SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fencing Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fencing Question Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted
No, not this kind...

This kind...

Anyway, in the movie The Empire Strikes Back, Darth Vader performs a kind of circular entrapment move. You can see it just before he cuts Luke's hand off, at about 0:03...

Does this technique have a name?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Contre-quarte or contre-sixte for a defensive parry, and envelopment (prise de fer) or derobement on attack; there are other lines of defense or attack, but quarte or sixte would be most common, although it pays to learn them all well, depending on whether you carry a sword. You did ask....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
"Envelopment" sounds about right. I'll go with that. Thank you.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My name is Inago Montoya...

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
My name is Inago Montoya...

You killed my brother. Prepare to die.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
"it's unknown what happened to Luke's severed hand afterwards."

It became a member of the Addams Family household.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
derobement on attack

What is: things I'd like to do to Catherine Zeta-Jones.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
"Envelopment" sounds about right. I'll go with that. Thank you.

The advantage of pris de fer is that you can feel your opponent's blade, and thereby his - or her - intent, before your eye sees it. The disadvantage is that he can feel yours. Il y a toujours un risque impliqué, Luke.....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fun fact: for the vast majority of the dueling scenes in The Empire Strikes Back, the guy in the Vader suit was actually Bob Anderson, an Olympic fencing champion.

He was also the fencing choreographer for all three original films.

Posts: 385 | Registered: November 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Guy:
Fun fact: for the vast majority of the dueling scenes in The Empire Strikes Back, the guy in the Vader suit was actually Bob Anderson, an Olympic fencing champion.

He was also the fencing choreographer for all three original films.

That makes sense, as I tend to see a mix of European fencing mixed in with Japanese Kendo.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

posted Hide Post
The duel between Obi Wan and Vader looked like it was coordinated by someone at a nursing home. The move Anakin uses to disarm and cut off Count Dooku's hands is pretty cool looking.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3526 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/7YyBtMxZgQs

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
The duel between Obi Wan and Vader looked like it was coordinated by someone at a nursing home. The move Anakin uses to disarm and cut off Count Dooku's hands is pretty cool looking.

Exactly! That move could not have come from Japanese swordfighting, as Japanese katana have but a single edge. This technique must be done with a double-edge weapon (or infinite edge in the case of lightsabers).

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
quote:
derobement on attack

What is: things I'd like to do to Catherine Zeta-Jones.

I hear her grandfather is very protective.

Posts: 8615 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:

Lucas once said that the disparity was intentional. By A New Hope, the majority of the Jedi were gone, and those that were left were old and in some cases more machine than man. Much more artful in the earlier episodes where they were young and the Jedi were at their height of power.

But that of course could just be Lucas covering for Lucas.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post