SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Riding bike up slopes - got rings & cassette. Tires?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Riding bike up slopes - got rings & cassette. Tires? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I got my new (used) 29er back from the shop. Tuned up and fixed. I took it for a short spin on one of my usual trails.

I couldn't make it up the slopes. It was too hard for me. Pedaling the 29er seems harder for some reason. And then I couldn't get the gear ratio down low enough for me to up hill.

So, I'm thinking I need a smaller ring or cassette with more cogs (currently 8 cogs).

On my 26, I can do most of my routes with 2 rings up front, 8 cogs in back. So, I think another smaller ring up front may be enough. Then just need shifter and derailleur (same chain okay I presume).

But 10-12 cogs in the rear, going up to 40T(?) sounds more flexible and may be good enough too. But, then I'd need the cassette (more expensive than a ring?), new rear derailleur, new shifter and new chain.

So, the cassette route sounds much more expensive. But would that be the recommended route, cost not a factor? Or would the ring route be more recommended?

If it matters, I have a SRAM X7 rear and grip shifter. Seems okay but not entirely fond of it either. So, not entirely averse to changing it out if the cassette route is clearly the recommendation.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: konata88,

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would check with the shop, they should know how t set the gearing up. There are many factors that go into gear choices besides final ratio.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What are your current chainrings and is the crank a double or a triple? What are the bolt circle diameter(s) for the chainrings?

You may be able to get a significantly lower low gear at much less expense by changing the middle or granny chainrings for smaller ones or even installing a new crank.

Posts: 1571 | Location: SW PA | Registered: November 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Eight speed cassettes are dated. One and two speed chainrings are in for a reason. If you you upgrade the cassette, you'll need a new chain. Ten speed cassettes are pretty narrow.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ride in the mountains of Western North Carolina on a Santa Cruz Talkboy 29r. I have a 22t single ring up front and an 11 speed 11-46t in the back. This set up does a really good job For most of the rides I do which can include some pretty steep stuff. Check out the Suntour replacement cassettes which is what I have now. Good luck.

Made in Texas, in the good ole' U.S. of A.

Posts: 241 | Location: Western North Carolina | Registered: May 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
29er has 1 ring up front but not sure what size. Not sure how to check but I'll try to take a look later. I think stock it came with 3 rings but when I picked it up (used), it only had 1 ring (ebike conversion?).

If I do the front, I'm thinking:
1) Ring: No clue $25
2) Shifter: No clue $40
3) Derailleur: No clue $25
Parts total ~$100

If I do the rear, I'm thinking:
1) Cassette (if it fits): Shimano SLX CS-7000 11-42t $65
2) Derailleur: Shimano SLX RD-M7000 $60
3) Chain: Shimano XT CN-HG701-11 $40
4) Shifter: Shimano SLX SL-M7000 $40
Part total ~$200

For cost, I'm leaning toward getting a smaller ring and I think it'll be good enough to get up up slopes. I'm curious about the cassette path but it costs too much without being certain that it'll fit my needs. Unless I can a bike to test on slopes.

I'll stop by the shop again and see what they recommend as functional and cost effective way to do this.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by batex:
I have a 22t single ring up front and an 11 speed 11-46t in the back. This set up does a really good job For most of the rides I do which can include some pretty steep stuff.

Thanks! That's a good data point. I'll keep that in mind when I go to the shop.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I counted the teeth on the small and big rings of my 26: ~20-24T on the small ring, ~48T on the big ring.

The ring on the 29 has ~48T which explains why I couldn't make it up hill....

I think stock rear cassette of 8 cog 11-32T is driving me to 2 rings up front (~22-32T) and maybe even 3 rings.

The alternative is to get replace the 48T with ~22T and upgrade the rear cassette to ~11-46T. No matter what, I need to do something with the front ring.

posted Hide Post
I have a Cannondale 29 that came with 2 or 3 chainrings up front. I had my guy convert it to a single chainring. They added a “hop up” gear in back. I think that is what they called it. I had plenty of low gear not enough high end so he changed the chainring up front. Much better.

Last year I bought a single chainring Specialized. It came that way and it is fantastic. Once you get the single set up correctly you won’t ever go back for a mountain bike. IMO.

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The way I read it you have an 8 speed cassette currently and one chain ring upfront. You're severely limited in gear ratios due to the setup. Single speed setups are popular but somewhat gimped for climbing. 27 speeds offer great gear ratio options but are overkill. I run a 1 x 11 setup on my 27.5" DH mountain bike and run out of climbing gears on the really steep stuff. I'm on a 32T front and a 11-42T rear cassette. I'd like to move to 30T front and 11-46T rear eventually. Yes, I'll lose top speed but that's not usually an issue on my bike since it's DH oriented.

Couple of things. 11 speed cassettes require special chains that are narrower. Most likely the easiest change if you already have a front derailleur and front shifter would be to just add a chain ring upfront and have make the necessary adjustments. If you cannot add a chain ring upfront and/or don't have a shifter already, then a cassette with a wider range (11-46T) and something like a 30T upfront would offer a pretty good range of gearing. Much smaller upfront and you'll neuter your ability to go very fast on the flats. You'd need to check if your current rear derailleur can index more than 8 speeds. Also, what cassette options you have for your rear hub. Any decent bike shop should be able to give you options pretty easily.

My buddy who runs a 29" DH has 30T upfront and 9-46T in the back I believe. He's a strong rider and still runs out of gears occasionally in CO. The way I understand it, the larger 29" wheel size will be harder to get rolling initially but will roll with greater ease once momentum is gained. When we ride I feel like that's the case. I can get off to a good start but he seems to eat up the trail a little easier as we're moving. Downhill I have 6" of travel (and he has 4.5") and I can charge stuff a bit harder so it makes up for the lost climbing and what not.

There are also some bike gearing calculators out there that will help you with gear ratios if you so desire.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Why don't you look up the correct parts for the bike as delivered and just put the original spec chainrings, derailleurs, etc. on the front? That might cost $150. One chainring. One derailleur. One shifter. Done. Don't make this terribly hard. Likely as not, the parts are still available, even used, and all the original cable routing lugs and derailleur mounting points exist.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Stopped by the bike shop. Decided on 3 front rings and derailleur (all shimano). SRAM trigger shifters for front and rear; get rid of the rear grip shifter. $200.

So, after this, I’ll be $400 into the bike. I can upgrade to a 9 cog cassette for another $100, moving it from 32t to 36t. But instead I’ll use the $100 for a new seat and maybe new stem. And then a cateye and a lock. Oh, and need to replace one tire.

So, after about $600, hopefully I’ll have a decent 29er.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
After some further research and learning more about gear ratios, I decided upon the following:

1) Shimano HG400 9 cog 11-34T cassette. I have 32T on my 26 and it's been mostly okay (although some hills are a struggle). Bike shop said the difference between 32T and 34T on the 29er will be noticeable so even the the gear ratio seems similar, the noticeable difference will be good on hills for which I struggle to go up on my 26.

2) New cassette means I need to upgrade my shifter (SRAM X5) and chain. Shop said I could keep my X7 derailleur.

3) I had to get 3 rings up front - the current large ring is made designed to be used singlely only. Shimano Deore M532 3 ring set.

4) I'm also getting a new stem and bar - the current one has me leaning too far forward.

All told, I'm going to be out about $400. Plus the $200 I already sunk for tuneup, brakes and chain.

I need to replace at least one tire -- it's a Specialized FastTrak (or something like that); 29x2.0. But it's almost bald.

I have Panaracer FireXC Pro on my 26 and they've been pretty good. They don't have a 29" that will fit my bike.

Any recommendations for a tire that is great for:
1) traction on loose gravel over hard pack, sand, rock, and (wet) pavement?
2) durable / puncture resistant as good as the FireXC Pro?

Maxxis Ardent? Conti Trail King?