SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    School me on roof gutter guards
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

School me on roof gutter guards Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
I bought a new construction home 2 years ago. There are huge 100 foot cedars behind my house that clog my gutters with these...

What's good to go and what's a gimmick? I'd like to get this right the first time. I spent the afternoon scooping decomposing branches and needles out of my gutters.

Thanks,
Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I know my mother looked into a variety of them and I did the math. She could hire a handyman to clean her gutters twice a year for the next 30 years (or more if the money was invested) for what they would cost to install.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15694 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I replaced my old open gutters with Leaf Guard gutters. They work. They have been in place for several years now with no clogs. Leaf Guard's method of attachment using internal brackets works well. Over time, the rolled edge will get dirty and affect performance to some degree, but it is not a serious issue. I bought them to keep from ever having to climb a ladder again, and I am not about to climb up to scrub the edges of the gutters. Any company's gutter guard will get dirty.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Ez gutter guards that snap in and have been very happy with them as a lot of the leaves simply fall off of it due to the shape of them. The gutter company installed them when they installed the gutters. Once in a while I blow the leaves off of them with the leaf blower.

These:
https://www.amazon.com/Z-GUTTE...ZDM9?ref_=ast_bbp_dp

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
When I moved into our current home I picked up two new hobbies. Picking up fallen limbs from the roughly 35 trees and monthly gutter cleanings.

I cheeped out and got some expanded metal gutter screens at Lowes.

They just slip up under the shingles. They work but did not stay in place as well as I would like so I spent an afternoon drilling small holes in the top lip of the gutters and I zip tied them in place. I haven't cleaned a gutter in two years. IIRC Cost only about $1 per foot. I do have build up of debris in the inside corners due to the overshoot blockers that has to be cleaned a couple times a year.

I can't find the product online at Lowes but last I looked they still sold it.

I used the more open mesh vs the more closed mesh of some others because I was afraid the tighter mesh would not capture the water in a heave rain off a 6/12 pitch roof fast enough.

The open mesh does catch leaf stems and maple whirly birds some but they eventually work out.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have tried the plastic guard that looks like expanded metal. It comes in a 25' roll that is about 7 inches wide. You curve them a little and they go up under the edge of the roof and the lip of the gutter. the metal roof makes it a bit more difficult to make some of the guards work.

Jury is still out as to how they work. I am trying them first on the gutters that are closest to the trees before I go all in as I have a little over 1,000 feet of gutter in all and it will get pricey.

Posts: 868 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I bought and installed Costco gutter guards and am well satisfied. I needed the 6" version.

https://www.costco.com/EasyOn-...oduct.100019377.html

Posts: 4683 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
and! they are on Sale !

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
For those that have them two questions. First how do you get asphalt out? Second the friends I know that have them are lazy and don't do any kind of maintenance. Two of my neighbors have them, both have trees growing out of them. Seems pricey to me and not sure how you actually maintain them?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Put on Leaf Filters last year.
A little pricey but very high quality.
Work great.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
For those that have them two questions. First how do you get asphalt out? Second the friends I know that have them are lazy and don't do any kind of maintenance. Two of my neighbors have them, both have trees growing out of them. Seems pricey to me and not sure how you actually maintain them?

I have a 1 story house and the ones with the larger holes that I referenced above, they're humped shaped upwards, so most stuff blows off of them with the wind. Once every 3-4 months when my banyan tree drops a lot of leaves, I'll just stick the leaf blower along it and blow them off. One time in 4-5 years, I took one short section off to clear the drain area of built up debris of asphalt and small leaf particles.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought some cheap gutter guards from Lowes for 3 or 4 bucks a 2 ft sheet and they have worked fine for several years now. I'm sure there might be better products but for the price I paid I'm 100% satisfied.

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
I replaced my old open gutters with Leaf Guard gutters. They work. They have been in place for several years now with no clogs. Leaf Guard's method of attachment using internal brackets works well. Over time, the rolled edge will get dirty and affect performance to some degree, but it is not a serious issue. I bought them to keep from ever having to climb a ladder again, and I am not about to climb up to scrub the edges of the gutters. Any company's gutter guard will get dirty.

I considered Leafguard a few years ago and decided I could probably live with the upper guard portion of the Leafguard system staying dirty, but debris clings to the entire outside face of the gutters, and IMO, it makes the house look like crap, which means periodic powerwashing. It also told me that if it rains hard, water is directed outside the gutters, which defeats the purpose. I observed a neighbors house during a heavy rain and witnessed that myself.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I deal with a 60 year old pin oak that drops a gazillion leaves. That is my only tree nearby. The leaves and acorns blow right off and with 6" gutter I'm not going to worry about asphalt or dirt until there is an obvious reason. It is not a big deal to remove them, other than standing on and moving a ladder. 2 hex head self tapping screws are on each piece which are 48" iirc. could be a little shorter. There is an attached tape strip but I did not use it and after 2 years I've had zero issues with wind. Completely solved my problem.

I know of another house with same Costco gguards that has a large white pine close to the house. When the w pine sheds its needles they get lodged and are unsightly. I wouldn't be satisfied with them in that situation.

Posts: 4683 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
I know my mother looked into a variety of them and I did the math. She could hire a handyman to clean her gutters twice a year for the next 30 years (or more if the money was invested) for what they would cost to install.

I did that same math myself and came to that same conclusion. It works as long as you have a reliable gutter service, and I’ve been struggling with that lately. Had to fire my last guy, and unimpressed with the new guy.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
I bought and installed Costco gutter guards and am well satisfied. I needed the 6" version.

https://www.costco.com/EasyOn-...oduct.100019377.html

Another vote for Costco gutter guard. Installed a year ago. No issues. We have maple trees all around our house, lots of leaves and millions of the small seeds!

I had a leaf guard salesman stop and give me a quote prior to my install of Costco guards. He was worse than any used cars salesman I have ever dealt with. His first quote amount was $22,000! No typo, unbelievable. Then then sign today for the sale price.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
We had the 'helmet' type and they did not work well for us. Part of that might have been the combination of hard rain and steep/long roof but in storms the water came so hard it never went into the gutter, just slooshed off and around. Had a lot of rot damage in the soffits, etc.

So when I got new gutters this past year, I put in larger gutters without helmets for now, focusing on prevention (i.e. keeping nearby trees trimmed so they don't dump leaves/acorns/needles.)

When/if that approach fails, I will put on gutter guards of the type with pinholes. Consumer Reports did some testing link to CR video summary of the problems with foam inserts, surface tension-helmet types, and big-hole filters and the small-hole filter types actually let water in and kept the crud out.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! I'll try the costco ones.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I have used these on 2 homes that I have owned, as well as recommended to several more. They have performed flawlessly and improve the strength of the gutter during snow/ice season.

Leaf Relief

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I was at a gun show in San Antonio a few months ago, and I saw a neato product. It was a block of material that you drop into your gutters that take up the entire space so material can’t fall into it. It is porous so the water flows through. I talked to 5he girl, and I seem to remember the price wasn’t so bad.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1160 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post