SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to cheer up a dog?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to cheer up a dog? Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
Our dog Molly lost her favorite people in the world over the last couple of weeks as our two daughters left home for college. I've never seen such a sad dog as Molly has been lately. She just sits by the door, staring at it, waiting for our girls to come home. Or she just lays on the stairs, doing nothing. She's never acted this way before. Ans suggestions for something we could do to cheer her up? We bought her a big chew treat tonight, but she's still in a funk.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take her on a walk, play fetch, belly rubs?

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1211 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
If you can, take her with you when you go places sometimes. New places, new people and new smells have been known to work wonders.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Get the girls to call and talk to her on the phone.

She will not know "where" they are, but she will know they still "are".

Some animals can see "video conferencing" too.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43882 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
That's tough. Ours has serious separation anxiety with my wife. She's never happy when my wife isn't with her unless I take her for a car ride. THAT is a temporary fix. We've even talked about one of those doggy anxiety vests.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Buy her a puppy.

Seriously, dogs can take loss very hard. Watch the movie "Hachi" with a box of tissues.

Years ago, my folks had a wonderful Sheltie. After my Mother died, he wouldn't do anything but lay on her side of the bed. My dad finally had to have the dog put to sleep.

Hopefully your daughters are close and can get home from time to time to ease the perceived loss to the dog.

Good luck.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Ah, very good, compassionate answer.
I think it will work too.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
quote:

My girls have tried facetime with Molly, but she doesn't recognize their sounds or the video.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
If the dog is food motivated, or motivated by a particular toy that motivation can be a tremendous tool for getting the dog to do fun activities, be it games, obedience, etc. Some dogs LOVE to do things for rewards. If you can find the right reward, you can get a dog to have a blast doing what you might think is work.

At lot of dogs were bred for specific actives and are especially happy when they can participate in some semblance of that activity. Find out if there is some sort of activity you can simulate that Molly was bred for. For example racing breeds love to chase a "lure" at full speed (only safe to do in a fenced area!).

Hunting dogs like to find stuff, so you can hide objects, family members, or treats, and tell the dog "go find!" This works with a lot of breeds actually. My American Bulldog loves it when I hide somewhere in the house, and she finds me. It helps if the dog knows the "stay" command, of course. I sometimes will also put a few kibble in a tiny bowl, put a few drops of water on it, then go hide it somewhere out of reach or behind a door. I move it around in the air a bit to get the scent out there, then send her to find that. She loves it.

I'll also play a kind of shell game with here where I hide a couple of kibble under one or two of a number of plastic cups on the floor while she waits, then send her to tip them over until she finds the rewards. If she takes to doing stuff for kibble, there are some toys that are kind of puzzles the dog has to work to get the food. I can post some links, if Molly shows interest in working for food.

Daily, or twice daily walks to areas where there are interesting trees and plants to sniff around can be a joy to a dog. I usually keep my dog in heel until I want her to go in front and sniff, but if a dog is unenthusiastic about the walk, don't worry about that.

If she likes other dogs, find opportunities for her to interact with them, be it at a doggy daycare, or a relative or neighbor's house, etc. I hesitate to recommend dog parks because I've seen a number of fights there, and a hell of a lot of clueless dog owners who don't manage their dogs.

Last but not least, stay positive, upbeat and confident she'll come out of it. Don't pity the dog and sit there stroking and praising her while she mopes, as you're rewarding an unwanted state of mind, and potentially reinforcing it.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Look into some lavender oil. We put some on one of our dogs neck. It has a calming affect. Makes her smell purdy too.
Research it first.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19187 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
Liv-A-Snaps!!!

Sorry, I'm channeling my teenage years...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYDYNEbKepY

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Recently, one of my nephew's dogs died and the other dog basically stopped eating from my understanding.

When I saw her several weeks ago, she had lost a lot of weight. Then last week she died. Frown

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
My son Ryan leaves for Basic in a couple of months. I'll be watching his Huskador, Archer, while he's gone. Archer has hardly ever been apart from Ryan, so I'm kinda wondering about this as well.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
If the dog is food motivated, or motivated by a particular toy that motivation can be a tremendous tool for getting the dog to do fun activities, be it games, obedience, etc. Some dogs LOVE to do things for rewards. If you can find the right reward, you can get a dog to have a blast doing what you might think is work.

At lot of dogs were bred for specific actives and are especially happy when they can participate in some semblance of that activity. Find out if there is some sort of activity you can simulate that Molly was bred for. For example racing breeds love to chase a "lure" at full speed (only safe to do in a fenced area!).

Hunting dogs like to find stuff, so you can hide objects, family members, or treats, and tell the dog "go find!" This works with a lot of breeds actually. My American Bulldog loves it when I hide somewhere in the house, and she finds me. It helps if the dog knows the "stay" command, of course. I sometimes will also put a few kibble in a tiny bowl, put a few drops of water on it, then go hide it somewhere out of reach or behind a door. I move it around in the air a bit to get the scent out there, then send her to find that. She loves it.

I'll also play a kind of shell game with here where I hide a couple of kibble under one or two of a number of plastic cups on the floor while she waits, then send her to tip them over until she finds the rewards. If she takes to doing stuff for kibble, there are some toys that are kind of puzzles the dog has to work to get the food. I can post some links, if Molly shows interest in working for food.

Daily, or twice daily walks to areas where there are interesting trees and plants to sniff around can be a joy to a dog. I usually keep my dog in heel until I want her to go in front and sniff, but if a dog is unenthusiastic about the walk, don't worry about that.

If she likes other dogs, find opportunities for her to interact with them, be it at a doggy daycare, or a relative or neighbor's house, etc. I hesitate to recommend dog parks because I've seen a number of fights there, and a hell of a lot of clueless dog owners who don't manage their dogs.

Last but not least, stay positive, upbeat and confident she'll come out of it. Don't pity the dog and sit there stroking and praising her while she mopes, as you're rewarding an unwanted state of mind, and potentially reinforcing it.

I really like the idea of hiding a small treat under a cup and see if she can get to it.

ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Peanut butter seems to snap my dogs out of it. Nomnomnomnomnom

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
borrow someones cam corder and skype them , I want to watch the dog go niuts , and and! you will make $30,ooo on youtube

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
quote:

My girls have tried facetime with Molly, but she doesn't recognize their sounds or the video.

That's tough. I have seen different reactions with differnt dogs. Frome nothing, to going nuts and are happy as clams, and others think the devil is on the line.

If the dog is a very friendly dog, maybe introduce her to a few young people and see if she is amiable to that.
And as other's have suggested, try many things.
You will find something, and might be ironic what it turns out to be that soothes her.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43882 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An additional dog might help. Otherwise just be more active with the dog, do stuff, walks, fetch, etc. How did the girls interact with it? Do some of those things with the dog.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will get by
Picture of Rustyblade
posted Hide Post
2 thoughts -- one already mentioned about including the dog in with a Skype or phone call(Sigmonkey). My daughters 2 pit bulls knew who my voice belonged to when we actually met. and 2-- have your daughter sleep a few nights in pajamas (a favorite large shirt...) than seal and mail it to you. Unseal it and give it to the dog. Her smell will assure the dog that she is okay, just not at home.

Do not necessarily attribute someone's nasty or inappropriate actions as intended when it may be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Delray Beach | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Maybe you can find her some companionship, perhaps the a couple of male versions of these...

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post