SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Strange Conversation
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Strange Conversation Login/Join 
Picture of Airpusher
posted
Yesterday I had a conversation with a fellow that started with him asking if I thought the earth revolved around the sun. When I answered in the affirmative, he proceeded to explain to me that the earth is the center of the universe and everything revolved around it. He had several theories that were supported by "experts" I have never heard of. Up until this point, I had thought him to be a rational human being. You never know what is going on in someone else's mind.

A man is still only as good as his word

Posts: 220 | Location: Flowery Branch, Georgia | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
In general, I don't argue with idiots, or speak with them more than required.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Sadly, there are probably thousands who follow his scientific twatter feed, and take it as gospel.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Want to engage in strange conversations with people, come to downtown Tucson where homeless hang out..

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Well, at least he doesn’t seem to think that the earth is flat.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8946 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
There are people who are convinced the earth is flat

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Believe me I can understand strange and stupid conversations as I have a relative who is a flat earther Roll Eyes

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:
There are people who are convinced the earth is flat

How else do you explain folks keep disappearing when they get to the horizon? Eek

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
This is an actual growing movement Roll Eyes

https://nypost.com/2017/06/01/...t-the-world-is-flat/

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After my generation is relegated to the "home", humanity will implode. For real.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JimTheo:
After my generation is relegated to the "home", humanity will implode. For real.

without even a whimper, just a silly grin.

Posts: 6390 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
That reminds me. I have to order some phlogiston. My supply is starting to run low.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
I know a couple people that think the earth revolves around them.

Posts: 3235 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No stranger than the dude I ran across on patrol one night. He was changing a perfectly serviceable, fully inflated tire with the spare tire, which was identical to the one he was taking off the car.
He told me that the spare tire was "better".
I did not argue.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Airpusher:
Yesterday I had a conversation with a fellow that started with him asking if I thought the earth revolved around the sun. When I answered in the affirmative, he proceeded to explain to me that the earth is the center of the universe and everything revolved around it.

Maybe he's a time traveller... from the past.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Did he have a gun?

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Big Time

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I know that some here have already heard this but it "is" definitive proof that the Earth is not flat....Because if it were, cats would have already knocked everything off of it! Big Grin

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
As long as he believes that the rest of the Solar System (and the rest of the Universe) revolves around the Sun, his opinion is not without standing. Any point in the Universe can be considered the "center" as long as all other motions are maintained relative to it.

One can consider oneself the center of the Earth's surface, too, because it all stretches equally away from where one is.

It's all a matter of perspective.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
That reminds me. I have to order some phlogiston. My supply is starting to run low.

Bon mot!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post