SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Interjecting politics into apolitical threads
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interjecting politics into apolitical threads Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
This forum has a policy which is more than a decade old, of requiring members to refrain from interjecting poltical commentary into apolitical threads. This policy came about because some members felt the need to turn each and every thread political, which is an annoying and idiotic thing to do. This behavior is unwelcome, to say the least.

In some forums, political discussion of any kind is prohibited, but we allow such discussions here and I am glad to do so. No one familiar with this forum can deny that such discussions here are extensive and many of these discussions offer in-depth political analysis, thanks to certain dedicated members. You can find link after link to relevant political articles which are on the web. You can gain insight from others here- insight not available on most major news networks because of the obscene bias of these networks, It would be possible, as a matter of fact, to rely solely on this forum for staying informed on the important events in American and global politics. That's a fact. Anyone who browses the Lounge daily knows this is true, as silly as it may sound to someone unfamiliar with this place.

Given this, we ask one thing of members- do not post political commentary in threads which have nothing to do with politics- no political commentary- absolutely none. Zero- not even casual jokes. Not the first word about politics or politicians should appear in apolitical threads.

It is astonishing to me- with this policy being in place for years and years, and with it being strictly enforced- that we have members who have been here for many, many years and who have thousands upon thousands of posts- violate this policy so blatanty and so casually.

No one who is reading a thread which deals with firearms or cars or the million other subjects outside of politics is reading it with anticipation and desire of the thread suddenly turning into the pervasive subject of politics.

This must stop. No one wants to hear your lame, unoriginal, boring, unfunny jokes or your angry, railing speeches about politics in threads which have nothing to do with politics, least of all, me. Those of you who violate this policy have to find a way to keep it in your mind that this annoying behavior is entirely unwelcome and to comprehend that it will be addressed harshly each and every time you shoehorn that shit into a thread. Stop it. I'm not asking you. I'm telling you. Stop it. If this behavior persists, I'll start handing out suspensions. Maybe that will help those of you who should damn well know better, to stop this silly, pointless, unwelcome crap.

Posts: 107512 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Thanks Para! Guess some people don't learn the first time they get kicked by a horse...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
It would be possible, as a matter of fact, to rely solely on this forum for staying informed on the important events in American and global politics.

Although parabellum does not need my endorsement, I must say that that statement is most certainly true. I have a digital subscription to a major newspaper, but the first thing I do in the morning is look here for new news before opening the paper’s site. And I am literally continually amazed by how well this forum is moderated and run.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
From a new member, I can see this behavior happening, but from guys who have hung out in the lounge for a certain amount of time, it is puzzling.

quote:
You can gain insight from others here- insight not available on most major news networks because of the obscene bias of these networks, It would be possible, as a matter of fact, to rely solely on this forum for staying informed on the important events in American and global politics. That's a fact.

I rarely watch TV news, and rarely read most news sources on the web, but for years, I have kept up with current political events mostly through this forum.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16679 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am literally continually amazed by how well this forum is moderated and run.

Yes. Thank you, Para!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I would not have the patience that parabellum exhibits.

I don’t know how he does it.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Thanks Para. I appreciate that we have this policy. It makes it one heck of a great forum. It sucks that you have to post reminders like this, however I appreciate you taking the time to handle these situations.
Thank you for this forum.

Merry Christmas Para.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
I get better, factual political information here on this forum than from the usual "news" sources.

I also want to says thanks to Para for providing us this forum.

And Merry Christmas!

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
It was harder to avoid this a few years ago. It's nice to have nonpolitical threads.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I’ve been guilty of the above- a subtle reminder was all it took to take care of it.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, my reminders are subtle, like flaming napalm raking the jungle. Subtle like a hornet's nest dropped on a concrete floor. Finesse is my middle name.

Posts: 107512 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
I am more of a reader than poster here, lurker to some, but I know a couple of things; don't disparage people based on their looks, and don't interject politics into apolitical threads.

It's not hard to enjoy this place.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoot gun,
get check
Picture of Scoobaru
posted Hide Post
Thank you Para!

Posts: 618 | Location: The pointy part of Nevada | Registered: March 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, my reminders are subtle, like flaming napalm raking the jungle. Subtle like a hornet's nest dropped on a concrete floor. Finesse is my middle name.

LOL Sorry.Smile But you sure do have a way with words! LOL

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16196 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
I sure appreciate your efforts to curtail the unwelcome political posts. Of all the bad posting habits that have come and gone, it's an oddity that this one has persisted. I tend to avoid the political threads. I get so weary of seeing political content - it seems to be everywhere - that when I come to SigForum, political stuff is the absolute last thing I care to read or discuss. Those drive-by attempts at political humor or whatever just aren't funny or helpful. To me, they're just a nuisance.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What ? No chiding ? No flippant remarks at all ? Sweet Jesus don't waste them all on me.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54612 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
What ? No chiding ? No flippant remarks at all ? Sweet Jesus don't waste them all on me.

Oh great, now you have injected religion into this thread. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Those antics have run me out of several threads, although I'm sure some would say that's a good thing given my conservative views. So yeah, thanks Para for reminding us why this forum is unique and a good place if you follow a few simple self-evident rules.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm going to go out on a ledge here...take a real leap of faith...and assume that Para knows the proper spelling of the word "dam(n)", thus the different responses in the two threads. Wink

You want your rant to be treated seriously?...then learn to communicate effectively, and part of communicating effectively is spelling words correctly.

Misspellings, especially those in thread titles, are ripe for a little good natured fun.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:

Forgive us, brother. It’s been a long time since we had a dog pile around here. We’re getting a little hard up. Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post