SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does anyone else notice certain cars attract more road rage?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone else notice certain cars attract more road rage? Login/Join 
The Ice Cream Man
posted
Never had any issues in an MB convertible. Or the Viper. Or any of my normal cars.

I had a 7.3l crew cab one ton, with ranch hands, many years ago, and a yellow boxster, also many years ago, which people made nasty comments, drove aggressively at, etc.

My ‘01 M3 attracted lots of criminal attention, apparently, it was worth quite a bit to chop, but otherwise wasn’t an issue.

My dorky gray Tesla 3P just gets all manner of hatred, especially if there’s a woman in the car. (And I’m not being an ass, etc. Too old for that/not the car for that. The ‘49 is.

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Maybe not rage, but if you're driving an M3 or pretty much any Porsche every other yahoo wants to race, or will blast by/around you and weave in and out of traffic to prove, something.

We ignore it but it's funny. Everything from a Sentra to an Audi A8 to actual HP cars like ZR1 or Ferrari, they seem to come out of the woodwork. If at a light and they're shouting over just wave or if windows down say "Man, no way am I going to outrun THAT!" whatever it is.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I will admit a disdain for electric cars in general, there is nothing green about them, it's a farce. I do not act aggressive towards them though

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Corvettes attracted state troopers like flies.
Everyone wanted to run the VIN.
Sorry, guys, it actually is mine.
And its not just cars either. When aboard my S1000XR BMW, Squids on crotch rockets would want to race me from the stop lights, pass me at light speed or roll up beside me and then rocket away.
Sorry, guys, I am old enough to be your Grandpa.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Recently had a young whippersnapper in a Challenger thought he was going to simply blow by the Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Old Guy driving it sitting next to him at the light.

Little did he know the JGC had a 5.7L Hemi in it and the Old Guy used to street race

At the next light he was ready for it, though, so I let him go. He would've whupped me, anyway. He had the power-to-weight ratio on me something fierce. I only got him at the previous light because he hadn't been expecting it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only cars that get on my nerves on the slow cars in the left lane.

Posts: 260 | Registered: March 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Georgeair, maybe that’s why the Viper never got too much crazy attention. Everyone figured it could blow by it.

I mean more than just trying to get you to race. People driving straight at it/yelling/cutting me off/passing then slowing down, etc.

Like I said, the yellow Boxster, back when I was in college (side benefit of working through school and having a scholarship), was the last car that attracted this much animus. Oddly, my coral one didn’t, but it was also older, so might have had the “classic” thing going for it.

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Everyone wanted a piece of every Corvette I owned, and the Boxter S, Camaro.

Most fun was the Vette, since among other upgrades a bottle of NOS with a 150 shot easily let it beat most challengers, looked like an average stock C4 but there was more there, a lot more.

Right now people have been stuck inside and are just coming out, lot of pent up aggression out there...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
There's a noticeable difference in other driver's behavior when I'm driving our minivan instead of my F350 or my Focus ST. People pullout in front of the minivan more often and try to get around it more often than the other two vehicles. My wife notices it to.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Wanna see road rage? Drive your greenie with California plates in Montana.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
The only time I've gotten road rage was one summer long ago when I drove a concrete mix truck that had a little 230 Cummins diesel. No one liked to be behind me when I was loaded and going (slowly) up a hill. Nice folks always waved a one finger salute when they were able to pass. I was doing the best I could.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
Wanna see road rage? Drive your greenie with California plates in Montana.

Yep, I see Cali Prius and dead Teslas stuck by the side of the road; locals flip 'em the bird instead of stopping to assist.

Posts: 1472 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Subarus with roof top carriers, kayaks, bike racks and leftists bumper stickers driving 10mph below the limit in the left hand lane.

Priuses with California plates.

Minivans filled with a brood of rotten crotch fruit ahead in the drive-thru lane.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Just the ones plugging up the left lane.

Somehow they wake up after you pass them.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
The one in front of me driving 10 mph under the speed limit, usually texting. I LOATHE that type of car.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I've said this exact thing for years.

I've always driven large 4x4 pickup trucks and never had a problem with road rage or others who are driving around me.

I then started commuting a long distance so I got rid of my large truck and purchased a small Mazda 3. Holy cow, I've never been flipped off, yelled at, etc. so much in my life.

After two years I couldn't take the small car any longer and went back to a large truck. I've not been flipped off or cursed at in the last 6 years driving my truck.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yeah. Whatever car I'm in, whether I'm driving or not. It's uncanny. Even my wife has mentioned it on occasions where we go somewhere and she wants to drive. She sees people doing squirrelly, aggressive shit that she never experiences unless I'm in the vehicle. I have sat in the passenger seat with my sunglasses on, doing my best Weekend at Bernie's impression, and people will cut us off or try to merge into us like it's just something that has to be done.

I'm pretty used to it by now and just ignore it. I don't play games on the road. I let them go and find someone else to pick up their gauntlet.

I actually can't wait to trade in our 2007 Mazda 3, because like LBTRS, that thing is an absolute magnet for foaming-at-the-mouth road rager assholes. I've had more people fuck with me in that car more consistently than anything else, by far. I'd love to own a Challenger and just cruise with it, but if the Mazda 3 is anything to go by, I may just get shot driving a Challenger.

The only vehicle people have given me wide berth and lots of latitude in was my '86 Chevy Scottsdale. Full crew cab and extended bed, it was a behemoth. It was the family truck that I inherited. We actually got rear-ended in it at a stoplight when I was young. My old man thought the transmission was going because all we felt was a mild lurch and it didn't want to accelerate when the light turned green, so he got into the throttle and stopped when there was a bunch of honking. He was dragging the car that wadded up under the back bumper into the intersection. A rattle can of white Krylon on the scrapes on the bumper and it was good as new.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I drive a regular ol' Honda Civic so no one gives me much attention.

quote:
Originally posted by JimmyRayBob:
The only cars that get on my nerves on the slow cars in the left lane.

People like that deserve to have all their tires slashed.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I get the 'lets race' treatment from everyone when I'm out driving the 355.

Usually its the Camry with wheels canted outwards, or some poor schmuck in a Yugo

I have contempt for the Prius - any color, any plate but particularly those with California plates

I've also been followed several times and ended up calling 911 to put an end to it

here in Tucson people just love to run red lights, so I am never the first one off the line when it goes green - I'll let the F150 take the T-bone for me.

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep, I see Cali Prius and dead Teslas stuck by the side of the road; locals flip 'em the bird instead of stopping to assist.

Isn't it interesting that people will do this from their car but most likely wouldn't if they encountered the situation on foot/face to face.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post