This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/2260021184

April 08, 2021, 02:26 PM
Balzé Halzé
United Airlines goes there: Vows affirmative action for pilots
This ought to work out brilliantly.

United Airlines goes there: Vows affirmative action for pilots
By Thomas Lifson
Airline pilot is one of those jobs, along with brain surgeon, that used to be used as an example of the type of position for which affirmative action was obviously unsuited. Who wants to board an aircraft or go under the knife with someone in charge chosen for factors other than ability? Lives are at stake, after all. Anything less than the absolute best should be unacceptable.

Yet, in this age of identity politics madness, United Airlines proudly proclaimed its intention to choose half of its pilot training recruits based on skin color and X-chromosomes:

Uh, no. I won't fly on an airline that prioritizes anything over pure ability when it comes to pilots. And, because United's hub at San Francisco has been my primary airport for more than three decades (many of which were years of heavy travel), I've generated hundreds of thousands of dollars in revenue for UAL. I was a Premier Executive–level frequent traveler with them for many years. I just flew across an ocean on one of their 777s less than two weeks ago.

But piloting is a seriously demanding job, and the consequences of even small errors can be deadly. In the hands of a skilled pilot, the landing of a big airplane like a 777 can be a thing of beauty that looks easy.

The End of an Era, or the Return to an Earlier One?

But it isn't:

Would a future Sully Sullenberger, the pilot hero of the "Miracle on the Hudson" water landing, be passed over because he is a pale male? After all, half the slots in United's pilot training program would be off limits, so chances are pretty good he would be. The same goes for Al Hanes, who landed United 232, a DC-10 that had a complete hydraulic failure, at Sioux City Airport and managed to save many of the lives — alas, not all — of his passengers through incredible improvisational skills. His lack of melanin and his Y-chromosomes would close half the slots to him.

Tucker Carlson opened his show last night with nearly ten minutes on United's virtue-signaling at the expense of safety. He made many solid points, and I embed the full segment below.

United used to be a conventional commercial air carrier. It flew airplanes from place to place, most of the time uneventfully. That was the old United Airlines. The new United is very different. It's a combination of a hyper-aggressive corporate HR department, and a left-wing political action committee. The new United is big on moral pronouncements and mandatory social engineering. (snip)

An airline pilot transports hundreds of people at a time in a thin-walled metal tube going nearly 600 miles an hour, 35,000 feet off the ground. Flying a commercial airliner is dangerous. Like performing heart surgery, no matter how many times you've done it, it's inherently high stakes. People die if you screw up. In the airline business, as in medicine, not killing people is all that matters. So, how will racial and gender quotas make United Airlines safer? That's the only question that matters.

Read more: https://www.americanthinker.co...s.html#ixzz6rTQeOifI

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle
April 08, 2021, 02:35 PM
nhracecraft
Well, I'll be flying Southwest, IF I fly anywhere...

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!
April 08, 2021, 02:44 PM
konata88
Along these lines, perhaps Tesla auto drive is racist. It drives like a white male. There should be options to have it drive like a Taiwan taxi driver, an old Chinese lady, a Mexican low rider, and such.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
April 08, 2021, 02:45 PM
V-Tail
Just when I was thinking that things could not get any dumber, they come up with something new that raises (lowers?) the bar.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
April 08, 2021, 02:46 PM
corsair
How does this square with the pilot's union?
April 08, 2021, 02:49 PM
AKSuperDually
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
How does this square with the pilot's union?
Unions love cancel culture.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com
April 08, 2021, 02:50 PM
cslinger
I don’t care if the pilot is a gay, minority, female, midget Asian with a speech impediment just as long as she is the best damn pilot in the sky.

I don’t want any third rate white dudes who skated through because of who they knew either.

Basically, what I’m saying and I know this is crazy talk but for me personally I want the best pilot possible up there in the cabin flying my happy ass around. Call me crazy.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."
April 08, 2021, 02:54 PM
PowerSurge
Thanks United for telling me you don’t want me flying on your airline. I want the best and you don’t have it.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1
April 08, 2021, 03:03 PM
darthfuster
Hiring based on any criteria other than the most competent regardless of race is a recipe for disaster.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier
April 08, 2021, 03:07 PM
parabellum

April 08, 2021, 03:12 PM
mrapteam666
I believe it was last year or the year before that the FAA tried this or was going to institute the same policy in regards to Air Traffic Controllers.

So, this scheme should work out real well.
April 08, 2021, 03:33 PM
1s1k
They should first start with firing half of their management. They have 80% white males in upper management and clearly they could be replaced by females and people of color with no adverse affects.
April 08, 2021, 03:44 PM
vthoky
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
they come up with something new

Well, evidently fonts can be racist too now.
www.foxnews.com/media/cnn-fonts-racist-asianness

God bless America.
April 08, 2021, 04:06 PM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
they come up with something new
Well, evidently fonts can be racist too now.
www.foxnews.com/media/cnn-fonts-racist-asianness
Help meeeeee . . .

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
April 08, 2021, 04:19 PM
Balzé Halzé
The Idiocracy clip...

Perfect.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle
April 08, 2021, 05:56 PM
nhtagmember
and here I was thinking that I might fly United to the east coast

take a bad situation and United found a way to make it worse
April 08, 2021, 05:56 PM
Flash-LB
I quit flying United years ago when they left me high and dry in Seatac and when I asked what they could do for me, they said nothing, turned off the lights and went out through a locked door at the ticket window.
April 08, 2021, 06:17 PM
whanson_wi
What do they do if they cannot find 2500 protected class that even want the job? Force them somehow?

In this case, I'm sure they'll have many that *think* they want to be pilots. When they see the hours, the stress, etc, how many will stick around?

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.
April 08, 2021, 07:06 PM
PASig
Like what Para alluded to, who knew we’d be living out the plot of Idiocracy 500 years sooner than expected?

Eek

April 08, 2021, 07:33 PM
ZSMICHAEL
I am really not surprised to see this. Affirmative action has been going on in colleges for 50 years. Now the NFL and the NBA suffer from a lack of diversity. I personally might watch the Lakers play with four short white guys on the roster. While we are at it, we need some Asian quarterbacks.

All ridiculous.