SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trump DOL, DOJ urge justices to ban unions for teachers, municipal employees, firefighters from collecting mandatory fees from nonmembers to cover bar
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trump DOL, DOJ urge justices to ban unions for teachers, municipal employees, firefighters from collecting mandatory fees from nonmembers to cover bar Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
Big thumbs up!

https://i.imgur.com/BvLXgyx.png

Full article with more detail:
https://www.reuters.com/articl...s-case-idUSKBN1E108I

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BamaJeepster,

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
MAGA. Still not tired of winning.

Loosening the union grip on local, state and federal employees would be a great thing for we, the people (paying the bills).

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Like I said in another thread, my expectations of this President and this Presidency are exceeded almost daily.

Giant thumbs up!

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Excellent.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Thank God!

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Let's hope the Supreme s agree with this position.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
YES! Smash the SEIU!

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Big thumbs up indeed !

minor point bama - is the link at the bottom of your post for "more detail" actually to the right case ? The link is about DoJ switching sides, but it appears to be from June for another issue than union fees

Posts: 19502 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Big thumbs up indeed !

minor point bama - is the link at the bottom of your post for "more detail" actually to the right case ? The link is about DoJ switching sides, but it appears to be from June for another issue than union fees

Oops, you are correct. I fixed the link in the original post, here it is:
https://www.reuters.com/articl...s-case-idUSKBN1E108I

Thanks!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
another article on this story

https://www.redstate.com/strei...sector-labor-unions/

These unions are sustained, in some cases, by closed-shop laws that require union membership as the price of employment or the payment of an “agency fee” to the union to cover contract negotiations and grievance representation if you don’t want to be a full member. This requirement, that non-members still had to pay an agency fee, comes from the 1977 Supreme Court decision, Abood vs. Detroit Board of Education.

Abood seemed headed for the ash heap of history in 2016 in a case that made its way to the Supreme Court called Friedrichs vs. California Teachers Association. The unions were only saved by the untimely death of Justice Antonin Scalia and a 4-4 tie which preserved a 9th Circuit decision affirming the requirement to pay an agency fee.

Now another case is slated for this term is probably going to drive the last nail in the coffin containing compulsory fees for non-union employees. The case comes out of Illinois and pits a state employee against the Democrat cash cow, AFSCME

Smart money says Abood is overturned. Not only because of Neil Gorsuch on the bench but because the Trump Justice Department has reversed the position taken by the Obama Justice Department in the Friedrichs case and endorsed Mr. Janus’s position

Posts: 19502 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
This is Yuge!
IIRC the introduction in Wisconsin of a similar law led to drastic reductions in public sector union membership and dues collection.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
outstanding. I've avoided several industries I had interest in because of mandatory union membership.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of domcintosh
posted Hide Post
Unless this is done via law, it can easily change with the next bureaucratic tsunami.

The opinions expressed in no way reflect the stance or opinion of my employer.

Posts: 5446 | Location: Stationed in Kitsap Washington w/ the USN | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by domcintosh:
Unless this is done via law, it can easily change with the next bureaucratic tsunami.

How so? If SCOTUS correctly rules on the 1st amendment issues, it could only be reversed by a constitutional amendment or SCOTUS subsequently reversing itself, which does not happen all that often.

The public sector unions would have to come up with an extremely creative workaround, but since they pretty much shouldn’t exist anyway (for the same reasons AFSCME should lose here), I’m not sure there would be one.

This is truly excellent news!

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of domcintosh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:
Originally posted by domcintosh:

How so? If SCOTUS correctly rules on the 1st amendment issues, it could only be reversed by a constitutional amendment or SCOTUS subsequently reversing itself, which does not happen all that often.

It is the 'if' that worries me.
If SCOTUS had agree to hear the Maryland Assault Weapon ban case, and ruled correctly, it would be a challenge to every state/federal infringement of Second Amendment protections.
If SCOTUS correctly rules in the Masterpiece Bakery case, it could upend decades of law violating Freedom of Association and Freedom to Contract.
If SCOTUS had correctly ruled on one the penalties of Obamacare, it would have collapsed years ago.
If Kennedy decides to eat Shredded wheat over lucky charms, a lot of individual rights may be restored.

I have the same opinion about the ATF's relatively recent reversal on the decision around Arm Braces, and most other bureaucratic regulations that Congress has surrendered lawmaking power to via "enabling statutes."

The opinions expressed in no way reflect the stance or opinion of my employer.

Posts: 5446 | Location: Stationed in Kitsap Washington w/ the USN | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I realize organized labor gets a bad rap and I believe that most of it is justified, however if it wasn't for my Local we would never get pay raises, benefits that are needed by firemen and improved working conditions from the city even thought there's 10's of millions of dollars in surplus.
The IAFF on the other hand does absolutely nothing but collect money and tell you how they want you to vote. They can suck a big ole fat one.

My baby mamma on the other hand just left a nursing job at one of the best hospitals in DC which had a nurse's union. She paid higher union dues then I do, had crappy working conditions and her last contract negotiated pay raise was for a whopping 20 cents...

There are obviously many unions out there and it's easy to see that many of them take advantage of the employees and take their money for nothing in return. I just happen to be one that believes in my local because of what they've done for us.

Posts: 436 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Let's just make it "ban public sector unions" and leave it at that.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I come from a Union family.
Unions are good in some ways and that are bad in others.

I was in both the Carpenter and Laborer Union when I was in Ohio.

I never struggled for money and we never missed a meal.

The same can be said about my dad, uncle, grandfathers.

I wish we had a FOP or Police Union at two agencies I worked for because if we had a number of officers would not have gotten screwed the way they did trying to do the right thing. That includes me.

I am not saying there perfect but in some areas the good out weigh the bad.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
This isn't the 1800s, and government employment isn't the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory.

I'm legally excluded from any "bargaining unit" (by statute, my entire agency is) and fifteen years later, I'm still trying to find a down-side of this.

There is nothing, not a thing, that they could potentially do for me that isn't adequately addressed by either existing law or good business policy on the part of agency management. Not the first freakin' thing.

Posts: 2452 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
But what would all the union management reps / staff people do for a living????

Oh yeah, they'd have to WORK.

Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post