SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I Finally Get The Hate For iTunes!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Finally Get The Hate For iTunes! Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
Disclaimer: I haven't used iTunes in a good number of years so I really didn't understand the hate here for this application.

My Dad managed to brick his newly-refurbished-by-me iPhone 5c (I ended up getting him a new iPhone SE) and I figured I'd install iTunes onto my new Windows 10 laptop to see if I could get the phone back.

What a PIECE OF BLOATED SHIT iTunes has become! I have a 100 Mbps internet connection and it STILL seemed to take forever to download and install. The file size of this application has gotten pretty huge, something like 800 MB and it seems slow and clunky as hell and not at all like I remember it working.

I now finally see the hate for this POS and Apple needs to kill it soon.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Welcome. You're in good company. Smile

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I'm still pissed from 3yrs ago when I lost about 3 months of pictures when my phone got bricked, I tried to restore from my backup in iTunes but then got the unhappy surprise that iTunes had somehow encrypted my phone backup without my knowledge and set it's own password Mad Apple was no help.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Now, what can my wife and I use INSTEAD of iTunes to add music to our iPhones from each of our iTunes libraries, they are around 25GB of music for each of us.

There's got to be better applications to use these days, right?

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Here's a rundown of five of them that TechRadar seems to like:

http://www.techradar.com/news/...lternative-to-itunes

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
I have some ipods because I have some songs on them that literally can no longer be obtained anywhere, but all I do is charge them. I haven't opened itunes in years.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I wasted so much time, money and limited bandwidth on that POS i tunes, I finally smartened up and gave up, several years back.

NO Apple stores in MT at this time. My first i pod died shortly after getting it and installing $60 worth of tunes. On a trip to CA stopped at an Apple store and they fiddled for an hour, finally gave me a new i pod. But couldn't find my account and the songs I had already paid for.

Second one a few years later was a very similar issue with constant updates that my slow ISP couldn't handle. Then it simply stopped working. In a fit of rage I bent it in half one evening.

I'm done with Apple.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Quite honestly, they're losing me a bit as well. For a company with so much latent capital, they could so easily become amazing if they'd just get the dev going a little better. It's starting to show that all they want are hardware sales. It was the integrated ecosystem that drew me to them, but the shine is wearing off.

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD... Apple ruined them all, but iTunes is a mess for sure.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As much as I like their devices I Tunes is horrible. I hate it with a white hot passion.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I used iTunes for a while, but quit six or seven years ago when I quit using any iDevices. I don't like the way iTunes makes you do everything their way. I rarely/never download music. I prefer to buy a CD and rip to a lossless format, so I don't need a place to buy downloaded music. Lossy formats sound bad enough to my ears to make ripping CDs worth it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
iTunes is what turned me away from iPhones, just a junky app. When it first came out for the first gen. iPod, it was awesome, but now it falls way behind other apps.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Apple has been going downhill since the death of Steve Jobs.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8953 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Here's a rundown of five of them that TechRadar seems to like:

http://www.techradar.com/news/...lternative-to-itunes

-Rob

Thanks for that! With no MS-Win or Mac box, I couldn't do iTunes. (Sounds like I wouldn't want to, anyway.) Looks like Clementine is just what I need.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Apple has been going downhill since the death of Steve Jobs.

Saw an article related to iTunes and Apple in general in the post Jobs era and it pointed out how post-Jobs Apple is quickly piling on the "features" and making their products more complicated to use, exactly what Steve Jobs fought against with simple, elegant and easy to use devices and applications.

I've always said it, Steve Jobs WAS Apple. This current Apple just seems to be coasting along and resting on their laurels while the competition is bypassing them.

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
I have some ipods because I have some songs on them that literally can no longer be obtained anywhere, but all I do is charge them. I haven't opened itunes in years.

Same with me. I have an original iPod touch that is my one and only music device. It hasn't been updated since the first time I put my entire CD collection on it. At least as much as I could fit on 16GB. All I've done for years is charge it. I have no desire to revisit iTunes ever again.

This iPod is my one and only Apple device.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How is it possible in 2017 that software from one of the worlds richest companies can be this user unfriendly? It was crappy and hard to use when it came out but now its just a cruel joke.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3533 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
How is it possible in 2017 that software from one of the worlds richest companies can be this user unfriendly? It was crappy and hard to use when it came out but now its just a cruel joke.

Good question. Especially since Apple mobile devices, in particular, are so music-friendly/-centric.

After being on Android for 5-6 years (guessing), I'm really liking the iStuff, but, there are some things where I go "What the hell are they thinking?" iTunes is one of those things. Imagine my surprise when I found that, lacking either an MS-Win or Mac computer, there was no way to get my music into iTunes so I could use the native iOS app to play it

Correction on earlier comment: Clementine won't do me any good. No iOS app, near as I can tell.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
It was crappy and hard to use when it came out

I don't recall that at all back in 2004 when I bought my first iPod. It was pretty good and easy to use but has become a clunky slow piece of crap ever since.

posted Hide Post
I have an iPod Shuffle and I can't get iTunes working with it properly.
And everytime....it's just won't see it. And if it does than only after me trying to plug it in several times

Tech lover and geek that loves to play with good software https://softorino.com/waltr

Posts: 4 | Registered: September 27, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post