SIGforum
Connection issues to sigforum

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/2250068164

October 09, 2019, 02:17 PM
creslin
Connection issues to sigforum
Last few days I'm having connection problems with this site.
Sometimes life is good - everything just works.
Other times I click a link and it just sits there spinning for a good 30 seconds or so before loading the page.
Near as I can tell it's ONLY this site.

So today I did some testing.
I started a constant ping going..
Then loaded up wireshark for a tcpdump.

Looks like my computer is just sitting waiting for a reply from the server.
I send a request on port 80... and wait..
then retrans... and wait...
then retrans... and wait...

This goes on for a bit until I finally get a shitload of replies all at once and the page loads.

Anyone else having issues like this?

This is where my signature goes.
October 09, 2019, 02:33 PM
airbubba
sounds like an issue with your internet provider.
October 09, 2019, 03:03 PM
ensigmatic
I'm running mtr against sigforum.com right now. I'm getting a lot of packet loss to a Level3 node, but less than 4% packet loss to SIGforum.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
October 09, 2019, 03:22 PM
smschulz
Maybe clear your DNS cache and/or change your DNS server.
Of course also test your connection against other sites to verify if it is on all sites or just this one.
October 09, 2019, 09:17 PM
creslin
I was thinking ISP too - but it's literally only this site.

I never saw any packet loss on my pings (well.... less than 1%)

It's not DNS - it resolves quickly - it's purely the HTTP connection that gets wacky.

So.... nobody else?

This is where my signature goes.
October 09, 2019, 09:40 PM
ensigmatic
Not here. Not on computer, tablet or phone.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
October 09, 2019, 09:49 PM
smschulz
So can you confirm it is just SigForum?

Tried PingPlotter or similar tracert tool?
October 09, 2019, 10:07 PM
signewt
earlier today and yesterday, I was having issues I am unable to technically identify:

the 'green page' would load but nothing "in the field" as they used to call it here....no text or lines, etc. Plain screen that remained inert for maybe 10-30 seconds. Then everything would suddenly squiggle & text would appear.

Seems normal this evening.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

October 10, 2019, 08:51 AM
Vanwall
Add me to the list. Similar problems. Only Sigforum.
October 10, 2019, 10:01 AM
egregore
The problem is almost certainly on your end, or your ISP's. I have never had any problems connecting to this site - on two different computers - that weren't related to the computer, browser or ISP. Something like this happened a few months ago with Greg Cote's site. It eventually seemingly resolved itself.