SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Having trouble planning your next riot? Contact the Berkeley Police Department for help! Free passes for assault and 'symbolic' arrests for the media!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Having trouble planning your next riot? Contact the Berkeley Police Department for help! Free passes for assault and 'symbolic' arrests for the media! Login/Join 
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Those cops on the video don't look happy to be in that position. They've got orders to stand down and looks like they don't like it.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I don't think they even care.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Symbolic arrests? Roll Eyes

Do those appear on your real rap sheet or or symbolic rap sheet?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Any police department that engages in this kind of ridiculous, childish, moronic, grabastic freakin' nonsense is thoroughly and perpetually fucked.

They can all go fuck themselvs. Symbolically, of course. Roll Eyes

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Of course

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
"Symbolic Arrests?"

That has to be a joke right?

You are coordinating with The Man, so you can look like you're sticking it to The Man? Roll Eyes

"Look man, can you, like, arrest me, but not really? I don't want to actually go to jail, but there's this chick and she's hot on protest'n n' shit. I ain't down with the cause, but I gotta snuggle wit the struggle, knowwhutumsaying? So we gots to make this look good! Throw in a little fake pepper spray, some push'n n' shov'n be ok too, but not too much, aight?

But look, we gots to keep this on the DOWN LOW. You can't tell NOBODY about this, I gots ta keep my cred wit da Party."

Who is paying for this more-than-symbolic waste of taxpayer money?

I really want to think some enterprising officer is pulling one over on the department PIO, but this is Berkeley, after all.

And if you are fake arrested, can you fake sue the department for "police brutality?" And is that followed by a fake grand jury arraignment , and a fake trial that is prosecuted by a real DA (just like the police are real officers), with a real judge, in a real courtroom? Will the City of Berkeley award you a giant fake check for 1 million symbolic dollars if you win?

Does the fake-arrest application include a real waiver that protects Berkeley PD from false-arrest accusations?

Are symbolic arrest applications and records matters of public record?

The stupidity of this offer is mind-boggling.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Virtue Signaling

quote:
Virtue Signalling refers to the public expression of an opinion on a given topic primarily for the purpose of displaying one’s moral superiority before a large audience to solicit their approval. Online, the practice is often associated with various platitudes shared on social media that proclaim one’s political affiliation or stance on a variety of hot-button issues related to social justice; it has been criticized by some as a shallow attempt at improving social status within a particular group.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
Spent thirty years in the field and never heard the term "symbolic arrests". The DOJ should be in there investigation that administration.

Happens all the time here with the Peabody Coal, Patriot Coal and Monsanto GNO Protests in the St. Louis area. Protest organizers would meet with the police prior to protest beginning and point out exactly who was to be arrested for blocking access and/or trespassing. Arrests would occur when media showed up. First time I saw it, I also said, "WTF???" It was all quite civilized as the protestors knew the police had a job to do and nothing was personal. It apparently happens at other protests, especially ones where "celebrities" are protesting too and get arrested. The arrested are still fully processed and charged, and have to appear in court.

Peabody Coal Protestors Arrested at 1:50;

Union Miners protesting Patriot Coal, arrests start at 30 second mark;

Giant Rat arrested at Monsanto Protest:

I can almost guarantee that the officer sitting in the car has or will get in trouble for his comment by his command staff due to politically correct bullshit.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:

There are videos of the Berkeley police sitting in their cars watching people getting beat down. When asked why they weren't doing anything they refer the person to the public affairs office.

In Ferguson, the national guard was called up after days of rioting. They encamped and protected city hall while private businesses were burned. It's becoming clear that as society breaks down the police will protect the political class they report to.... they know who signs their paycheck. The public, who pay the taxes that support them, will be left to fend for themselves.

chellim1, the night of the Michael Brown Grand Jury verdict was a massive clusterfuck thanks to Missouri Governor Nixon, Obummer, and Valerie Jarrett. All the response plans for handling riots depended on use of the National Guard which were staged and ready to go. Nixon asked the commanders in the weeks leading up to it, if they wanted MORE National Guard troops and we got them. The problem was Jarrett talked to Nixon the days before the announcement. Suddenly, the night of the announcement, Nixon is "unavailable" to take phone calls from everyone involved (Ferguson Mayor, St. Louis County Executive, St. Louis County Police Chief, National Guard Commander, etc) so the National Guard wasn't deployed in Ferguson area until around 3:00am when they showed up at the Ferguson Police Station and City Hall. And now for the rest of the story; right after the media got their photos and videos of the National Guard troops standing the line at the Police Station and City Hall, the troops were ordered to get back on the buses and left to go back to the staging area. That first night in Ferguson, they were deployed a total of 5 minutes for a photo op. All the pre-planning involved using the National Guard to hold and guard certain locations, to free up police officers to respond to the riots and it went out the window. The Police Commanders were scrambling to fill the void, they pulled the whole riot platoon that was staged in Clayton, and then ANY officers that agencies could send. My department ended up sending half of those on duty at the time up to Ferguson.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
the night of the Michael Brown Grand Jury verdict was a massive clusterfuck thanks to Missouri Governor Nixon, Obummer, and Valerie Jarrett.

You describe it well. I remember it the same way.

Of course, we don't know exactly what happened behind the scenes between Governor Nixon, Obummer, and Eric Holder. As you suggest, Valerie Jarrett may have advised Obama to tell Holder, to tell Nixon to have them stand down.

The only thing we know for sure is that Nixon was "not available" to have them engage.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23943 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is the symbolic arrest that thing non profits or fundraisers do? I have seen where they lock up a large group of people (maybe 10-20) and they have to stay in jail until they reach a fundraising goal. It isn't real, all staged as a fun way to raise money or bring awareness. Well, they are actually in a jail cell, but I think they have a snack table and bathroom privileges Smile

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hunter62:
Is the symbolic arrest that thing non profits or fundraisers do? I have seen where they lock up a large group of people (maybe 10-20) and they have to stay in jail until they reach a fundraising goal. It isn't real, all staged as a fun way to raise money or bring awareness. Well, they are actually in a jail cell, but I think they have a snack table and bathroom privileges Smile

I that's the only time you can also have soap-on-a-rope in the showers.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I wonder if just anyone can call up and order a symbolic arrest for a specific place and time?

Maybe you have to be an approved rioter and have your permit to assault bystanders in hand before you can order a symbolic arrest.

They are all about customer service, though!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen any data, seems to me that most liberal protesters in CA who are arrested, the charges are later dropped, no negative consequences for their actions.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:

Happens all the time here with the Peabody Coal, Patriot Coal and Monsanto GNO Protests in the St. Louis area. Protest organizers would meet with the police prior to protest beginning and point out exactly who was to be arrested for blocking access and/or trespassing. Arrests would occur when media showed up. First time I saw it, I also said, "WTF???" It was all quite civilized as the protestors knew the police had a job to do and nothing was personal. It apparently happens at other protests, especially ones where "celebrities" are protesting too and get arrested. The arrested are still fully processed and charged, and have to appear in court.

I was about to post something similar. When I worked at a large, secure government lab, there were periodic protests with "symbolic" arrests. Security broadcast the whole show on closed-circuit tv, so the employees could watch the show. Those symbolically arrested are arrested, and processed as any other person would be. The difference is the police are set up for it with buses ready to take the arrestees to jail, and extra officers to book all of them. So, the adjective "symbolic" is that the arrestee is committing their crime to make a symbolic statement, not to cause real harm, and they do not resist arrest, except for pre-staged police brutality shots. Makes for a nice genteel protest. In the demonstrations I saw, everyone that trespassed was arrested, whether they planned to be, or not.

The un-announced, un-expected protests were the ones to worry about, and security reacted in a completely different way.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4870 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
They wouldn't take the Pepsi challenge either:

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of course, we don't know exactly what happened behind the scenes between Governor Nixon, Obummer, and Eric Holder. As you suggest, Valerie Jarrett may have advised Obama to tell Holder, to tell Nixon to have them stand down.

The only thing we know for sure is that Nixon was "not available" to have them engage.

Larry Connors on 550 had the Ferguson Mayor and the Missouri Attorney General on afterwards and the MO AG was doing an investigation into what happened. The MO AG found numerous phone calls logged between Nixon and Jarrett in the days leading up to the announcement.

Remember the ALCU and BLM had their panties in an uproar crying about Police Intimidation during the previous "protests" that occurred after Brown was killed. After the plan leaked out about the National Guard being deployed, along with massively increased Police presence, the ACLU and BLM filed a bunch of court cases trying to put a restraining order on the Police response to the riots. When that didn't work, they went to the White House and Jarrett got involved.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
New rule for protests. If you show up to 'protest' wearing a mask or carrying a weapon you're told to leave. if you do not comply, the police is authorized to beat you senseless and throw your bloodied butt in a paddy wagon.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
After Inaguration Day 63 protestors were arrested and charged with felony rioting. This carries a sentence of up to 10 years in jail and a $25,000 fine. That's out of a total of 230 arrests.
The news on this basically ends in February. There are no updates. At the time there seemed to be the belief that there would be convictions and jail time. I'm hoping something will come of this but am starting to doubt it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.19a7b35b22f5

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
New rule for protests. If you show up to 'protest' wearing a mask or carrying a weapon you're told to leave. if you do not comply, the police is authorized to beat you senseless and throw your bloodied butt in a paddy wagon.

Illegal to do here in the commonwealth.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post