SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Connection issues to sigforum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Connection issues to sigforum Login/Join 
Picture of creslin
posted
Last few days I'm having connection problems with this site.
Sometimes life is good - everything just works.
Other times I click a link and it just sits there spinning for a good 30 seconds or so before loading the page.
Near as I can tell it's ONLY this site.

So today I did some testing.
I started a constant ping going..
Then loaded up wireshark for a tcpdump.

Looks like my computer is just sitting waiting for a reply from the server.
I send a request on port 80... and wait..
then retrans... and wait...
then retrans... and wait...

This goes on for a bit until I finally get a shitload of replies all at once and the page loads.

Anyone else having issues like this?

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sounds like an issue with your internet provider.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I'm running mtr against sigforum.com right now. I'm getting a lot of packet loss to a Level3 node, but less than 4% packet loss to SIGforum.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Maybe clear your DNS cache and/or change your DNS server.
Of course also test your connection against other sites to verify if it is on all sites or just this one.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
I was thinking ISP too - but it's literally only this site.

I never saw any packet loss on my pings (well.... less than 1%)

It's not DNS - it resolves quickly - it's purely the HTTP connection that gets wacky.

So.... nobody else?

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Not here. Not on computer, tablet or phone.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
So can you confirm it is just SigForum?

Tried PingPlotter or similar tracert tool?

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
earlier today and yesterday, I was having issues I am unable to technically identify:

the 'green page' would load but nothing "in the field" as they used to call it here....no text or lines, etc. Plain screen that remained inert for maybe 10-30 seconds. Then everything would suddenly squiggle & text would appear.

Seems normal this evening.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Add me to the list. Similar problems. Only Sigforum.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The problem is almost certainly on your end, or your ISP's. I have never had any problems connecting to this site - on two different computers - that weren't related to the computer, browser or ISP. Something like this happened a few months ago with Greg Cote's site. It eventually seemingly resolved itself.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post