SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Passport error Part Deux
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Passport error Part Deux Login/Join 
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted
The local university opened a passport office so we took advantage of it and went to start the process. My passport came in and it says I was born in Mexico. I guess people who processed the passport fail to realize that New Mexico was the 47th state in the union. This may be a good submission to New Mexico magazine in their column "One of our fifty is missing."

They have not sent my birth certificate back so how do I correct this?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: k5blazer,

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Wow. Good luck.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
My favorite story along these lines. The world is filled with genuinely, profoundly stupid people:

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1...abd34923a387d6b3ee98

Miller was assured volleyball tickets were still available, and things went smoothly until the ticket agent asked Miller for his address. Miller, 31, gave the woman his address in Santa Fe.

``She put me on hold, then came back and said she couldn't sell tickets to someone who lives outside of the United States. She said I needed to call my own national committee,'' Miller said.

You might be thinking now that this was just a minor mixup, that the ticket seller just didn't hear the word `New.'

But Miller spent a half-hour trying to convince the ticket agent and a supervisor that New Mexico has been a state since 1912.

``I told her I was calling from New Mexico and emphasized the New,'' Miller said. ``She told me, `Sir, New Mexico, old Mexico, it doesn't matter. I understand it's a territory, but you still have to go through your nation's Olympic committee.'''

When the ticket agent turned the call over to her supervisor, Miller met with similar resistance.

``I asked them, `You've never heard of Los Alamos, where they did all the atomic testing?' It's right next to Arizona, underneath Colorado, next to Texas and Oklahoma, there is a state called New Mexico. It's a beautiful state with mountains, snow and trees. ... We have a big city called Albuquerque.''

Miller said the supervisor suggested he contact the Mexican or Puerto Rican Olympic committees.

``What if I told you I lived in Colorado, California, Arizona, Texas or Oklahoma?'' Miller asked the supervisor.

He was told that would be no problem.

``I told her New Mexico is right in between all those states.''

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Somebody should run for Congress.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Russia has invaded Korea!

Posts: 12580 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you receive your passport at your address from the United States Department of State? If so, your supporting documents will usually arrive a few days later. This information from the National Passport Center is helpful . . .
"These documents are usually sent separately from the new passport. If they do not arrive after a couple of weeks, please contact the National Passport Information Center by calling 1-877-487-2778 toll free."

Then you get to send off your newly minted passport and your birth certificate all over again.

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k5blazer:

Obviously you have a duplicate, or at least a copy, right?

But anyway, if these geniuses thought you were born in Mexico, what other proof besides your birth certificate told them that you were a US Citizen? That's pretty ridiculous. As they say, stupid is as stupid does.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vicariously Tactical
Picture of Mike729
posted Hide Post
quote:
The local university opened a passport office so we took advantage of it and went to start the process. My passport came in and it says I was born in Mexico. I guess people who processed the passport fail to realize that New Mexico was the 47th state in the union. This may be a good submission to New Mexico magazine in their column "One of our fifty is missing."

You didn't skip work to go to Thursday's protest did you? Big Grin

Posts: 1715 | Location: Tallahassee | Registered: August 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think you can get a replacement from the issuer. Most likely the vital records office of the county where you were born.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Assuming you don't get it back from them in a week or so, go here:
https://nmhealth.org/about/erd/bvrhs/vrp/birth/

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Recall a story that the governor of New Mexico applied for a magazine subscription. The company refuse to send him it as he didn't live in the U.S.
Supposedly that was why New Mexico had "USA" on its license plates

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I'm continually amazed at how many foreign members are here. Greetings from the USA K5blazer!

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I immigrated to New Mexico in 1979. And back to the U.S. in 1988. No problems at either border.

Seriously though I had a check sent by my parents that I attempted to cash at the National Bank of Detroit (yeah, a long time ago) at a branch in Southfield. The teller refused and told me that I had to take it to the main office in downtown Detroit as they could not process a check from a foreign country at any branch.

I had to "educate" her about New Mexico.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had a post-doctoral fellow from New Mexico who was hired in the department I used to work in. When she went to fill out her employee paperwork the person in HR insisted that she needed to have "immigration papers" to process her paperwork.

People are stupid.

Posts: 820 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
What amazes my wife is that they sent the passport to the correct address in New Mexico.

Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
Tell the idiots to look it up on the internet.

After all, they believe that everything on the internet is true or else it wouldn't be there!

Dipsticks, every one of them.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vicariously Tactical
Picture of Mike729
posted Hide Post
Speaking of being educated about New Mexico. I lived there for about a year (Socorro, worked at WSMR) and the first thing you learn is "red or green" so you don't look like a dumbass at restaurants. Razz

Posts: 1715 | Location: Tallahassee | Registered: August 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Hopefully you won't be deported by the Trump DHS/ICE! Big Grin

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike729:
Speaking of being educated about New Mexico. I lived there for about a year (Socorro, worked at WSMR) and the first thing you learn is "red or green" so you don't look like a dumbass at restaurants. Razz

Had to add this: If you're from Albuquerque

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
I call the state department and they tell me to send it back along with a letter explaining the correction, a new application, and my birth certificate. Also send it priority mail. So I send in the correct forms. today the passport comes in and now multiple fields are unreadable. DOB, Place of birth, Expiration date, and issue date are unreadable. Looks like a little calendar was printed over these. There goes my trip to Mexico in two weeks.