Stihl place doesn't have this file. I'm reluctant to "Amazon it," so I'll wait until tomorrow and check at the Stihl dealer near work. I'm definitely learning a lot in this process... and I enjoy that.

God bless America.

Posts: 13497 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG: Of course, a spare saw is an even better option. Big Grin

Two is one. One is none. I have 3.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Big Grin A "spare saw" would be "vthoky buys his own saw instead of borrowing J's."

Given the pile left to cut I'm not opposed to buying a spare chain, but that doesn't preclude maintaining both of them. Online, it looks like the local Stihl place doesn't have this file. I'm reluctant to "Amazon it," so I'll wait until tomorrow and check at the Stihl dealer near work. I'm definitely learning a lot in this process... and I enjoy that.

Ahh, yeah, if this is a one-off sort of job, I guess it doesn't make sense to build up much of a kit. Does your friend who owns the saw have a file? Might make a nice "thank you," if you feel it's appropriate.

-ShneaSIG

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG: Of course, a spare saw is an even better option. Big Grin

My man! Big Grin

-ShneaSIG

posted Hide Post
There are places that will file the chain for a small charge, just like lawnmower blades. It is typically done while you wait.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:

Two MS250s, one MS391, a little Husky, and and Echo pole saw in the back of the pickup right now.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Try the stihl brand fuel. Expensive but seems to staY POTENT LONGER THAN my own premix.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
Try the stihl brand fuel. Expensive but seems to staY POTENT LONGER THAN my own premix.

What gasoline are you using in “your own premix”?
I’ve found that using 100LL avgas (aviation gasoline) and adding whatever mix oil the local power tool shop has at the time lasts pretty much forever. Avgas doesn’t have ethanol, aromatics, or any other garbage that turns typical car gas into jelly in your saws carburetor over time. It is more expensive than car gas, but orders of magnitude cheaper than the canned gallons of mixed fuel sold at the power tool shop or online.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
Two MS250s, one MS391, a little Husky, and and Echo pole saw in the back of the pickup right now.

You know how to party!

Most of the cutting I do is on some family property, and it's usually a party. Between my dad, uncles, and brother, there's usually 7-8 saws around. One of my uncles just snagged a Stihl 500i. I can't wait to give that one a whirl!

-ShneaSIG

posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ve found that using 100LL avgas

While 100LL beats the ethanol trap of everyday auto gas its not a great choice for some modern small engines that might have a catalytic converter. You will be able to accomplish the same goal of long term stability by finding unleaded race fuel (often easy to find) or its also marketed for small engines like VP small engine fuel and sold in small engine and often motorcycle dealers.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
Ahh, yeah, if this is a one-off sort of job, I guess it doesn't make sense to build up much of a kit. Does your friend who owns the saw have a file? Might make a nice "thank you," if you feel it's appropriate.

He's got a standard file, but I think the 2-in-1 you pointed out would be a much better plan. If I can find it, I'll buy two... two is one and one is none, right? Big Grin

Either that, or I'll then have a file that needs a chain saw to go with it! Cool

God bless America.

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
You can find the files on Amazon if you cannot find them locally. Here's an example.

You can also find Stihl branded 2-in-1 files on Amazon as well, in case you cannot find them locally.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

As much wood as you're cutting with someone else's chainsaw, I'd buy a new chain, file, spark plug and return the saw with a new plug installed, both chains sharp and etc.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Either that, or I'll then have a file that needs a chain saw to go with it! Cool

Now you’re thinking! Big Grin

Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
For starting my MS250 I've learned that it likes two pulls on full choke. Then will start on on half choke no matter what. Usually it will not 'burp' on full choke. Continuing to pull on full choke looking for the burp only floods it. Also, turning it on its side to fuel and refill the oil seems to flood it. I try to minimize the time left on its side. Then give it a break for a few minutes after fueling.

As for extra chains and sharpening. It's best to learn how to sharpen the chain and maintain the raker links. A quick pass through the chain with a round file after fueling will keep the chain flying through the wood. Check and file the rakers at the end of the day. Though I find it best to also keep a few sharp chains at the ready as well.

Enjoy! The Stihl 250 catches a lot of shit on many forums. But, I've found it very reliable, strong and easy to use. There are better models of Stihl. But the price points are significantly higher.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Here's an example.

Oh, wow, that's a bargain compared to the Stihl branded version.
I did stop by the Stihl shop near work today and the lady there offered to get me the 2-in-1. I'll have it in hand on Wednesday.

quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:

Now you’re thinking! Big Grin

Also at the local shop was a used MS310... Four hundred bucks, including a suitcase full of chaps, tools, chains, and so forth. Tempting, it was. Then again, for about $280, I could buy my own MS250, which is plenty of saw for my use.

quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
As much wood as you're cutting with someone else's chainsaw, I'd buy a new chain, file, spark plug and return the saw with a new plug installed, both chains sharp and etc.

Yessir, that would be the polite thing to do. And I'll probably do it. J would do it for me.

God bless America.

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also at the local shop was a used MS310... Four hundred bucks, including a suitcase full of chaps, tools, chains, and so forth. Tempting, it was. Then again, for about $280, I could buy my own MS250, which is plenty of saw for my use.

The MS250 may be the perfect utility size saw. You can cut bigger stuff with it, though you may have to come at it from multiple sides. It is relatively light though and you can run it a good long time. I don’t know that I’d want anything smaller. Having a bigger saw is great sometimes when you need to cut big stuff, but if I could only have one saw it would be an MS250.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I did pick up that MS310 for a second. It's noticeably heavier than the MS250. In fact, that's the reason it was there on consignment -- the owner said it was too heavy and bought a lighter model.

Having spent a batch of hours with J's MS250, I'm liking it. I don't need a chain saw often (thus my borrowing this one), but I could be tempted to pick up one of these.

God bless America.