SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for the Credit Card, Financial, Legally-Minded Folks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for the Credit Card, Financial, Legally-Minded Folks Login/Join 
posted
I was in Lowe's 3 weeks ago purchasing a garage door opener. It wasn't worth the box it was packaged in, so I returned it a few days ago. I got home and looked at my return receipt and noticed that the return was credited to two different cards. A small portion being my Visa credit card and the largest part of the balance was credited to an unknown card. My wife and I double checked all of our cards and confirmed that we do not own a MasterCard, nor a card ending in the numbers shown on the receipt.

I gathered all of the information and documents and went back to Lowes to settle up. Initially the clerk at the service desk was dumb-founded and spent considerable time trying to find a reason for the error. He was adamant that it should be impossible because the system simply pulls the transaction data and reverses it. The clerk presented a theory that my credit card must have only been partially charged and a glitch charged the balance to the "ghost" card. My credit card statement showed the full amount paid by my credit card, thus disproving his theory. Ultimately, the store manager was brought in to answer my questions as to how this error could have happened. His solution was nothing more than issuing another credit back to my card.

Although I have been made whole, I still have questions about how something like this can happen. The manager was just so smug and annoyed that I was asking questions, which is what really bothered me. Is it possible for a point of sale return such as this to be fraudulently credited to another card? That seems to be the simplest explaination.

I'm not sure what my next step is, as Lowes corporate seems to be uninterested as well.

Posts: 1150 | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
It’d be interesting to compare to the credit cards owned by the employee doing the returns

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I think you should write it up, as you have, and save it for an interesting story for your grandkids someday.

As you say, you are even now. It’s Lowes problem. Maybe it’s a one off aberration. Maybe it is an internal scam in progress. Maybe it’s a sting to uncover an internal scam. Maybe the Ruskies have hacked Lowes books.

In any event, apart from curiousity, not unnatural, it’s not a worry of yours.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Someone is running a scam. I might avoid that Lowes.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
I would suggest that you run down the "Fraud Dept" or "Internal Audit" at Lowe's corporate and forward them your write up. Definitely not right! Could be a computer glitch or could be more nefarious - either way one of those two groups would like to know, I suspect.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
I would suggest that you run down the "Fraud Dept" or "Internal Audit" at Lowe's corporate and forward them your write up. Definitely not right! Could be a computer glitch or could be more nefarious - either way one of those two groups would like to know, I suspect.

I manage a business with 25,000+ credit card transactions a month. If I were Lowe's audit/fraud dept. I would want to take a second/ third look at that transaction. As Sailor said could be a glitch, could be more nefarious (including the Manager being in on it).

On the flip side of the coin I occasionally get a little annoyed when a customer has their card hacked and they "know it was us" when they just returned from a 5 day business trip and used their card 6 times a day, or some ring from Ukraine has been sitting on their card list for 2 months and decided to hit them all. It could happen to my business anytime, but we check for skimmers every day, have good employees, and have a good audit dept.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1891 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
Someone is running a scam. I might avoid that Lowes.

that is what i am wondering.

he / she wanted to give you back 'something' on the idea you would never return to collect your full refund - the rest was 're-paid' to a fraud card the crook has access to.

that's all i can think of. the thought of a refund being randomly split between 2 un-related accounts doesn't seem possible. in 35+ years of shopping with CCs I have never heard of that happening.

---------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Don't know about Lowes, but:

at Home Depot, the computer automatically refunds back to the original card and there is no way to override it or use a different credit card.

The only alternative is to do a "no receipt" return and receive a store credit, in which case the refund will be the lowest recent price and possibly not what you paid for the item.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Yeah call and ask for the district loss prevention manager. This is likely fraud occurring at that location and they need to start investigating that store.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post