SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kayaks and vests - getting ready to use my truck this year!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kayaks and vests - getting ready to use my truck this year! Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
<snip>

Two posts above yours, you'll note the OP has already purchased his kayaks. In the post directly above yours, you'll note he has a question about the racks he purchased to hold those kayaks.

konata88, my understanding is the rating is for the whole setup when evenly loaded.

Posts: 10912 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Update: I now have Stohlquist Trekker PFDs and Werner Skagit FG paddles on order.

So, I've got basically everything I need to get onto the lake finally (well, when order arrives anyway).

Trapper - thanks. That's what I think I'm understanding too. But it's not clear if I add another crossbar, can I bear more weight? Or am I limited by the rails?

I'm still concerned about the rack. I think I'm okay in terms of load for short drives to the local lakes. And I think I can squeeze the two kayaks hull down, side by side, on the 40" wide rack (half the kayak on each side will hang over the rack but still w/in the car width).

But I'm still looking for a better solution for both weight and width (and maybe length) for two kayaks up top so that I can take longer trips on the highway.

Still considering the Malone trailer; I'm just not comfortable with one. Never really towed a trailer before (remember, this is my first truck). And not sure how easy it will be to park the car and trailer at hotels, restaurants and stops along the way.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I looked at the 2008 owners manual for an LX570 and it says add two or more crossbars to the rails and don't load more than 154 pounds. I take that to mean the whole thing isn't rated for more than 154 pounds, rails included. Maybe there's another rail and crossbar system that's rated for more.

Your vehicle will tow the type of trailer you are considering well. Short trailers can be a little squirrelly to back up and hard to see in your mirrors. You'll have to use a little extra room in sharp turns as the trailer's wheels will follow a tighter radius than you vehicle's wheels when turning sharply.

We've travelled quite a bit the last three years with a 35' travel trailer and now a 38' fifth wheel and look for restaurants we can get in and out of. Ones with RV/bus parking are the easiest. Then ones in the out lots of big box stores or in strip malls. In more rural areas, we've resorted to parking on the side of the road if the parking lot wouldn't accommodate us. We try to eat at non-busy times and there's usually enough room in most fast food type places. We pick the furthest away from the door area try to take up as few spots as possible. With a smaller trailer, I doubt you'll have much trouble.

I've never had a problem with parking with a trailer in a hotel parking lot even in more urban areas. We towed a utility trailer with our ATV on it for several years before we purchased our travel trailer. Ask the front desk people where they would like you to park. We stayed at Homewood Suites mostly.

Posts: 10912 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Malone kayak trailer is looking pretty attractive. I'm going to give a roof based solution one more go. If I can make it work, I think that would be preferable since it's a more universal solution for transport. I'm thinking a Rhino Pioneer platform with a 300lb load rating (as wide as I can get) and then if I use the T-loader and not have to worry about placing the kayak exactly on something (just a flat platform) and then position it once it's on the platform, I might be okay. Thinking I can use a stable stool (ones they use at the gym) and then a strap to help lower the kayak gently I may be okay.

Failing that, I'll probably be looking at the trailer.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post