SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    National Battery Day
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

National Battery Day Login/Join 
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Where did "Presidents' Day" come from? I remember, as a school kid, Lincoln's birthday on February 12 and Washington's birthday on February 22. I don't remember when they disappeared and Presidents' Day took their place.

IIRC, both Lincoln's and Washington's birthdays used to be separate holidays (paid, at least for the .gov workers). Then at some point they made "two into one" since they were close together anyway, and that also eliminated one holiday from the .gov schedule.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Where did "Presidents' Day" come from? I remember, as a school kid, Lincoln's birthday on February 12 and Washington's birthday on February 22. I don't remember when they disappeared and Presidents' Day took their place.
IIRC, both Lincoln's and Washington's birthdays used to be separate holidays (paid, at least for the .gov workers). Then at some point they made "two into one" since they were close together anyway, and that also eliminated one holiday from the .gov schedule.
I know for sure, when I was in elementary school they were separate holidays. I don't know when they were combined.

When they were separate holidays, the dates were fixed -- February 12 and February 22. Now, Presidents' Day, much like a bunch of other holidays, has a sliding date, so that it winds up on a Monday.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

I had to spend my gift card on a new snow shovel!

What are you going to do with that? Hand shovel your drive? Not a manly thing to do.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
The command to fire on a ship is "Batteries Release"!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

I had to spend my gift card on a new snow shovel
Is it battery-powered?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
When Lincoln’s and Washington’s birthdays were recognized separately, I clearly remember that Lincoln’s wasn’t a day-off holiday for any school I attended or for the Army when my father, or later when I was serving. (I actually believe that was the same for civilian government workers, but I’m not positive.) I always assumed the change of name and moving it to a Monday was to always give people (who got the holiday) a three-day weekend like the other holidays that were moved to Monday.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
So what part of Presidents' Day involved buying a mattress?

Posts: 9140 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you laugh, but my tv remote died , that afternoon.

its all fun and games ,until someone has to figure out how to change the channels on a big screen tv, w/o a remote

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54600 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My new shovel is manually operated and used only on my sidewalk.
My landlords end loader has a large battery and is the definition of diesel powered manliness.
I have committed a slight faux pas by not buying a Yooper Scoop.
And its snowing....

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post