SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Reminiscing, when did it first hit you?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reminiscing, when did it first hit you? Login/Join 
posted
I’m holed up in Charlotte this week at a conference/training for work. On ESPN Classic in the hotel right now is the SC vs Clemson game from November 2000, my freshman year in college. Fairly certain I watched this game live from my dorm room back in the day. As a result, my mind wonders back and can’t help to think where I was and what I was doing with my life. Feels as if I blinked and 18 years have passed by.

Simple math puts me at 36 years old, I’ve noticed over the last 3-4 years I’ve reminisced and found myself thinking of the “good old days” often. What are those moments for the rest of you where you stop for a few minutes and think, “damn, X amount of years ago I was doing...” I know music also does it for me. Not too many bands from the 90’s that I can’t hear and remember buying that CD or turning up the radio and remembering some great memories from a simple song.

I catch myself often telling the 22-25 year olds at work that it goes by fast and to enjoy it. I remember hearing the same advice when I was in their shoes. Can’t say I took their advice to heart. Fast forward today and I can’t help but to think I would have been wiser to enjoy those good old days.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Wait till you are in your 50s...

I had a lot of fun in my 20s and 30s, and it does not seem that long ago.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was an oldies station that would play songs from the 50s and 60s when I was a kid growing up in the 80s.

About a year ago I went home for the holidays. The oldies station was still broadcasting, same name, same call sign, only now it was music from the 80s.

Ugh.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I do. But I like to think that my best days are still ahead of me (34).

I've had the luxury of knowing that I was seeing the end of an era in my life a couple of times. In fact, I just got back from a reunion with my old work unit down at the beach. I remember our last night working together before we were split up, knowing that things would never be the same. A complete style of policing prettymuch disappeared from existence overnight, though we didn't know it at the time. Best years of my career were defined with those guys, stories you wouldn't believe. Stories that might get one indicted these days.

But things bring me back. I'm a sentimental kinda guy.

It does go by fast. I messed up by growing up too fast myself.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Next week, if I'm spared, I'll be 72.

I have a great future behind me.

tac

Posts: 11322 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:

tac

Sir, I hope there are some great experiences in front of you also, and the rest of us as well!

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1128 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is some truth the the statement 'youth is wasted on the young'. Coupled with 'ignorance is bliss'.

But all told I have 'no ragrets' as I approach 50.

I just find myself WORRYING alot more nowadays.

About my kids. My spouse. My church friends. My country. My job / business.

I wish sometimes I could flip the 'carefree' switch. It is fun to reminisce though. Had a great friend over for dinner during Christmas. We were young officers together back in the early 90s. We cracked some of the same jokes from back then and had a blast.

It's all good though. Doing quite well and the future is where my head needs to be.

-------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It hit me at the end of 2014 when I returned from AFG.

I started applying to various Police Depts I always wanted to apply to and they all told me that I was past their hiring age of 40-44.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
I find it amusing that I can recall every lyric from some late 90s grunge tune, but cannot for the life of me recall what I was in the kitchen for.

For me it was my 25th reunion. I remember thinking "it can't be 25 years since high school; because that would mean I'm . . . shit, it is."

Wink

Posts: 10749 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I was in a retro vinyl (I.E. record) shop not too long ago, walking down the aisles and reminiscing.

Didn’t feel ancient until I came upon a pretty 19 year-old young lady putting the latest used albums into their respective music categories.

As I walked by she stuffed ELO’s (Electric Light Orchestra) “Out of the Blue” album in the “Classical Music” category.

I said politely, Excuse me, but I think you have that album in the wrong section- that’s ELO.

She stared at me through purple hair and rolled her eyes and said “ORCHESTRA... duh”...

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
I find it amusing that I can recall every lyric from some late 90s grunge tune, but cannot for the life of me recall what I was in the kitchen for.

For me it was my 25th reunion. I remember thinking "it can't be 25 years since high school; because that would mean I'm . . . shit, it is."

Wink

1. Yup to short term memory.

2. My 50th HS reunion will be this year. I have a perfect attendance record for HS reunions. Never have, never will.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
34 here. I think about it as well but realize other than squandering a lot of high school and my first 2 years of college, I did more than most. Having a 3 year old and another on the way, I have no more time to think, lol.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:

tac

I’m 72. The older I get the better I was.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in '98, I was 50 & the Rolling Stones were relegated to the Oldies channel.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
I like this quote by Douglass Adams:

“I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.”

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having my 50 year high school class reunion this year - and all I can think is, "Where did the time go?" I don't feel old, but I do realize how blessed I have been - certainly far beyond anything I've earned or deserved. God is just so good. Anxious to continue with lots of "firsts" in my life with no regrets about the "lasts"!!

He Is No Fool Who Gives What He Cannot Keep,
To Gain That Which He Cannot Lose!

Posts: 593 | Location: central nebraska | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
73 this year. If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1324 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now in my early 60s. I find myself thinking back to the women that have passed through my life. And what may have transpired had I spent more time with each one.
Hindsight is 20/20. And unrelenting too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TBH:
quote:

tac

Sir, I hope there are some great experiences in front of you also, and the rest of us as well!

Thnak you, Sir. I really do appreciate that comment.

tac

Posts: 11322 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me and my sibling
Up until I was 49 , I almost never looked back , I was way too busy doing the stuff we wanted too. working and enjoying what we could share together. Our thoughts were concerned with where we would go, what to see and how to enjoy it.

My sibling on the other hand worked as hard as he could to plan for his retirement years, he did very very well at that and raised three fine boys at the same time.

At 74 , now he travels every month to spend time with his kids and their families, and winters in Alabama for a couple of months.

We both have 49 years of memories , they are just differant

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post