SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Attn Para: Study: 90% Of Bike Accidents Preventable By Buying Car Like A Normal Person
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Attn Para: Study: 90% Of Bike Accidents Preventable By Buying Car Like A Normal Person Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
I know it's a touchy subject, the riders vs non-riders, but I couldn't resist, this is hilarious Big Grin

https://www.theonion.com/study...uying-car-1820403123

Study: 90% Of Bike Accidents Preventable By Buying Car Like A Normal Person

WASHINGTON—Saying it was a simple but effective measure to reduce potentially deadly incidents, a study published Monday by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration found that 90 percent of bike accidents could be prevented by buying a car like a normal person. “Our data confirm that the vast majority of cyclist injuries can be avoided simply by driving an automobile instead of biking around like some weirdo,” said lead researcher Dr. Laura Gafferty, adding that while bicycle riding was perfectly acceptable for children under 12, it was not recommended for any actual grown-up who wasn’t competing in the Tour de France or similar event where it wasn’t completely ridiculous. Big Grin

“Regular people drive cars because it’s the normal and not the abnormal thing to do. If every cyclist purchased and operated a car like you’re supposed to as an adult, bike fatalities would drop an estimated 40 percent within six months alone.” Gafferty went on to say that people who biked for exercise should consider driving to a gym and using a stationary bike facing a wall of televisions like everyone else.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

How else can a older grown man wear leather tassles and pretend they are in a “gang” like back in grade school??? Big Grin

Big Grin Razz Big Grin

I've had a hard day and needed a good laugh...Thanks!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I also heard that marriage was the leading cause of divorce!

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Ok. That's pretty funny.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 3 cars and 3 bicycles so I'm good. Big Grin

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Let's Ride.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
AIR, the NHTSB is a gubbermint agency.

I wonder how much of OUR money they blew on that asinine "study".

And all automobile, motorcycle, bicycle accidents could be prevented by doing away with those, too.

Every time I think I have seen the most asinine gubbermint "finding" they come up with a new one, more asinine than any other.

have to say, tho, that the Mrs. and I got a good chuckle out of that "Study".

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:

And all automobile, motorcycle, bicycle accidents could be prevented by doing away with those, too.

Every time I think I have seen the most asinine gubbermint "finding" they come up with a new one, more asinine than any other.

Elk, The Onion is a satirical news site - they make up articles. None of this actually happened... Big Grin

Posts: 2324 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:

Elk, The Onion is a satirical news site - they make up articles. None of this actually happened... Big Grin

Big Grin

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
This is fake news, I don't think the .gov could figure this out.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Wearing something white and/or reflective and putting headlights and taillights on the bikes would help at night, too. I can't tell you how many idiot bicyclists I've run across (almost) at night who were dressed all in black and without any lights on their bikes at all.

I did see one tonight who had an actual bright headlight and a blinking red taillight on his bike. Apparently there are a few cyclists who have brains.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Gafferty went on to say that people who biked for exercise should consider driving to a gym and using a stationary bike facing a wall of televisions like everyone else.

Spoken for truth.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Gotta love the bicyclists that scream “asshole” at me while they’re running a stop sign while I’m turning onto the street they’re illegally crossing. Yes, that’s right, I AM the asshole. Not you, douchebag.

Right up there with the ones who want to use traffic lanes until they aren’t convenient, and suddenly start passing all the vehicles patiently waiting for the stoplight to change, use the crosswalk like a pedestrian, then expect not to get hit while they’re playing the odds.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5306 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:

Well you've got to understand that half the marriages end in divorce and the other half in death. Which is better?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:

Well you've got to understand that half the marriages end in divorce and the other half in death. Which is better?

Death. And I haven't even tried that option yet, but I'm pretty sure I'm right.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
Some of my favorite old school Top Gear UK episodes is when they shit on bicyclists. I admit I have some really great twisty roads in the hills around me and sometimes they cyclists will take up a whole lane. Doubly dangerous since there is no shoulder. I do my best (worst) British accent and yell "get a carrrr"

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3811 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hilarious, thanks for sharing it.

BTW, there is an entire web site dedicated to those, like our own Elk Hunter, who got trolled by the Onion thinking it was real news. ENJOY, LINK

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post