SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to find companies or complete systems for pinhole home monitoring
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to find companies or complete systems for pinhole home monitoring Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted
A family member needs very low profile in home monitoring in own personal residence, nannycam sort of surveillance but unlike the camera-in-the-teddy-bear or alarm clock sort of thing needs a separate, private, hard wired system. How to find such a system or installer? This is a legit need with details that aren't appropriate for an open web forum, but I can share details offline. Renovations will be going on so there is time and access to make this work.

Respectfully, don't need posts about "if the situation/circumstances are that bad then get out". Believe me, I've already given that advice over and over.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Don't forget to check with a lawyer in that jurisdiction for legality issues.

I'm not familiar with the laws at all really, but phrases like "reasonable expectation of privacy" jump into my mind as a potential hazard.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
The previous poster is correct. In many jurisdictions it can be a criminal offense if you don't follow the regarding consent for audio and/or video recording. Often it can be a felony offense.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13482 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
If I read the original post correctly, the person who wants to do the video monitoring wants to do it in his / her "own private residence." Are there really restrictions on this?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30633 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
Yes, depending on the circumstances, even when recording in your home, you might be committing a crime.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Call Brickhouse Security they will have a solution

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
If I read the original post correctly, the person who wants to do the video monitoring wants to do it in his / her "own private residence." Are there really restrictions on this?

Sure. If your wife has a reasonable expectation of privacy in a home she shares with you, getting video of her boning her boyfriend on the couch may be more harmful than useful in the divorce proceedings. I honestly don't know how the law plays out in the OP's state, nor even in my own state, so getting advice would be prudent.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Holy Thread Drift Batman!

Just to get more of an idea of what the OP wants...
Are you wanting to record to, say an SD card, and get the recordings later, or are you wanting live internet viewing? Do you want to record 24/7 or on image motion detection?

How high - Res do you need? Just bodies, like an old cell-phone camera, or high res to identify strangers?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10887 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Good advice, and being passed along. Certainly not looking to violate any laws.

OK, since it seems more complicated... here goes. A relationship exists without marriage, common law or otherwise at this time. History of (alcohol fueled) female on male violence - repeatedly, with (alcohol fueled) false allegations filed with law enforcement that has gone to judges repeatedly, and repeatedly dismissed ... to the point that the judge told them to not live together (but of course can't order this). Stubborn insistence on the nature and appearance of a nuclear family for the sake of small children involved. (Again, yes, I know, bad idea, not ever going to work, etc etc. I've advised so ad nauseum).

Retrievable evidence without real time view requirements to be able to document the instigator and nature of contact should it happen again (or should claims be fabricated) was the stated goal. Subject is aware that eventually cohabitation will result in common law status which could affect personal rights, property rights etc. However, in spite of this has just bought a home and plans to renovate then move both parties and the children into the new home...

At least subject is actually meeting with one attorney in person Monday and speaking with another on the phone as well.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
You have mail with a local crew to contact presuming it is local.
While we may be a Commonwealth we don’t really have common law marriage status. While one may have to be formally evicted if they take up residence, property only becomes shared marital property upon actual legal marriage. Of course for civil court purposes on property disputes one would need to prove who purchased the items/property or else it is he said she said and the judge will shoot their best stick.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25402 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Might be smarter to have a cell phone nearby to record things as they go south. I can't imagine video taping someone in their home without their knowledge or consent is going to end well.

Optionally, having non-hidden cameras like a nest cam or Arlo would work to deter the bad behavior. The goal isn't to build a book of "gotcha" material-- that usually doesn't look good in court.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
The goal isn't to build a book of "gotcha" material-- that usually doesn't look good in court.

One can imagine: Court: "Let me see if the Court has this right: You maintained cohabitation knowing there would be abuse, against the Court's recommendation, and set up hidden monitoring to prove it when it inevitably happened, is that right?"

Yeah, that'll go well, I'm sure

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
The goal isn't to build a book of "gotcha" material-- that usually doesn't look good in court.

One can imagine: Court: "Let me see if the Court has this right: You maintained cohabitation knowing there would be abuse, against the Court's recommendation, and set up hidden monitoring to prove it when it inevitably happened, is that right?"

Yeah, that'll go well, I'm sure

What could possibly go wrong? Smile

Posts: 6909 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
It seems a mini-recorder or cell phone recorder app would be enough to get one started. The mini-recorder is on Amazon of course.

I could see it more as potential ‘protection’ if false allegations are made. As posted, there are larger issues to deal with besides electronic ‘proof’ of behavior.

Posts: 6152 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a lost cause to me... why spend thousands of dollars on a video/audio recording system to prove something that has already been documented and proved....

simple fact: "People are bat ass crazy"

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
Common-law marriage can still be contracted in Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Montana, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, and the District of Columbia.

I took this from Wikipedia, so I am not 100% sure it is right but based on my limited knowledge, it seems reasonable. I would consult the laws of the State he lives in. I would also note, that the states that allow Common-Law Marriages require both parties to "consent" to being married. If he never acts as if they are married, it would be difficult for that to actually happen.

I am not sure I would do the cameras in "secret". Let her know they are there and maybe she will behave and harmony will follow.

No charge for my $0.02. Good Luck

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Great, helpful advice everyone. Thank you.