Find
Notify
Tools

Bit Coins Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Oh I understand it fine, and didn't mean *you* we're embellishing, but I think they're likely full of it. Either way, it matters not as I/we will never know what they're doing.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Riskier than most currency trading. Which is already risky.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
If someone is interested in this, wait for the next (inevitable) crisis, which crashes the value. Think something like the Mt. Gox disaster.

However, I feel that at some point, the US and other governments are going to lower the boom on Bitcoin, if it ever gets popular enough to threaten the government issued currencies.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/22...high-above-2100.html

"If you bought $100 of bitcoin 7 years ago, you'd be sitting on $72.9 million now"

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
You can trade on Forex using Bitcoin, but you can't trade Bitcoin on Forex, if that tells you anything.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
There are quite a few legitimate businesses that accept BitCoin as payment. Examples:

Overstock.com, NewEgg, Expedia, Spotify, TigerDirect, Subway, Dell, Microsoft, Virgin Galactic, Gap, JCPenny, GameStop. WholeFoods, Shopify, Steam, ReMax of London, Polish Airlines (worldwide), a major university in Mexico, Rakutan, Foodler, Pure VPN, and via gift cards from Gyft and others you can spend them at Amazon and Best Buy and others.

And this website shows 95 Restaurants in the US that accept them.

It doesn't seem like they're going away, and acceptance (figuratively and literally) is growing, albeit slowly and with resistance in some arenas. It's interesting to watch.

Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
^ that isn't really feasible anymore, not for the individual...

I wouldn't buy them now, as it's at a high point - definitely shitty timing:

Looks like one could have doubled his money this year alone.

Year V

Posts: 2630 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I bought some GBTC stock a couple weeks ago. It is volatile going up and down every day, could swing $30-40 a day. Just sold it today for $50 more per share than I bought it for. I guess I can't complain too much but I doubt I would risk much more than a few thousand dollars in it.

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
quote:

I meant one guy Mining, not Flipping, but yes - those who bought a year ago and sell now are happy, but everyone who bought around 2104 was sweating it for the last two years. Smile

Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I meant one guy Mining, not Flipping, but yes - those who bought a year ago and sell now are happy, but everyone who bought around 2104 was sweating it for the last two years. Smile

Looks like anyone who bought between 13 and 16 made a killing at this point, all during the time the Bitcoin was a laughingstock.

Year V

Posts: 2630 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Looks like anyone who bought between 13 and 16 made a killing at this point, all during the time the Bitcoin was a laughingstock.

People who bought during the prior runup in 2013 were deeply underwater for three years running. How many held on while the value plummeted (eyeballing numbers from the graph here) what looks to be 80%, from around $1000 to what looks like $200 for most of 2015-6? Damn few people have the stomach to do that.

This is pork-belly commodity future risk-level speculation, not investment.

Do some people accept BitCoin as payment? Yes. So what? Some people take physical delivery of pork bellies, too. That doesn't take the risk out of the equation.

Your expenses are in dollars, your other income is in dollars, and this thing fluctuates against the dollar like an EKG.

Posts: 15023 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/22...high-above-2100.html

"If you bought $100 of bitcoin 7 years ago, you'd be sitting on $72.9 million now"

I saw the article. No damn way. If it was the case, Berkshire Hathaway would've owned 20%.

Posts: 1963 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post