SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help identify a vintage Marine Corps men's ring ...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help identify a vintage Marine Corps men's ring ... Login/Join 
Picture of Hobbs
posted
Vintage Marine Corps sterling silver men's ring. Was in my mother's jewelery box. She passed away last November, age 83.
NO idea who's ring it was or how old it is.
Obviously it's very worn. An unknown veteran wore this ring proudly for many decades. Oorah !!! :SALUTE:

Would love to know approx age and any other anecdotal information. There is no inscription on the inside anywhere. Sterling silver is a guess based on patina. Thank You

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Looks homemade.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
... all I know is someone wore the heck out of it. Not even sure if all that wear could even be done in one generation.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10 November, 1775
Picture of MarinetoRN
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, you may never know. Back in the day, "trench rings" were made out of whatever material was at hand. It may not be that it was worn a lot; but rather, its just the material it was made of. I could be 100 percent wrong.

SiGArm'd

P220ST X2, 1911 Revolution, P245, P229 RTTEQ/ST .40 X2, P226ST, Mosquito
Other weaponry not SIG

Glocks are ugly.
I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders.

Posts: 2471 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: August 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Looks like WWII vintage, likely 1940s...relative?

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
The stories it could tell...

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Marines, soldiers, sailors, airmen have been and still buy "moto" stuff especially when they are boots. Exchanges and shops near bases are full of it. It's not an issue piece of gear or any kind of award. It looks like ones that were common in WW2 time frame. Pillows, knives, lighters and jackets were common back then (and now) as well.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
Vintage Marine Corps sterling silver men's ring. Was in my mother's jewelery box. She passed away last November, age 83.
NO idea who's ring it was or how old it is. . .

It's a damned shame, Hobbs, that you got the ring but not the story behind it.

When someone like your mother dies, it's like a library burning down. So much knowledge lost.

I hope you get the story. Maybe another still-living relative knows the ring's history?

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
I found some vintage military rings on ebay that look very similar to the design of this ring. All are said to be WWII/1940's rings.

It's a complete mystery how my mom came to have this ring. I have one (deceased 2016) cousin who was in the Marine Corps during Vietnam but I'm quite sure this isn't his ring.

At one time my mom cruised antique auctions and maybe she picked it up at some kind of estate sale or something. She only ever bought antique furniture and knick-knacks, not jewelery though. Maybe it was in some old something or other thing she bought. I will likely never know the story and I'm sure this ring has a story or two to tell. My mom took that information and knowledge with her.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I don't think that ring ever had any higher level of detail. The globe, for example, is not smooth only on the high spots. It's uniformly smooth. This appears to be handmade, and not by a professional jeweler.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
It’s a cool piece. Hopefully you can get a story of how your mother came to get a hold of it.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post