SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Toyota Yaris wont start, can someone give me ideas please?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toyota Yaris wont start, can someone give me ideas please? Login/Join 
posted
So I have a Toyota Yaris sedan, 2015. The car has been fine its whole life. This morning I was going to run an errand and when I tried to turn it on, it didn't. What follows after I turn the key on is lots of clicking sounds. Also the power steering and check engine lights are both on at the same time. I checked the battery cables, both are properly attached, i cleaned them anyway with water and baking soda, there was little to no corrosion but I did it anyway and nothing changed. The ticking sound continues one after another like this: "PPPPPRRRRRRRR PPPRRRRRRR PPPPRRRRRR...." yu get the idea. The lights are still on. I made sure fuses are properly attached and not loose. I do not have a scan tool either so its like me guessing something I have no clue how to trouble shoot. Anyone has any ideas before I call a mechanic?

Posts: 294 | Registered: September 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of btgoanna
posted Hide Post
Have you tested the battery ?
My daughter's car displayed air bag problem , and would only click. Changed battery , all fixed

Posts: 832 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the battery.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I vote for battery

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I've rarely had a battery make it more than 4 years.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Get a jump start. Drive to AutoZone or similar. Have them test your battery, and replace if needed. (Which it probably is, unless you just left the interior light on all night, or something similar.)

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
I’m also in the “battery” camp. Not unusual for a four year old battery to fail.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Automotive batteries typically last 4-6 yrs, it sounds like its time to get a new one. Be glad that it stranded you in your driveway and not somewhere else.

Posts: 114 | Registered: August 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
This heat that we are having is terrible for batteries. A buddy of mine just had the battery on his 2018 Toyota overheat and blow off one of the cell covers.

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Definitely a bad battery. 100%.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Battery. Load test is the only true way to verify the state of health of it.

A lot of factors can affect battery life but usual lifespan is in the range of five years at least from my opinion and observation.

As one other poster stated once you get the car started take it to a place like AutoZone and have them test it. Reason behind this being that in many cases (very little dealership experience with Toyotas, worked only briefly for one in the late 80's) radios have a security feature that disables them once the battery power is interrupted.

Different manufacturers, different procedures, some involve a dealership service department trip that equals $$$ to have it unlocked. Either you buy a "cheater" that uses a 9v battery and plugs into a cigarette lighter/power point that maintains enough voltage to keep the radio from locking out or the installer has and uses one like most places that install batteries on a regular basis.

One tip,make sure the power point or lighter socket you use is powered when the key is off or all your efforts are for nothing. And if you do change your own battery remember in removal to take the negative cable off first and during installation do the opposite, install the negative cable last, less chance of a spark that way.

And remove rings, metal bracelets and watchbands, inadvertent contact makes for ugly burns. Seen that happen.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Why even bother testing the battery? It's toast. Get a new one and be done with it. It's the battery. No question.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And the BATTERY it is!!! Bought a new battery and all good now. Thank you for your input folks! I thought I was going to have to spend major bucks in the fix.

Thanks again and Happy 4TH of July!!!

Posts: 294 | Registered: September 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
It's the battery.

Posts: 27948 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
It might be the battery. On the other hand, . . . no, it's the battery.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Could be the alternator. The new battery could eventually die, too.

But I doubt it. Smile

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16340 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Look at the time frame from 1st post till the post that said problem solved and repaired. Have the best members on this board. No we are not concieded but just convinced. ....................drill sgt.

Posts: 2007 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Could be the alternator. The new battery could eventually die, too.

But I doubt it. Smile

VOM on battery terminals while engine is running should yield 14-15 VDC

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
It might be the battery. On the other hand, . . . no, it's the battery.

Shocking isn't. He charged right out and bought a battery.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post