SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dr. ColorChip for paint touchup?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dr. ColorChip for paint touchup? Login/Join 
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted
Any experience with their product? Their website video seems to make it flawless, but I have my doubts. Need to repair one stone chip on my new car Frown I will be having a clear mask installed, but appointment isn't until early next month.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One, the Only Mighty Paragon
Picture of Paragon
posted Hide Post
I have the same question. I also looked at that vendor.

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 12062 | Location: Central FL | Registered: April 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It won't fill the chip, and make it level with the surrounding paint. But it will hide the chip from any reasonable viewing distance. It is pretty easy to use.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I've used it on our two Hondas; 2012 Pilot, and a new CR-v. On a few motorcycles too. Works pretty well.

On deep chips one needs a few applications.

For deep chips.... On my last bit of touch up I allow it to dry. Then use some 600 grit paper on a popsicle stick to carefully blend it to the height of the original paint. Then lightly compound, buff , then apply a bit of paint sealant, then wax.

Do a search on Detailing sites for "rock chip repair". Lots of videos and good tips.

Good luck.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It depends on the age and condition of your paint. Paint color lightens on vehicles from sun exposure. Even if it's waxed and shiny, if you took paint out of the same can, it came out of when the car was initially painted say 2-5 years prior, the paint in the same can will be half a shade or shade darker than the paint on the vehicle. It will not be as noticable but you will still notice where the chip was fixed if you know where to look. Body shops always adjust paint color when they fix an area on each and every car to the individual car.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I've ordered the kit and will be giving it a try. I miss old cars where the front ends were huuuuge amounts of chrome and stainless. Seems every car today is a wall of paint,

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
It was one of the few products that could be purchased online for a 3-stage paint like factory white orchid pearl. I had my detail guy apply it and it looks great. So I give Dr Colorchip 2-thumbs up!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also positive results here. It's a bit thin, but you can easily build up layers with some patience and the real secret is easy polish off of excess, which makes the process much less painstaking.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Depending how big and how deep, I have some UV primer that is sweet for filling and then painting over. Shoot me an email if you want

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post