SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    320-pound Florida woman sits on 9-year-old girl, kills her
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

320-pound Florida woman sits on 9-year-old girl, kills her Login/Join 
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted
http://www.al.com/news/index.s...edium=default-widget

A Florida woman is facing a murder charge after, authorities say, she punished her 9-year-old cousin by sitting on her, causing the child to go into cardiac arrest.

Veronica Posey, 64, told investigators that her niece, Dericka Lindsay, had been misbehaving, so she decided to sit on top of the child as punishment. Minutes later, Dericka said she couldn't breathe. She was unconscious by the time Posey stood up, according to an arrest report from the Escambia County Sheriff's Office.

Dericka, who was just a little over 3 feet tall, weighed 74 pounds, the report says. Posey weighs 320 pounds - more than four times the child's weight.

The incident occurred about 1:30 p.m. Saturday in a home in Pensacola, Fla.

Dericka's mother, Grace Smith, 69, told investigators that she was having problems with her daughter's behavior, so she called Posey, her niece, to help discipline the child. It's unclear from the arrest report, which has several redacted portions, how long Posey sat on the child.

But according to the Pensacola News Journal, Dericka ran toward an armchair after Posey struck her with a ruler and a metal pipe. Her father, James Smith, 62, told officers that Posey sat on her in the armchair for 10 minutes before the child said she couldn't breathe. But Posey didn't immediately stand up after Dericka complained - and sat on her for two more minutes.

Posey told investigators that she called 911 and performed CPR after she stood up and realized that her cousin was unconscious.

The arrest report does not say whether Dericka's parents tried to help her. She was taken to a hospital, where she died less than an hour later.

Posey has been charged with second-degree murder and aggravated abuse. The child's parents, who were home when the incident occurred, have each been charged with child neglect. It's unclear whether they have attorneys, but online jail records say they are scheduled to appear in court on Nov. 3.

The child's family had previous interactions with Florida's child welfare system, Mike Carroll, secretary of the state's Department of Children and Families, said in a statement. It's unclear, however, what the nature of those interactions were. Florida law prohibits the agency from releasing any information about investigations involving children. Records, however, become public once investigators determine that a child's death is the result of abuse or neglect.

Carroll called Dericka's death "appalling" and promised a thorough review of the family's previous interactions with the agency.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
I tend to be vary jaded in my worldview to the point that not a lot affects me, emotionally.

This story is damn near heart-breaking. This kid obviously had no chance at life with such weak willed and ineffective parents.

The thought of what must have been going through that little girls mind is haunting and makes me feel ill. That is torture.

I feel like a 1200lb block of concrete should be included in the punishment.

Ruined my day before 5am.

Posts: 6361 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
She should be beaten until there is nothing left of her but shit and whale oil.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
What a terrible way to go.

Being crushed and asphyxiated is bad enough, but under that idiot's rump?

< shudders >

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31429 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Something doesn't sound right here. The mother of the 9 year old is 69. The niece of the Mother and the 9 year old's cousin is 64. Was the girl adopted?

Posts: 3375 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
Something doesn't sound right here. The mother of the 9 year old is 69. The niece of the Mother and the 9 year old's cousin is 64. Was the girl adopted?

That's what I was thinking, unless it the new Fuzzy math

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:

That's what I was thinking, unless it the new Fuzzy math

I read it twice and it's either too early for me to comprehend or it's poorly written.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Probably took 2 minutes for Auntie's pea-sized brain to process the information and send the "stand up" message to the assorted muscles required.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dericka's mother, Grace Smith, 69, told investigators that she was having problems with her daughter's behavior

So, this woman had a child at 60? WTH??

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
"Cousin" is used loosely hereabouts. Family trees are likewise not always what you would expect. That child likely had little chance of becoming a productive adult in that environment but this is tragic nonetheless. Another glimpse of a dysfunctional family in a dysfunctional subculture. What is happening to the children in this drug/alcohol-welfare-criminal- subculture all over the country is like watching a slow motion train wreck that we seem never to be able to prevent. Here the actors are black but just as often they are white. It is the often unseen great American tragedy with children as its victims. I have witnessed such family dynamics on the job throughout my adult life and still it breaks my heart to see it.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Let the punishment fit the crime, I say.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crushing_(execution)

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
They will simply say that she's mentally incompetent and let her walk. We have an issue in NH that is almost as big a joke.

New Hampshire: Domestic violence charges against immigrant dropped due to his “cultural incompetence”
JULY 10, 2017 9:23 AM BY ROBERT SPENCER

Augustin Bahati doesn’t appear to be a Muslim; this does not seem to be a Sharia wife-beating case. Its significance for the global jihad, however, is immense: the domestic violence charges against Bahati were dropped because he “lacked the cultural competency to participate in the American justice system.”

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Picture worth a thousand words...explains it all.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
What is it with Florida these days? Seems like everytime i turn around they gotta one up California.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just read a story where some "mother" put two little kids into an oven, turned it on and killed them. Another story from NOLA where some dude stabbed an 18 month to death.
Seems common these days but maybe its just increased reporting.
Makes me glad for the parents I had!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
What is it with Florida these days? Seems like everytime i turn around they gotta one up California.

It's not "Florida these days". Jeez.. this place has always been fucking crazy. It's the sun on the head and the swamp between the toes. The combination is absolutely devastating to human sanity.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:

It's not "Florida these days". Jeez.. this place has always been fucking crazy. It's the sun on the head and the swamp between the toes. The combination is absolutely devastating to human sanity.

And the fact that every loose nut and bolt from the Midwest and North East rolls downhill and ends up in FL... So we have to contend with all that as well...

It's amazing how f'n stupid some people are...

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The criminal justice system is broken and needs a massive overhaul. People like this don't deserve to live, much less reside in jail with all expenses paid.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PossibleZombie,

Posts: 2016 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
this is the perfect example of why we need a fast and efficient death penalty - exactly what use will this person ever be to society other than being a murderer?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post