SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Reminiscing, when did it first hit you?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reminiscing, when did it first hit you? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Wait until you're in your 70's. You won't remember what you had for dinner yesterday, but you'll remember the women you dated and should have married 50 years ago.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
I find it amusing that I can recall every lyric from some late 90s grunge tune, but cannot for the life of me recall what I was in the kitchen for.

For me it was my 25th reunion. I remember thinking "it can't be 25 years since high school; because that would mean I'm . . . shit, it is."

Wink

1. Yup to short term memory.

2. My 50th HS reunion will be this year. I have a perfect attendance record for HS reunions. Never have, never will.

I had the same mindset on reunions. Went to my first in 2014 (40 year). Had a blast.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
To reminisce, one has to have had something in the past to remember, typically fondly. I confess I've lived a pretty hum-drum life with not a lot of really memorable moments. The most notable ones have been negative ones--the deaths of my parents and baby sister, my being tossed out of USAF as an officer (and subsequent enlistment), my serious motorcycle accident in 1989--I don't generally do much reminiscing about those. I've been a geeky wallflower most of my life, never married.

I do think about my earlier years in Detroit, growing up with my cousins nearby (my sister came later) and how much fun we all had together. I remember the family gatherings during those years with pleasure, but when we all grew up and moved away, we lost that close fellowship. It is true that one can't go back.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ac26
posted Hide Post
quote:
73 this year. If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

Amen to that 72 in June

Posts: 191 | Location: Dallas Texas | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I think I started thinking more about my past when it hit my 30th high school reunion and I got to see people again I literally hadn't seen in 30 years.

Some had changed substantially, some had stayed the same - gotten older but never grew up. It was also very sobering to read the names of my friends and classmates that had died in the intervening years

Small town Nova Scotia Canada in the 1970's - graduated in 1977 and a large number of my friends died in auto accidents drinking and driving. There was also a cancer cluster that took a lot.

The older I get, the more I look back at major decisions I made and what impact they've had on my life - where I am, what I'm doing.

Out of all the decisions I've made and things I've done, the only decision I regret was not one that I made, but one that I didn't and that was to get married.

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I used to laugh at Dad when he'd say something like, "Oh, I've known [So-and-so] for 20 years!"

My "brother from another mother" and I were enjoying dinner and beverage not long ago and realized we've known each other for... almost 30 years. Eek Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13500 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I started reminiscing when I was 20 sitting on a stool in whatever bar I happen to be in.

Now, I hardly remember anything so I don't reminisce.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I think I was about 31. Standing in the living room at 3 in the morning with a crying baby while looking out the picture window at my reflection. I was a shocking mess. I thought back to the glory days of peace and quiet, sport and victories, chiseled physique and tanned skin. What stared back at me was......unrecognizable from just a few years before. I quickly shook it off and went back to fatherhood. I had my glory, my fun, my youth. Now it was time to bear up and be a man. Haven't looked back since.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Damn, I honestly didn't think there were so many folks here in their early 70's. Smile I will be 71 in May.

Oh, I did fly home for my 50th reunion a few years back and actually had a good time. Would I go to another one? No.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
It's hit me lately, with having some serious health problems, combined with my wife's health issues too. I am 65 and she is 67.

I've had some tough days over the past two weeks, fluid in my lungs, my ticker giving out, some times , tonight for some reason, my mind traced my life from childhood in a random pattern. I've said prayers, and made amends.

We have 2 adult children, my son lives close, but we (wife and I) could kick the bucket and the boys would be the last to find out.

Such is life. As Jackson Browne sings "In the end, there is one dance you will do alone."

I think of walking on my farm, looking at the beautiful sky, the trees, and the company of my dogs. That is my fondest memory.

Link to original video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=78AVc2jV4Sg

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sunset_Va,

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
76 this year.
The longer I walk the face of the planet, the more I remember the past.
Enjoyed growing up in the 60s.
Life was far less complicated.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Should be in a few months when Kupta, the time traveller, confirms the departure date of October 21, 2028.

https://www.yourchineseastrolo...calendar/2028/10.htm

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Turning 74 this year and for the first time I do find myself thinking about the past. Sadly, some of it is brought on by the passing of friends.

I have good mind for numbers and can remember a quote I gave a week ago, don't ask what I had for dinner, though.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I'm 66 and still working two jobs. I retired from distance running last year, but you can still find me out there pounding the pavement.

Talk about reminiscing! Just this past weekend I started assembling an autobiographical timeline. I have a four year-old granddaughter, and I want to leave her something that tells her Grandpa wasn't just an old man who brought her hugs, toys and dinner. The timeline really makes me think back "over my shoulder."

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I tend to rely on my inner Satchel Paige -"Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you."

Sobering to think just how long things may have been gaining on me, though. Wink

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I am 63 now, retired when I was 60.

Since retiring I think of the past much more frequently, but I still look forward to the future with enthusiasm.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
a post I saw online today said something like "The Beatles music was to 90's kids what 90's music is to kids today."

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post