SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My Senior in High School just made his college decision.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Senior in High School just made his college decision. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My youngest son went to Ohio Northern U.

It not only was expensive when he started, but every year it went up.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
If I had it to do over again not sure I would have gone the private route.

I was wondering if you would mind elaborating. Anything other than the price? My oldest is considering a private U.

Posts: 516 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in the supply chain planning field, we are growing at a solid rate and are hiring consultants out of schools with solid programs every year, its a good choice. Then again he's 18 and may change his mind again 20 times before he graduates.....

Posts: 1702 | Location: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: September 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imfrogman:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
It sounds like he made a great choice financially. UNC charlotte is a good school......

not compared to chapel Hill

As White Males, neither of my sons were acceptable to Chapel Hill.

My oldest had a 4.4 GPA, a bunch of AP classes, 3 varsity letters, a part time job and a perfect score on the math section of the SAT. He was waitlisted at Chapel Hill. A girl in his class barely made it through Calculus, and would have failed if he didn't tutor her, was an early admit to Chapel Hill.

My youngest, wasn't even interested in applying there after what happened to his brother.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
The only thing I would recommend is that he thinks about two years in community college.

He considered it, but he did dual enrollment his senior year of High School so he already has one semester at the community college done. He is going to transfer to UNCC with 3 semesters of college completed.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
My son is finishing up his Senior year of H/S and thanks to Floridas dual enrollment program, he has basically gone to a University full time this year, for free - 26 credits plus some from AP classes his Junior year. Basically a handful of credits short of starting college as a sophomore.

He has also bagged full tuition to the school of his choice, so we'll only need to cover room and board, but have some saved up for that - so he should come out with his BS in 3 years debt free and should he continue down his current path (Doctor), he'll be able to take on the large amount of debt that is going to require.

We will likely assist with that (post Batchelor education), depending on whatever else is going on, but feel no obligation to do so.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
One of my kids is a UNC-Charlotte grad. We have no debt accrued for that endeavor.

Solid choice. The school is up-and-coming and there seemed to be way less of the SJW nonsense prevalent in Chapel Hill.

Nicely done.

-----------------------------------

That sounds about right.

When I got my rejection letter from UNC for their MBA program, they didn't give specific reasons. The letter listed multiple generic reasons with the one catching my eye being "diversity of the graduating class."

Basically, if you're black or hispanic, your chances of getting in are better just because. If you're female and black or hispanic, that would stack the odds in your favor even more. They can check 2 boxes that way. If you're a black lesbian, you're damn near guaranteed admission, I bet.

Posts: 13110 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not looked at college prices lately, but that sounds like a pretty good set up.

I was in college 2000-2005 and my parents told me they would pay tuition/room/board/etc so long as I had a 3.5gpa or higher. I did have to go to an in state school or have good scholarships if I was going out of state. Kept me in line that’s for sure, only had one semester below 3.5 and my mom decided my dad didn’t need to know Smile

I was thinking about doing that for my daughter (only 4 at the moment), but your $50k plan sounds better. I know out of state tuition can get crazy, so that might be one way to keep her close to home, haha.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My uncle paid for my college, along with a European tour. Also a nice tour of the Korean peninsula. Uncle is a great believer in diversity and travel. Also outdoor living.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a wise decision by an obviously smart son!

My daughter is just finishing her first year at an out-of-state college... Berry College in Rome, GA. Being a private institution, the tuition and other fees for her topped $52K for the first YEAR!!! Thankfully we didn't have to pay a penny as her grades and SAT scores in high school brought in enough scholarships and grants to pay her way with a little left over.

Halfway through her first year she was already a sophomore, so after the summer courses she is about to take, I *think* she will be a junior next year (her 2nd year at college). Even with the study abroad in Ireland she is planning for next year, I'm pretty sure she is on track for graduating in three years. I just hope she is able to DO something with her degree when she is finished and gets a good job! Sounds like your son is on-track for a real job before he even starts... smart young man!!! My daughter is chasing her dreams... just hope she can catch them. Cool

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you've got a smart son there...good job, dad! I worked at a private university for almost 10 years, and it never ceased to amaze me how much money kids pissed away a.) taking the same classes that were available at the local community college for 1/10th the price and b.) insisting on living on campus all four years even though mom and dad lived in town, just so they could have the "college experience." Most of them are now learning that that "experience" comes with $50k in debt at graduation, and many have had to move back in with mom and dad just to make ends meet.

The fact that he researched career opportunities and has chosen a major with good job prospects that fit his interests before even starting school also puts him way ahead of many in his age group. You have a right to be a proud dad!

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post