SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to cheer up a dog?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to cheer up a dog? Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Just ordered "barkbox" to try to keep things interesting.

This video/treat interactive device arrives today to try - perhaps the kids from college can log in. link

bored, upset dogs can get destructive.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only one option... Have another kid. Big Grin

Posts: 734 | Location: Tucson | Registered: May 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SilverWolf
posted Hide Post
We had the same problem. Got a pup. The older guy is now active & healthy. Wink

Posts: 2425 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jmalb:
Only one option... Have another kid. Big Grin

I think I like SilverWolf's suggestion better Big Grin
We actually still have two teenagers still at home.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
I really like the idea of hiding a small treat under a cup and see if she can get to it.

That'll be good for 5-10 minutes, once or twice a day. You'll need to have a variety of things so you don't get too bored yourself and give up after a couple of weeks.

Something along the same line is feeding via a toy like a treat ball. Both of the below-linked worked well for my current dog, but I discontinued using them because she's a very eager eater and was doing damage to/with them. She slammed the fat-bowling-pin one into the walls a lot, marking up the paint. The ball one came in contact with the baseboards a lot, but I don't recall it doing much damage. Problem with it was she could get it in her mouth, and would eventually break it.

https://www.amazon.com/StarMar...ywords=dog+treat+toy

https://www.amazon.com/OurPets...words=dog+treat+ball

Here she is in action with the ball:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6CHlGgi5WY&t=56s

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Play, and socialization.

Dogs in general are social creatures. The NEED a pack... and if the pack gets disrupted it upsets the balance.

Take them to a dog park, and let them play. Good hard exercise... long walk or runs. Get working dogs a "job" retrievers fetch, herding dogs herd, or whatever type of work they were bred for.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post