SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ford Focus Question before I take it in for service
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ford Focus Question before I take it in for service Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
2017 Ford Focus ST, Manual...

When I let off the gas, it gives more gas. For instance, If I don't press the clutch and just let off gas, I won't lose acceleration or speed for a few seconds, even uphill.

If I press the clutch and let off the gas, it surges about 250 rpms in first, and about 1000 in 5th. So i'm guessing this is the same amount of gas based off gearing, not as though its dependent on what gear im in or how fast I'm going. It seems to be consistent.

Doesn't do it all the time, sometimes its right after start-up, sometimes its after getting off the highway after 30 minutes. Completely random

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
No direct knowledge, but sounds like a 'rev hang' type system (not sure if the ST has it, I know some manual Hondas do).
Though, I can't imagine a properly functioning system behaving like you describe.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply. Bumping for any others ideas or similar experiences

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
It seems that generation of Focus has nothing but big problems with transmissions. It seemed like it was only AT’s that had all the issues, but yours sounds like a problem too. It’s sad because I really liked the Focus and had a previous generation model for a few years which was a good car, but I don’t think I’d ever consider a current one. Maybe the dealer can reprogram something to fix that.

Posts: 33805 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
Ford Focus was called the Fuckus when it came out in 2000, looks like it has not changed!

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Google Focus ST rev hang. My 2017 ST does it and apparently, quite a few other newer manual transmission cars do as well. Push the clutch in and the engine picks up a few rpm and stays there for several seconds. It's annoying when shifting from third to say sixth as the car will surge forward because the engine's rpms are then too high. I've found that if I tap the accelerator just after pushing in the clutch, the rpms will drop immediately. My understanding is that it's some sort of fuel economy enhancing feature. It has nothing to do with the transmission.

I've read that you can request for it to be turned off as part of getting a custom tune.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is part of the hill assist if i am not mistaken. My wifes RS had a similar thing when we first bought it, we tuned it with in a month. I highly recomend adam at tune +.

We finally have her car back after the accident, and head gasket recall. We bought it in july, and did not have the car 1/2 the time till now. Not because of fors, but the accident.

Tuned she has about another 50-60hp and 50lbft of torque. The curve is just beastly.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFCUSARET:
Ford Focus was called the Fuckus when it came out in 2000, looks like it has not changed!

Not true.

I had a 2008 and it was pretty damn good. I'd even say it was put together better, had more power, and had a lower level of road noise than the Civic that replaced it.

Posts: 33805 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFCUSARET:

The 2010 I bought my daughter out of High School for college ran over 100K with teen age female driver, hauling stuff all over, simple oil changes, brake pads and tires, that's all it required until she traded it last year...

Posts: 23442 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post