SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kayaks and vests - getting ready to use my truck this year!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kayaks and vests - getting ready to use my truck this year! Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
SOT are ok in warm water and weather. We have a 13' double that can be paddled from a third center seat as a single. Due to it's width and height above the water it needs a longer and thus heavier paddle. It's fine here in Florida, but we don't take it with us when we travel. Instead we take two 10' sit insides and two 17' sit inside folders. They fit well in our RV.

I'd look at the Advanced Elements inflatable kayaks that have a partial aluminum frame.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
They kayaks you mentioned will be good compromise kayaks, they will be fine for leisurely paddling in calm water.
I've found over the years that (just like having the right gun for each situation) there are different kayaks for different purposes. Longer thinner kayaks will track straighter and paddle easier making trekking or touring a dream, while wide flat kayaks are stable for fishing and recreation. Then you have sport models for white water or surf conditions.
Now, how to transport? I have J cradles on my Pathfinder, but my wife can't use them herself. So we have a smaller trailer that we can use to carry up to 4 kayaks and all the gear. Sits lower, and is wife and kid friendly, but it is a trailer. We've used the foam pads before, but you need to be more careful on strapping the kayaks down, and I don't trust them for highway speeds without front straps.
Lastly, vests. Get something comfortable! Don't cheap out on that. I am guilty of not wearing my vest all the time, I usually only wear it on open water or high traffic areas. Usually it's tethered to me and tucked behind my seat if I'm just floating in calm water. But when crossing the bay to get to an island, I wear it religiously, and if it's not a good fit or a good design, it will sour your trip in a hurry.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Thanks guys.

I'm leaning toward the Tarpon 120 (maybe Ultralite version). I was intending to get a sit-in for me but it sounds like SOT is easier to maintain and is useful if we have guests (easier for my wife and guests to use both kayaks). Also leaning toward the 120 although 100 is still under consideration. I never paid attention to length for rentals so not sure what the difference is but 120 seems like a good 'medium' size. $1000 less 20% REI coupon right now -- $800. Expensive but maybe a good choice.

Use is putzing around lakes, rivers and (calm) bays. Exploring various beach areas for picnics that aren't accessible by car, hiking, biking (getting away from people).

After reading a bit (and thanks for the tip on Malone racks - wouldn't have looked at them w/out the above mentions), I'm leaning toward cradles vs the J-style. I'm reading that J-style is not good for single user and/or short people (wife) for tall SUVs. The problem with my SUV is the rear aerodynamic wing thing that hangs over the rear window. So, need to figure out how, by myself, I can get the kayak onto the cradle from the rear while not damaging that stupid wing. But overall, sounds like the cradle is better for my SUV, for single user and for cross winds. Assuming I can fit two kayaks side by side. Looking at Thule and Malone offerings in this space.

Need to find PFD store, probably start with REI. Thanks for the advice - we'll go to the store for fitting. Agree that getting one that works even if unconscious (will put face up). And wife is not a strong swimmer. And we will be in some cold water (spring time).

Yes - point taken about REI. But around here, don't really have much choice as most brick mortar stores are likely liberal leaning. And they are one of the few authorized Wilderness dealers.

Good choice. My main kayak is the T120 and I love it. I have also paddled extensively in Sit Inside Kayaks on multi day paddles from the Keys to Costa Rico but for every day enjoyment the Tarpon is hard to beat. If most of your paddling will be in warmer weather it's nice to be able to roll out and go for a dip.

As those of us who have a little experience know you never end up with just one...(like guns).

I don't know where you live but the two main retailers of kayaks are Appomattox River Company (www.paddleva.com) in Virginia and Austin Kayak Company (www.austinkayak.com) in Texas. Both have great service and selection.

Welcome to the club!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
I prefer a sit on top.
For pfd, I prefer type 3 suspenders, with an automatic and manual activation.
I mainly fly fish and have less arm restrictions with the suspenders than a vest.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'm considering buying used - still Tarpon 120 but I'm hesitant to buy two new ones.

If I can find a used one, I think it would be good to buy one, try it out, and then buy another (adjust what we're looking for if needed). I'm sure I'd be fine with the Tarpon 120 but want to make sure I get something suitable for my wife.

As I never bought a kayak before, any tips on how to assess condition and price of a used kayak? And do I care about year or only the condition?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Go used. You can save enough money to buy a second kayak. You probably have a mom & pop kayak shop in your area or not too far away. They typically have used inventory and waaaaay better prices than what you will find online.

Wilderness Systems makes good boats. Just look it over for gashes and damage and you should be fine. It’s pretty hard to break one of their plastic boats.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks. So basically unless it looks damaged, it should be good to go. Scratches are okay but watch for deep gouges.

How about pricing? Cars get priced by miles and years. Kayaks?

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Yeah. Small scratches are fine but you don’t want any deep gashes under the waterline.

Pricing is all over the place. Sometimes people buy a fancy kayak and realize it just doesn’t work for them so they sell it at a loss. Other times people just don’t use em much and decide to sell it. On the kayaks I’ve been looking at (Wilderness system touring kayak) you can typically save $500-650 going used. I would guess most nicer plastic boats are priced similarly on the used market.

Craigslist and Facebook market are also excellent sources for used boats.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind when buying used that the plastic sets as it ages. A new kayak can be repaired to almost as strong as new while the plastic on a 5 or 6 year old one will not take a repair as well.

Also, UV rays are terrible on the plastic. When looking at used kayak find out how it was stored. Older and stored outside is a combination to avoid.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3851 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also, UV rays are terrible on the plastic. When looking at used kayak find out how it was stored. Older and stored outside is a combination to avoid.

Conceptually understand. But is there any way to check this - I'm going to assume that I can't take the seller for his word. And I'm having a hard to trying to figure out age of kayak by color (I'm not even sure the colors change each year).

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
It wouldn't hurt to poke around some kayak forums, learn some things, check out the classifieds. (that's what I did)

You could figure out year with enough time and knowing what you're looking at. Some brands have serial number or sort, others make subtle changes as models progress so you can go by that but it would take lots of research. If you were buying it from a "serious" kayaker, they'd probably know the model/year.

If your looking at SOT's, look at the scupper holes that connect the top half to the bottom. They can get cracks there, I think usually from things like carts (that mount in those holes), but I suppose from stress of being dropped.

I love my SOT for comfort. I would go fishing with a friend who had a sit in, and after couple hour he'd be complaining about being sore and cramped. Which I can understand. Meanwhile with my SOT I can move all round. Sit sideways with my legs in the water, straddle it with one leg on each side, turn around and face the wrong way, even lay down. (I've dozed off laying down) And of course, since it's a "fishing" kayak, I could in theory stand up. But I am way too tall and top heavy to try that trick. Wink

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1. Kayak - kayaks are like shoes or boots - they are purpose built. Yes, there are boats that can handle more than one type of water, but you will be surrendering performance and potentially safety when operating any boat out of its element. I would ask around and visit a recommended specialty retailer. Some shops have extensive demo inventory that you can try for a low fee.

Accept this fact - if you end up enjoying kayaking, you will eventually own more than one.

2. Rack - You are on the right track. Yakima and Thule are the big boys in the market. They build very good products that are again purpose built. Key to this equation in my mind is the loading or unloading of boats. If you are on the shorter side, or if you may have issues putting somewhat unwieldy loads over your head, research the loading assist type brackets from Thule and Yakima. Not cheap, but can sure make life easier. Also, you can never have too many cam straps, but you can damn sure have too few.

3. Vest - Our family tend to do more paddling on moving water, so our vests reflect that paddling style. We have found that we prefer to wear our whitewater vests for all of our paddling, no matter the water. Try vests on and make sure they are from a quality maker. Stolquist is quality, but the cream of the whitewater vest market are Astral and Kokatat.

I would also recommend getting quality instruction, especially if you will be on moving water. Always dress for the swim, not the paddle.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
konata88--
Have you loaded a kayak on top of an SUV much? I ask because I injured my back unloading a kayak (my wife couldn't hold her end), and ever since I have wrestled with finding (1) a light kayak and (2) a loading device that would make it unnecessary to lift the kayak on top of a van or SUV.
Sit-on-tops are heavy--think 60 lbs or more--and loading one is not a one-person job for an older person who is not a weightlifter.

I've had a sit-on-top (Hobie Kona) in Hawaii where it was great, but wasn't trying to get anywhere. For going someplace on a lake or the ocean, a sit-in kayak is far more efficient (faster with less effort).

As with guns, I recommend renting before buying. Especially look for days when kayak groups and dealers offer the opportunity to paddle a number of boats.

As for a PFD, I bought Kokatats, but I'm sure Stohlquists are fine.

Posts: 18066 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
konata88--
Have you loaded a kayak on top of an SUV much? I ask because I injured my back unloading a kayak (my wife couldn't hold her end), and ever since I have wrestled with finding (1) a light kayak and (2) a loading device that would make it unnecessary to lift the kayak on top of a van or SUV.
Sit-on-tops are heavy--think 60 lbs or more--and loading one is not a one-person job for an older person who is not a weightlifter.

I've had a sit-on-top (Hobie Kona) in Hawaii where it was great, but wasn't trying to get anywhere. For going someplace on a lake or the ocean, a sit-in kayak is far more efficient (faster with less effort).

As with guns, I recommend renting before buying. Especially look for days when kayak groups and dealers offer the opportunity to paddle a number of boats.

As for a PFD, I bought Kokatats, but I'm sure Stohlquists are fine.

You should check out the loading devices from Thule and Yakima. Thule Hullavator and Yakima Showdown, I believe.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks - yes, I continue to be concerned with racks on the SUV.

Currently leaning toward this:
https://www.thule.com/en-us/us...-dockglide-_-1690777

with this to assist loading:
http://www.rhinorack.com/en-us...d-hitch-mount_rtl002

Averaging 6.3
posts per year
posted Hide Post
Konata, If you don't mind my asking...Where do you live?

Rick

Texting.......easier than calling.

Posts: 1366 | Location: P.C., FL - the emerald coast | Registered: September 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Please stand clear of the doors/Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas
Picture of pacman
posted Hide Post
I have a Perception Pescador 12.0 SOT, (same as tarpon 12) and a Perception tandem 14. Very happy with them. On calm water they are great.

I transport them on a small boat trailer that I put racks on.

PFD, I use an Onyx Manual inflate PFD I picked up on special at Academy Outdoors.

PACMAN

Be Prepared.

Posts: 796 | Location: Louisiana, USA | Registered: January 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Well, I got a kayak. Actually two. Both are used made in 2004. Came with some extras I probably won't use (fishing accessories). So, I probably overpaid for the kayak and for the extras. But if the kayaks work well and last long, I probably saved about $800-$1000 over buying new.

I picked up a Tarpon 120 and a 140. It's a challenge to get them on/off the roof but the T-loader helps (picked a used one up).

Cosmetically, they both look like in great condition. A solid B. There are two indentations in both from being stored on a rack, probably tied down. Sounds fairly common and I might try to see if the sun will pop them out. But in general they are both in pretty good shape.

I'm worried about my stock rack on my LX. Rated for only 150lbs. Kayaks add up to 130lbs. Pretty close and not sure about dynamic loads. So, I'm probably going to spend a pretty penny to get the Rhino Pioneer flat rack 84x60" which would basically cover my roof. I may get a smaller one so that the moonroof isn't covered (although I don't really use it, it might come in handy to get out of the car if I tip it some day Smile).

Probably get the Malone Seawings so I can load them side by side. And then paddles (leaning toward Aqua Bound Stingray Hybrid) and PFD (either Kokatat Outfit, Onyx MoveVent Dynamic, Stohlquist Trekker or NRS Chinook).

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Actually dumb question.

When they say the stock rack is rated for 150lbs, is that just the crossbar rating? Can I use the side rails and get different crossbars (ie - Rhino Rack 60" Vortex - I need to check the load rating) and increase the rating?

Is the the limitation in the side rail itself? Or the crossbars?

IOW, if I get the Rhino Pioneer rack (load rating 300Kg) but then I use Vortex crossbars on top, sounds like I'm still limited to about 220 lbs? (more than stock but the limitation is in the crossbars, not the base rail system?)

posted Hide Post
I really like the Ocean Kayak Malibu Too. They're very stable, paddle efficiently enough etc. They're very versatile as they have 3 seats, 1 for 1 paddler, and 2 for 2 people. Tarpons are very popular too. I prefer a Malibu too size boat for myself as I'm 6'3 and 230 lbs and it has a heavy weight rating, sits high with just me so I don't get wet, and it's very stable.

If the color of the used kayak is faded, pass. This means it has been sitting in the sun. You can usually buy used ones for half the price of new though.

If you can swing it and have a place to store it, buy a trailer to haul the kayaks around on. It is SO much easier to load and unload them. Have you ever tried to lift a 60lb, 10' kayak over your head if it's windy? It's a real bear to do.

Paddles and seat backs are just as important for comfort as the kayak is, you want ones that feel good in your hands and are light.

Vest, the self inflatings are the most comfortable but also the priciest. People tend to use those or the waverunner/ski style vests. If it's a self inflating you have to wear it at all times to be legal. If it's the waverunner style here in FL at least, it can be clipped to the kayak and you don't have to be wearing it all of the time to be legal.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post