SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Will this kind of stuff ever end? Another restaurant owner changes racist name.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will this kind of stuff ever end? Another restaurant owner changes racist name. Login/Join 
Picture of Ironmike57
posted

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Why was it named after Fowler and Wells to begin with? That does seem to me like a bad choice.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who would of known or cared? Is it clever marketing? I never would of heard of them except for this. But now don't remember who they were or what they're called now.

Besides I'm offended they impugn phrenology.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
How do these people not succumb to ulcers and heart attacks? It seems they invent things to worry about. It makes me wonder how they ever deal with a real problem in their lives, not fabricated ones.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
How do these people not succumb to ulcers and heart attacks? It seems they invent things to worry about. It makes me wonder how they ever deal with a real problem in their lives, not fabricated ones.

They don't worry about these things individually. They could care less about Robert E Lee statues or names of restaurants. It's furthering the agenda of fundamentally transforming America that matters. Don't be fooled they are encouraged and emboldened by these small victories.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8531 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
It's about control or the perception of it.

Nothing more.

It's why I am an absolute ASSHOLE to anyone who openly suggests that any object I own or opinion I have doesn't fall in line with the communist shitbag agenda.

I am not trying to make friends out of them as war has already been declared and their worthless opinion won't change.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
That is a HELL of a long stretch between that restaurant and racism. Where does this stop?

How about Walmart? That was started by Sam Walton in Arkansas, Arkansas is in the south, the south supported slavery and racism, Walmart must be destroyed

Amazon? A tribe of women warriors from ancient Greece. Greeks had a tradition of making slaves out of the conquered, therefore Amazon promotes slavery and must be destroyed

Where does it stop? Can we somehow trace EVERY thing in this country to racism and slavery?

Sounds a bit like McCarthyism to me. What is next, the Anti-Fa running around the country asking every one if they are a racist, if they have known a racist, or if they have ever associated with racists or patronized a business that supports racism? Then beat them for doing it, or lying about it?

Sounds like a racist inquisition to me, and we all know how those end.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:

Where does it stop? Can we somehow trace EVERY thing in this country to racism and slavery?

Here you go. Orpheum theater won’t show ‘Gone With the Wind,’ calling film ‘insensitive’

Posts: 7310 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
I wonder how the original, and only remaining Sambo's has kept its name?

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
McCarthyism? At least McCarthy had a real, dangerous enemy.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Good point.

quote:
Originally posted by detroit192:
I wonder how the original, and only remaining Sambo's has kept its name?

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Would one in a hundred know who Fowler and Wells were? And would one in a hundred know that their quackery was used by others to justify slavery?

It is absurdity.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
It's about control or the perception of it.

Nothing more.

It's why I am an absolute ASSHOLE to anyone who openly suggests that any object I own or opinion I have doesn't fall in line with the communist shitbag agenda.

I am not trying to make friends out of them as war has already been declared and their worthless opinion won't change.

I bet if we ever met, we would get along just fine. Razz

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43877 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Obviously should have named it Orson Wells!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
Why was it named after Fowler and Wells to begin with? That does seem to me like a bad choice.

That was my question.

I very familiar with Colicchio and curious as to why that'd pick some arbitrary name that nobody has any connection with other than that was the name of some tenants in the same building.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post