SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    May a proud parent brag up his 9th grader for a minute?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

May a proud parent brag up his 9th grader for a minute? Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
SO freeking proud of Michael. 4.2 GPA Honor Roll after first Trimester in 9th Grade. He's taking advance math and science classes which I guess is the reason he has a higher GPA than 4.0?

Kid wants to join The Corps after high school but with the classes he's taking and the grades he gets, I'm exploring what it would take to get him into Annapolis. He's just wicked smart.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations it's something to be proud of.

The world is his for the taking if he choses. The only limit to his future is his imagination.

Those aren't clichés.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Congrats!!!

Although my 9th grader doesn't have the perfect grades, mostly A's with a few B's, he broke the 1 mile record at his jr. high school, runs a 1:44 1/2 marathon, and works out with me daily at 5am. With a 20lb vest..

He wants to be a Jarhead as well. His best friend is a USMC Viet Nam vet.

Congrats on raising a good kid, it's not an easy job. I feel like I have my foot up his butt 24/7.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, tell him well done!

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1526 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Way to go, Michael! Looks like your raising a good son there, Ronin.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Congrats on raising a good kid, it's not an easy job. I feel like I have my foot up his butt 24/7.

I hear you, brother. It took my wife years to realize that it was the 'work' I put into them (twins) when they 8, 9, and 10 that has paid off now that they are teens. Sure, they need to be tightened up from time-to-time, but I could not be more proud of both of them.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Congrats.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Ronin, take a look at the Boy's State program. It is put on by the American Legion and the academies all seem to take notice when a young man has won an invitation to Boy's State. I believe one of my high school teachers or coaches nominated me and I was selected after the interviews for candidates had ended.

Not pursuing that avenue has been a bit of a regret of mine. Not to say that I would have been accepted but not going for the opportunity has preyed on my mind from time to time.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Posts: 5693 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Kid wants to join The Corps after high school but with the classes he's taking and the grades he gets, I'm exploring what it would take to get him into Annapolis. He's just wicked smart.

Well, he can go to Annapolis and graduate with a commission as a USMC 2ndLt.

Does he play any sports? Any community service type stuff? It's been a long, long time since I was looking, but one thing I'm pretty sure hasn't changed is that they're looking for incredibly well rounded while maintaining stellar grades.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:

I hear you, brother. It took my wife years to realize that it was the 'work' I put into them (twins) when they 8, 9, and 10 that has paid off now that they are teens. Sure, they need to be tightened up from time-to-time, but I could not be more proud of both of them.

It's funny because some of our friends think we are too tough with our kids because they are home schooled (up at 6:00 AM) and work on the farm til dark most every day. Coffeeaddict's typical response is 'We may be tough, but I like being around my kids and I can't say that about most kids' Big Grin It gets a double take sometimes, especially from those who have lazy or troublesome kids.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Congrats to your son and best wishes for his continued academic success!

Mike

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2079 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
REDACTED!!!! CONSPIRACY!!! Big Grin

Seriously though, I love it when you ladies and gents brag about you children. Every victory counts in raising a new generation. Congrats to you all!

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29682 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
That's awesome!

Congrats to you and your wife as well!

Posts: 1800 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Congratulations.

It ain't bragging if you can do it.!!!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
Congrats to dad and son.
USMC aviator.
The Corps needs pilots.

Posts: 458 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
REDACTED!!!! CONSPIRACY!!! Big Grin

Seriously though, I love it when you ladies and gents brag about you children. Every victory counts in raising a new generation. Congrats to you all!

My 4th grade grandson got a mixed report. His teacher said he is still having a hard time passing 2nd grade math. But then she reported he has already passed 9th grade reading.

A couple of years ago he called me and very intently asked "grandpa, what is the connection between Pearl Harbor and Hiroshima? Seems his thinking is on a different frequency than most 4th graders.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katndog
posted Hide Post
Nice

Posts: 2629 | Location: CT | Registered: October 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Keep those grades through high school and he can go just about where ever he wants including Annapolis.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Congrats and well done.

But I must confess that at my age this business of GPAs that exceed 4.0 continues to baffle me. As in my day that was as high as you could get. Oh well..... new math maybe? LOL

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16183 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post