SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you give your money to Netflix, here's what you're supporting
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you give your money to Netflix, here's what you're supporting Login/Join 
No double standards
posted Hide Post
What can I say Para, that is the norm for much of CA, particularly in the Bay Area, where Netflix HQ is located. Around here they start the brainwashing in first grade in the public schools.

A few months ago I found out one of my Eagle Scouts, on the high school wrestling team, has now decided he is a girl. I cry and vomit at the same time.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The largest shareholders in Netflix, by far, are Vanguard, Capital Group (American Funds), and Blackrock (including its iShares ETFs).

Thus, can I assume you boys are dumping any holdings you have in those related funds? If you’re going to censure, then don’t be half-ass.

Meanwhile, I’ll enjoy Narcos, Ozark, etc with a minuscule increase in connection / server performance given your immaterial reduction to Netflix’ global 180 million subscriber base.

You guys really should think more logically as to the true motives of a large, publicly-traded entity.

Lastly, given that Netflix’ user interface works by making recommendations based on your particular viewing patterns, bothersome programming should only be presented to you if you have a history of watching such.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

If I stopped watching every entertainment source because of content they have with which I disagree, political positions they support, or what-have-you, I might was well kick the TVs to the curb, because there'd be precious little to watch other than old re-runs of Home Improvement and Bonanza.

Yeah, while that program that started this all describes what is despicable ~ I wouldn't even have known without seeing this thread.
I try not to watch shit I don't embark.
This crap is everywhere ~ so either you have to put blinders on and watch the remaining decent content or join the sheeple-ban crew.
It's a tough choice and an uncomfortable one.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
This crap is everywhere ~ so either you have to put blinders on and watch the remaining decent content or join the sheeple-ban crew.

That's both an inaccurate and an unfair characterization. Just because a number of people agree with the position of another doesn't make them "sheeple." Any more than those who don't agree and just go with the flow are "sheeple."

It's just different opinions. Different places we draw our lines.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:

Exactly so. People have different tolerances for different things.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Uh huh. Go it. Different tolerances. I pity anyone who tolerates what we see in evidence in the video in my first post, because you're allowing yourself to be shit upon. That's what you're tolerating.

Rationalize all you like, but don't expect us to buy your rationalizations.

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Proud to say I cancelled my Netflix subscription a couple years back when this SJW political crap stared.

As a side note, I have had a very similar experience where a "female" patient with abdominal pain ended up having an unexpected "surprise" between the legs... Roll Eyes There's a reason we ask for "sex" not "gender" on medical documents. If you want to play games, that's what the "preferred name" field is for.

Posts: 427 | Location: Utah | Registered: March 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted July 29, 2020 12:42 PM Hide Post
The largest shareholders in Netflix, by far, are Vanguard, Capital Group (American Funds), and Blackrock (including its iShares ETFs).

Link to CEO Letter

Interesting that comes up, Blackrock's CEO sent a letter to company CEOs they invest in to get on the Climate Change bandwagon,or lose Blackrocks support as far as investment in their shares. Nice little extortion move, but hey they have funds that perform so it's ok....

Notice that while they don't want companies that are not moving forward on the climate change sustainability movement in their funds, they'll take your money and invest it to make a profit if you are not a climate change activist investor..

So now we're scolding people for following their personal principles, no matter how the long or short term effect will be?

So what if a member is dropping them, we're smart enough to know how it affects NetFlix, what you have are people who say, fine, if that's your agenda, then include me right out.

Nobody said it was going to kill off Netflix.

Posts: 23243 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:

Link to CEO Letter

Interesting that comes up, Blackrock's CEO sent a letter to company CEOs they invest in to get on the Climate Change bandwagon,or lose Blackrocks support as far as investment in their shares. Nice little extortion move, but hey they have funds that perform so it's ok....

Notice that while they don't want companies that are not moving forward on the climate change sustainability movement in their funds, they'll take your money and invest it to make a profit if you are not a climate change activist investor..

So now we're scolding people for following their personal principles, no matter how the long or short term effect will be?

So what if a member is dropping them, we're smart enough to know how it affects NetFlix, what you have are people who say, fine, if that's your agenda, then include me right out.

I wouldn’t waste my time reading the corporate spin of any business - Netflix or Blackrock. Amazon runs an ad proclaiming its stewardship of the environment and changes its streaming use interface to feature BLM-related movies & programs. Marriott runs ads proclaiming it follows the Golden Rule. And we - as children - learned Coke’s happy little song about global harmony. Given our current culture’s focus on “making the world a better place”, an organization will be criticized publicly for not projecting such a public image. But to assume that such social branding truly drives the business is as naive as assuming that Trump really gives a shit about your 2A rights. He only cares if it is good “for business” - ie votes. Netflix can only grow its earnings by growing its subscriber base. It really doesn’t care as to the personal traits of those individual subscribers. It offers a large portfolio of content titles to attract & retain subscribers.

That said, shareholder activism can be real but it manifests when company returns aren’t meeting expectations. Plus, Blackrock’s primary concern is whether it’s own funds perform well against their benchmarks.

The market doesn’t care about morals; it cares about earnings performance. Don’t get distracted by the superficial spin - whether it hails from Wall Street, Silicon Valley or the White House.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 12131:

Same here. Once the Obama's were noted as starting a production co for their content Netflix received a cancellation from us.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
quote:

Exactly so. People have different tolerances for different things.

So there is no right or wrong, merely different opinions?

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The problem with "tolerance" is that I have to tolerate (actually, embrace) all those folks but they are pretty short on tolerating me.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:

Sometime: Yes

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:

Sometime: Yes

There's the rub. Who determines black, white, or shades of grey?

No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
The problem with "tolerance" is that I have to tolerate (actually, embrace) all those folks but they are pretty short on tolerating me.

Tolerance and diversity are one way streets.

Picture of rocket72
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FHHM213:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:

Link to CEO Letter

I wouldn’t waste my time reading the corporate spin of any business - Netflix or Blackrock. Amazon runs an ad proclaiming its stewardship of the environment and changes its streaming use interface to feature BLM-related movies & programs. Marriott runs ads proclaiming it follows the Golden Rule. And we - as children - learned Coke’s happy little song about global harmony. Given our current culture’s focus on “making the world a better place”, an organization will be criticized publicly for not projecting such a public image. But to assume that such social branding truly drives the business is as naive as assuming that Trump really gives a shit about your 2A rights. He only cares if it is good “for business” - ie votes. Netflix can only grow its earnings by growing its subscriber base. It really doesn’t care as to the personal traits of those individual subscribers. It offers a large portfolio of content titles to attract & retain subscribers.

That said, shareholder activism can be real but it manifests when company returns aren’t meeting expectations. Plus, Blackrock’s primary concern is whether it’s own funds perform well against their benchmarks.

The market doesn’t care about morals; it cares about earnings performance. Don’t get distracted by the superficial spin - whether it hails from Wall Street, Silicon Valley or the White House.

Lol 'Golden Rule. ' Maybe we should go back to Silver Rule. Do not do onto others that which you would not do unto yourselves.

Posts: 1536 | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They're not pushing tolerance they forcing acceptance, support and actively promoting it. If they were promoting tolerance they'd tolerate people who didn't actually support it.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Oh, but don't forget- without Netflix, there's nothing to watch.

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
The market doesn’t care about morals...
They'll care about those who vote with their wallet.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the slight thread drift. Don't think this can stand about our President

FHHM213
quote:
But to assume that such social branding truly drives the business is as naive as assuming that Trump really gives a shit about your 2A rights. He only cares if it is good “for business” - ie votes.

Have to disagree here. Trump does give a shit about our 2nd amendment rights and I don't think it's about votes only.
+++LINK+++
"And on Monday night, as he came to the apex of an hour long campaign speech in New Hampshire, Trump framed his supporters’ Second Amendment right to bear arms as being as precious as the rights to privacy, free speech and religious freedom."

Posts: 4403 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post