SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2018 Denali XL AWD gas mileage?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2018 Denali XL AWD gas mileage? Login/Join 
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted
Hey owners, what are 4WD versions of this Denali actually getting on the highways running about 79mph in 2WD?

Not that anyone speeds, just figured someone may have heard about it. Big Grin

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
A quick check on Fuelly shows 6 2017 Yukon XLs with the 6.2L V8.
Average is 15.3mpg over 107 fillups & 40k miles.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
If you get 17, that would be great. LOL.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Tongue in cheek and light hearted question: What difference does it make? I'm assuming the 2018 Denali XL is not an inexpensive vehicle. Is it really going to sway you one way or another whether it gets 14 or 17 mpg? Assuming 15,000 miles a year and $2.50 a gallon gas, the difference is about $475 a year. If that's enough financially to make or break your decision, you are looking at the wrong vehicle.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Tongue in cheek and light hearted question: What difference does it make? I'm assuming the 2018 Denali XL is not an inexpensive vehicle. Is it really going to sway you one way or another whether it gets 14 or 17 mpg? Assuming 15,000 miles a year and $2.50 a gallon gas, the difference is about $475 a year. If that's enough financially to make or break your decision, you are looking at the wrong vehicle.

From a make me or break me analysis you are exactly right, however, when a vehicle is rated at 21 hwy and it turns out to get 16, my ass is some chapped.

So, I am lighted heartedly putting you down as having no idea.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I’m getting about 19 on the highway in my new ‘18 Yukon Denali.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better lucky than good
Picture of r2mach1
posted Hide Post
My dad gets just over 19 MPG with his and we normally have 7 people along for the ride.

Class III FFL/SOT firearms dealer

Posts: 3645 | Location: Fort Morgan, Colorado | Registered: November 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
Very nice ride, I saw it on an earlier thread.

posted Hide Post
The color scheme and rims are perfect for that vehicle. Nice ride !

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigWhup:
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

From a make me or break me analysis you are exactly right, however, when a vehicle is rated at 21 hwy and it turns out to get 16, my ass is some chapped.

I had a 2011 Yukon XL Denali until about a month ago.

Mileage was very speed dependent. If I put the cruise control on 60 mph and left it alone for a while, I'd get around 20 mpg. If I drove 80 mph (on roads in Texas with a 75 mph speed limit) without cruise control in traffic where there was a lot of speed variation, it would be more like 15-16 mpg.

In town during the week (all stop-and-go, no long stretches) I averaged 8-9 mpg.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: maladat,

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
The 6.2 V8 is very thirsty, rated 14/20. Drove a 2017 Yukon XL with the 5.3 V8 a few days ago and was very surprised at the performance. Much better than the 2013-14's, and rated 16/23. But, truth is driving an average of 12K/yr means an extra 107 gallons or so/year in 6.2 so maybe an extra $250/yr.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigWhup:

21mpg highway on the EPA test which is at 60mph, not 79. 16 mpg at 79mph seems good. My Armada would get 14 mpg at that speed.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
however, when a vehicle is rated at 21 hwy and it turns out to get 16, my ass is some chapped.

It seems that this is either the first new vehicle you've bought or the tenderness of your tush may have increased. Razz

The estimates have gotten at least a little more real in recent years, but I don't know anybody who expect to achieve them in anything other than a hypermiling contest.

The delta you describe is indeed large. If that was at 60 MPH on level ground without any extraordinary load then I'd visit the dealer to try to start sorting out what may be off. If instead it was in the mountains of SC at 75-80 and a truck full of family and gear, running on 87 octane or E85, sounds normal. Those do specify 91+ octane still, right?

Yes I've had a Yukon XL Denali. No, I've never gotten anywhere close to the rated mileage. but more like a 5-7% difference absent easily identified variables. You don't really share any of these. Heck, you don't even specify if we're talking truck, XL, Yukon, etc.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
I have. 16 Escalade 4wd. I would guess 15 on hwy. once you get over 72 it goes to 8 cylinder. Under 72 it uses 4 so at that speed your not saving on gass

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5132 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post