SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A question about portable generator sizing vs load
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A question about portable generator sizing vs load Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I was just watching a YouTube video of a portable generator with a wireless remote start fob. I thought that might be useful in some situations. It seems there are a lot of the Chinese made generators with Yamaha engines in the market now, under some different names. They seem to be very well priced.

If you are inclined to watch a 19 minute video it is interesting, or skip to the 17 minute mark to see the remote start.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/mLrF7VgbJME

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
Currently looking at the Champion Power line products.

Got any other links? Asking me for permission to track GPS. Which size are you considering? Based on your desired loads 7kw is a little big, but generators are like gun safes, you don't want to buy the size for the number of guns you currently own.

It is Tractor Supply trying to figure out your location. Smile I lineed to a filter of their dual fuel models.

From what I can tell, something with a startup capacity of 3200-3500 watts should outfit the RV and all of the demands it can put on it. That said, tricks like switching fridge and water heater to propane might be needed if running microwave, ac, and hair dryer. I doubt usage will be that extreme though. The RV is fed off a 30 am circuit so it can't be that crazy max load.

I had thought to upsize to get load more in the 50-70% range and figure something in the 5k watt range shold suffice.

Price wise, jumps in sizes aren't crazy. Think ballparks of $300 for 3k $500 for 5k and $900 for 7k.

I haven't narrowed down exact model yet. I scratch and sniff a lot. Smile

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post