SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kayaks and vests - getting ready to use my truck this year!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kayaks and vests - getting ready to use my truck this year! Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
Bought the (used) SUV last year. Only put about 1000 'get used to driving it' miles on it so far. Highway, some off pavement trails and lakeside.

Getting ready to buy kayaks to use on lakes, rivers and maybe ocean bay. Could use some sanity checking for those who have experience with kayaks, rack mount and vests:

1) kayak: leaning toward sit-on-top (more stable for beginners (especially for the wife and near water ski / jet ski and maybe bay, easy to take a dip, low maintenance (not sure how to remove water and clean out sit-inside).

Looking at Wilderness (10-12 foot - easy to transport): primarily Pungo and Tarpoon 100/120 (maybe Ultrlight version). Should I consider sit-inside more (worried about stability for wife; open for me but hesitant with increased maintenance unless usability is noticeably better) - something like the Tsunami? Or another make/model?

2) rack: Thule Hull-a-Port, Kayak Stacker (with foam rack cushions) or Dockglide. I need to fit two kayaks on top of the SUV. Want the kayaks to be secure off pavement and on the highway. And of course, no damage to the kayak. Cost is secondary. Which style is recommended? Strong recommendations for a different brand/model?

3) Vest: no idea. Just looking at the REI website, maybe Stohlquist Edge PFD? $100 seems pricey - Good? Typical? Recommendations?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12714 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Sit-on-tops are fine as long as you don't mind getting wet (you will get wet). They tend to be slower for the same amount of paddling effort and not track in as straight a line.

Can't help you on specific rack recommendations.

For PFDs, I would STRONGLY recommend that you actually go to the store and try them on. They all provide about the same flotation (unless you go outside the common category, e.g., a whitewater rescue PFD) so the only thing that really matters is how comfortable it is.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I prefer sit on tops, but you'll definitely get wet using it. I'm on the bigger side so I don't get cramped in the cockpit like in the sit-in's.

As far as a vest, I agree with maladat. Just go try them on. Styles vary by body type.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you considered pack rafts rather than kayaks?

I'll take one any day over a sit on top kayak and you don't need a roof rack.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I have a wilderness systems Tarpon 140 sit on. It really depends on what you plan to use it for. I fish and snorkel out of it so the sit on is a better design that I can also use to just take out and paddle around and explore which I also do.
If I was just going to be touring and exploring I would have gone with a sit in due to the dryer ride, better tracking, and more efficient paddling. Either style, longer tracks better and is easier to paddle but different models in the same lengths will have different characteristics.

Second the idea of trying on the different vests in person. Find the one that fits the best and don't worry about the cost.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I don't seem to get any more wet with my SOT than I do with my canoe.. save for paddle water, and that's not the kayak's fault.

Posts: 21101 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
I prefer sit-ins.

Specifically Jackson Kayak. Handmade in Sparta, TN.

I own 3 Jackson boats and am going to buy a second Kilroy this year.

The Kilroy is great if you like to fish. Very stable and can pack a lot of gear (camping, hunting, fishing, etc). Fantastic seat that can be easily lifted out of the boat to use as a shore chair. Can even stand in the boat if you have good balance and a little practice.

Otherwise a Traverse is a nice all around boat as is the Tupelo which also shares the same Elite seat with the Kilroy. Very, very stable and fast.

http://jacksonkayak.com

0:01

Posts: 4206 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I have a Tarpon 120. I think it tracks fine, certainly much better than my Liquid Logic Remix 10. I don’t seem to get any wetter in it either, on flat water. I use Malone racks, mainly because I wanted folding racks so I can put the Forester in the garage without taking the racks off.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
I prefer sit-ins too. I feel like it has better control.

Vests - Get one that has a short back - just below the shoulderblades. A full length one will be uncomfortable sitting in a kayak seat. This short one rides above the back of the seat, so no uncomfy back.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3296 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you REALLY want to test the depths of a romantic relationship - get yourself a 2 person kayak...Don't ask me how I know.

Posts: 66 | Location: Boca Raton FL | Registered: April 13, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A sit in kayak is narrower, because the lower center of gravity does not require a wide beam. I would only buy a sit-in kayak because they are much easier to paddle.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ronin11:
If you REALLY want to test the depths of a romantic relationship - get yourself a 2 person kayak...Don't ask me how I know.

Another name for 2 person kayaks is divorce boats Smile

Posts: 244 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Do NOT scrimp on a vest. Several years ago I was almost struck by a ski boat while paddling maybe 100 yds off the shore at Lake Tahoe. The wake dumped me over and within minutes the cold water had me unable to do much at all. I barely made it to shore.

No doubt in my mind had I not had a good vest....I would have drowned.

I carried a pair of 12 footers on a Honda CR-v. NO issues at all. I used THULE racks and holders.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bassbrew
posted Hide Post
Absolutely the best rack I ever used. Super solid.

https://www.rackwarehouse.com/...e-kayak-carrier.html

Posts: 4 | Registered: June 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure excatly what your needs are in a yak. A few points.

1st) REI has recently comeout as anti-gun. Why the F they are that dumb to alienate a huge percentage of their customers I can't answer, but since they are forcing me to choose between them or my core beliefs, it's an easy choice they can fuck off. Besides, I've only been a member for 42 years and spent about half a million or so bucks there. Now is when the disposable income is starting to pour in too. But I'm done now.

2nd) Costco had a fantastic deal on a sit inside that had rotomolded front and back sealed sit ontop look. That means you sit in nice and stable like a sit inside, but it won't sink. Even when your goofy dumb ass labradore claws his way back in while you are in a near out of control wind and wave bay situation where you want anything but that to happen. $399. Fantastic deal, saw it just yesterday.

3rd) The wider it is the more stable and slower it is. I have a terrier that wants to chase the seals, she always jumps in and they disappear, but getting her back in is a chore so I have my wifes wide ass slow but stable tugboat style kayak. And I'm glad to have it. For the pup I have an outward hound life vest I got at Goodwill for $3.00. It's worth 20 times that I know she won't get cold and sink, and as there is a handle on the back and I can easily pull her back in with 1 hand anytime she is ready with out sinking myself in the middle of Davey Jones locker.

Get the best life vest you can afford.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

I'm leaning toward the Tarpon 120 (maybe Ultralite version). I was intending to get a sit-in for me but it sounds like SOT is easier to maintain and is useful if we have guests (easier for my wife and guests to use both kayaks). Also leaning toward the 120 although 100 is still under consideration. I never paid attention to length for rentals so not sure what the difference is but 120 seems like a good 'medium' size. $1000 less 20% REI coupon right now -- $800. Expensive but maybe a good choice.

Use is putzing around lakes, rivers and (calm) bays. Exploring various beach areas for picnics that aren't accessible by car, hiking, biking (getting away from people).

After reading a bit (and thanks for the tip on Malone racks - wouldn't have looked at them w/out the above mentions), I'm leaning toward cradles vs the J-style. I'm reading that J-style is not good for single user and/or short people (wife) for tall SUVs. The problem with my SUV is the rear aerodynamic wing thing that hangs over the rear window. So, need to figure out how, by myself, I can get the kayak onto the cradle from the rear while not damaging that stupid wing. But overall, sounds like the cradle is better for my SUV, for single user and for cross winds. Assuming I can fit two kayaks side by side. Looking at Thule and Malone offerings in this space.

Need to find PFD store, probably start with REI. Thanks for the advice - we'll go to the store for fitting. Agree that getting one that works even if unconscious (will put face up). And wife is not a strong swimmer. And we will be in some cold water (spring time).

Yes - point taken about REI. But around here, don't really have much choice as most brick mortar stores are likely liberal leaning. And they are one of the few authorized Wilderness dealers.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12714 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
I recommend renting from a kayak shop before buying. My local outfitter will rent daily as they have several display models available. This way you can try before you buy. My shop will put the rental fee towards a future purchase.

0:01

Posts: 4206 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Rack type really depends on what you buy.

I bought J style racks before I bought my kayak because I got a good deal. Then ended up selling them unused as I realized there was no way they would work with what I would end up buying.

J racks mean picking the boat up and lifting it over head. I'm a big dude, which necessitated buying a big boat which meant there was no way I'd able pull that trick off. Big Grin

You can often get good deals on racks on Ebay. I got my Thule there for about 1/4 the price of a new one. Where I made up for it was buying a Rino-Rack T loader. It was a lot of money, but after putting a couple dents and scratches in the back door of my Xterra, I decided I'd better. It sure makes my job easier. I've a Malibu Stealth-14 and it's an aircraft carrier. Loaded with gear it weighs quiet a bit, especially after a day on the water. I've used it a time or two moving other items as well, extension ladders and other large items, so it's nice to have.

Posts: 21101 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Yea - per what I've been reading, J-style is not indicated for: tall SUV, old weak guy with short wife. We have neither the strength nor the height necessary to get even light kayaks onto the J-style.

Seems like since I'm the only one loading kayaks onto the rack (even if my wife is present), I'll need some system that allows me to slide the kayak onto the rack. I'm looking at side and rear bar options (rear hitch mounted load assist bar - but that only works if I don't bring bikes as well or need some sort of adapter to allow both). Thule has a side lift mount but I'm not paying $700 for it.

Picture of Gascan
posted Hide Post
Most everything that I was going to say has already been said... I’ll add that I have a Tarpon 120 and my girlfriend has a Tarpon 100. We both agreed that if she was to buy again, she’d get the 120 as well. There isn’t a big difference in weight between the two (believe me, I have to load both on top of my ol’Land Cruiser); but there is a HUGE difference in performance on the water. The 120 tracks better and goes faster. Always.

For what it’s worth, I wear a Stohlquist fishing model PFD, and have 0 complaints about it.

Posts: 135 | Location: Sunny St. Pete | Registered: March 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post