SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Field arty ID help

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Field arty ID help Login/Join 
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted
These two pieces are part of a park in GTMO. The first two are just below 3" in bore size. Another neat feature is the rear wheel flips up and into the rear. The second I thought was a M1916, but comparing it to photos found on a google search makes me think it is something else.

The first one:

The 75mm/3" gun:

Age, rust, heavy paint jobs, and neglect have obscured any identifying plates or marks on the guns.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think the first one is a US piece. The second one looks like it could be an M101A1 105mm but without the wheels. The barrel looks too short, so I am not positive about that.

Posts: 201 | Location: Boyce, VA | Registered: March 25, 2012Report This Post
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
The second one's muzzle bore is about 3". I didn't have a ruler, but a rough measurement puts it about there. I am wondering if it is an old WW1 gun that got a new carriage for WW2.

Dirt Sailors Unite!

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Irish,
All the old pieces I've seen had the MK MOD stamped on the edge f the muzzle.

Even if it's covered in paint you may be able to put a sheet of paper over it and use a pencil to get and impression and try it from there.

The first tube looks like a three inch/75mm gun from around WWI...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Report This Post
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
I'll try the rubbing method. But I still think the top piece is foreign made. Maybe not Spanish-American War vintage, but maybe.

Dirt Sailors Unite!

Picture of SigActual
posted Hide Post
maybe a version of the 3-inch field gun M1902 (76.2 mm)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-inch_M1902_field_gun

Stay in the Fight!

Posts: 623 | Location: South Florida | Registered: November 03, 2012Report This Post