SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you give your money to Netflix, here's what you're supporting
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you give your money to Netflix, here's what you're supporting Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
While it's possible for public pressure to cause a corporation or business to decide to make some change desired by the public, I fail to see how a petition can force Netflix to cease offering this film. If public opinion and rumblings from congressmen would have such an effect, I think we would have already reached that point.

Also, there's no doubt that the outcry about this film has given it far more exposure than it would get otherwise, and the people who run Netflix are twisted enough to look at all of this as being to their advantage, at least in the short term.

You can bet your bottom dollar that Netflix has acquired new customers because of the controversy, just so they can see the writhing 11 year old kids.

"I sit astride life like a bad rider on a horse. I only owe it to the horse's good nature that I am not thrown off at this very moment." - Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posts: 92577 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Also, there's no doubt that the outcry about this film has given it far more exposure than it would get otherwise, and the people who run Netflix are twisted enough to look at all of this as being to their advantage, at least in the short term.

The film has been on Netflix's Top 10 most viewed ranking since it premiered, so there's a case to be made for, "The only bad publicity is no publicity."

Posts: 1899 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Kind of amazing when it's obvious without the salacious stuff, the film is a dime a dozen kids look to find themselves story that has been done a thousand times before. Surely there are good and bad examples of the genre but I doubt enlightenment is at the top of Netflix viewers' list. This film did not have to be made.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 6357 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 92577 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post