SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    UC Berkeley professor’s ‘slaughterbots’ video on killer drones goes viral
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UC Berkeley professor’s ‘slaughterbots’ video on killer drones goes viral Login/Join 
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted
I'm not certain of the viability of this video/technology, but if it is accurate it is simultaneously fascinating and spooky!

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/20...ones-goes-viral.html

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Skynet has become self aware...

He's gonna make a fortune selling that plot to Hollywood

Posts: 23366 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would make for a hell of a sporting clays game. Killer birds, better not miss.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Forgive me, but there is simply no way for me to take seriously anything that anyone from Berkeley says.

Posts: 107459 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dusty3030:
Would make for a hell of a sporting clays game. Killer birds, better not miss.

That was my first thought Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marue
posted Hide Post
That is jacked the F up.

Posts: 386 | Location: Texas | Registered: August 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Berkeley has one of the top 3 or 4 computer science programs in the world, but it's also probably in the top 3 or 4 most left-leaning universities in the world.

Sometimes that results in some really stupid shit coming out of the people there.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Is that Terri Garr at 3:50 on the "news cast"? Anyone want to partner up in a tactical tennis racket business?

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Neat concept, but I laughed out loud when the 3g shaped charge went off and sounded like a cap gun.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Still not as dangerous as Berkeley's dreaded SJW bots.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Do you doubt that, if not technically possible already, it will be so within a fairly short period (say 5 years)?

quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
Berkeley has one of the top 3 or 4 computer science programs in the world, but it's also probably in the top 3 or 4 most left-leaning universities in the world.

Sometimes that results in some really stupid shit coming out of the people there.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
I'm not certain of the viability of this video/technology, but if it is accurate it is simultaneously fascinating and spooky!

Swarming drones and autonomous attack systems, along with AI, are viable.

I'm finishing a staff tour doing capability development for future military solutions. Have gotten to see a lot of this stuff in demo. Industry of course assumes there won't be growing pains and it'll all work as advertised. That's not the case, but it's certainly true that there are serious efforts to utilize complex technology in more lethal ways.

Western professors advocating enactment of rules to keep the genie in the bottle are doing us a huge disservice. Our adversaries are developing this technology without compunction for moral limits. I fully expect autonomous tracked vehicles with mounted weapons making their own decisions about employing lethal force to be fielded in my lifetime, by our adversaries. Our own squeamish discomfort in developing and using killer robots is not shared by our enemies. Our technological edge is meaningless unless coupled with the will to exploit and use it.

Posts: 2397 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
What we need to be doing is developing both the offensive and defensive technology simultaneously. We ARE going to be hit with this stuff. We need to have the technology in place to stop it.

quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:

Swarming drones and autonomous attack systems, along with AI, are viable.

I'm finishing a staff tour doing capability development for future military solutions. Have gotten to see a lot of this stuff in demo. Industry of course assumes there won't be growing pains and it'll all work as advertised. That's not the case, but it's certainly true that there are serious efforts to utilize complex technology in more lethal ways.

Western professors advocating enactment of rules to keep the genie in the bottle are doing us a huge disservice. Our adversaries are developing this technology without compunction for moral limits. I fully expect autonomous tracked vehicles with mounted weapons making their own decisions about employing lethal force to be fielded in my lifetime, by our adversaries. Our own squeamish discomfort in developing and using killer robots is not shared by our enemies. Our technological edge is meaningless unless coupled with the will to exploit and use it.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
What we need to be doing is developing both the offensive and defensive technology simultaneously. We ARE going to be hit with this stuff. We need to have the technology in place to stop it.

We're trying. Defensive is very difficult to do without fragging out your own spectrum. ISIS conducted 400 COTS UAV missions in a single month during the end of the Mosul offensive. Mostly real-time ISR, but over 100 of those missions were kinetic drops of modified hand grenades. A LOT of effort was spent trying to stop that, but its really hard. If that's the capability of a non-state group who was logistically isolated and losing..... imagine the capability of a fully resourced state with years of planning and their own universities churning out students to innovate this stuff. All while our pussy education system wrings its hands at the potential.

Posts: 2397 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
"Mr President...We must not allow....a slaugterbot gap!"

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
As BBMW notes this is a reality.

ISIS was using explosive-laden semi-autonomous aerial vehicles (SAAV) to attack Iraqi and Syrian forces in Aleppo and Mosul, and there is video of them using them to do BDA for suicide bombers in Afghanistan.

[IMG][/IMG]

And this is what is fully in the public domain.

I just bought a micro quad for around $20 that has a host of autonomous functions. Hacking them to do other things isn't that far a stretch

Other interesting thing is a micro SAAV or a micro fully autonomous aerial vehicle is that 3 grams of Semtex isn't very much, but would generate enough energy to seriously injure a human and send plastic shards deep into the victim. Those shards would be hard to detect using X-ray devices, making treating the victim that much harder. Consider that a modern detonator (e.g., "blasting cap") only holds 0.40-0.45 grams of PETN and can blow your fingers off.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31419 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Time to bring back the Auto 5's for aerial gunnery.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OMG!

According to the 'news', the slaughterbots attacked only one side of the aisle after breeching the Capital!

I wonder which side got their brains scrambled from the shaped charges?!

Posts: 3474 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
OK, close your window and watch them crash into it like birds. Problem solved Wink

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Virtually nothing good will come from this, in the end.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post