SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Protesters topple Confederate soldier statue in downtown Durham
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Protesters topple Confederate soldier statue in downtown Durham Login/Join 
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
This is troubling.

But as mentioned - Durham is a shit-hole. (Mike Nifong, anyone??)

And the Durham police using the cop-out 'It was on County property so we didn't have jurisdiction' is pathetic.

Destruction of property and unlawful 'riotous' SJW behavior and once again LE stands around...

------------------------------------

Well according the first post in this thread, sheriff's deputies were standing around watching, and doing nothing but playing with themselves!

So, the cops did shit, the deputies did shit and the asshole demonstrators did as they damned well pleased.

And why have the so-called law enforcement officers not been fired. Or better said, prosecuted as accomplices?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
When I saw that, I was reminded of this except for the humor, ties and likeable people--

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8329 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
How does this differ from anarchy? The cops won't get involved, the government turns a blind eye.

As stated above, it will be us to us to stop this and the costs will be high on both sides.

RMD

I wonder just how high the costs will be for the rioters and white space assholes who seem to think this will all be their way.

I have been getting nervous out in public for a while now. We have been overwhelmed by south of the border immigrants and they are taking over.

Work out place is swamped with them. They all have the latest and greatest Iphone, etc etc etc. Driving $60K-$70K vehicles, mostly trucks.

Shopping centers about the same.

I went to a Chinese eating place for lunch yesterday. I was the only white in the place.

I suppose one could argue that since we had 8 years of federal gubbermint that did jack shit to enforce laws, that we should continue that method. Of course, none of them are capable of understanding what will happen when total anarchy takes over. Kind of like the French Revolution.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
secure the Blessings of Liberty
Picture of rackrack
posted Hide Post
For every one of these monuments being "removed", I'd be interested to know who sanctioned, funded and erected them. Were they Democrat or Republican controlled bodies?

It seems odd (maybe not) that this is never mentioned in the reporting of these removal events. That leads me to conclude that it was (mostly) Democrats.

Surely if it were Republicans, the media would say so.

I've done a little research on this statue (subject of this thread) in Durham which was erected in 1924.
Link: http://docsouth.unc.edu/commland/monument/118/

According to the minutes of the 27th annual convention of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, the statue was erected as a result of a bill passed by the NC Legislature in 1923.
Link: http://archive.org/stream/minu...it#page/142/mode/2up

I can't find a record of the party affiliations of NC Legislature members in 1923 but I did find it for 1931 (just 8 years later) and forward.

In 1931 the NC Senate was Democrats 48 and Republicans 2. The NC House was Democrats 115 and Republicans 5. An overwhelming Democrat majority was probably the case for 1923 as well since the NC Legislature did not see a Republican majority until 2011. Take a look at the link.
Link: http://www.ncleg.net/library/D...artyAffiliations.pdf

It seems to me that the Democrats are trying to erase what they fear are the artifacts of their own racist history, in this case and probably most or all of the other removals.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rackrack,

Posts: 1456 | Location: NC | Registered: February 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ Interesting info! Thanks!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38646 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
What I find especially distasteful is that if it is service of their goals, criminal behavior is celebrated. Violence is fine in their service.

But they complain about the "violence" inherent in the statue itself. And insist on non-violence from the authorities in response to criminal behavior.

Such hypocrisy isn't limited to the left, but they do seem to excel at it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Are you sure they weren't ordered to stand down by the mayor, who's likely perfectly happy to see the statue torn down.

quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
quote:
Sheriff’s deputies recorded the event but did not intervene as a protester climbed a ladder and slipped a yellow, bungie-like cord around the soldier’s head and arm and a group pulled the cord.

WTF is going on? Fucking cops just stood and let it happen? Filmed it? For their viewing pleasure later?

Every one of those "law enforcement officers" should be arrested and charged as co-conspirators with the idiots who did the damage.

And, whoever is in charge of the agency should be charged along with them.

This country is well and truly screwed!

When the hell will this shit stop?

Or do we have to have another civil war to clean it up?

And I have news for those safe space assholes. If it comes down to a major uprising by the law abiding people who just got a snoot full of that shit, the safe space assholes will get a very nasty surprise. They will be outnumbered and outgunned.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is very disgusting. The police all watched this happen and made no attempt to intervene. Now the statue is ruined and for what. The town of Pittsboro NC is just down the road on highway 15-501. Right in the middle of town is a traffic circle and right there in front of the government building is a statue of a confederate soldier. I wonder how long it will be standing or what will happen there. Here is a link to the story about it..
http://www.ncpedia.org/monumen...nfederate-monument-0

Posts: 137 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: February 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Are you sure they weren't ordered to stand down by the mayor, who's likely perfectly happy to see the statue torn down.

quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
quote:
Sheriff’s deputies recorded the event but did not intervene as a protester climbed a ladder and slipped a yellow, bungie-like cord around the soldier’s head and arm and a group pulled the cord.

WTF is going on? Fucking cops just stood and let it happen? Filmed it? For their viewing pleasure later?

Every one of those "law enforcement officers" should be arrested and charged as co-conspirators with the idiots who did the damage.

And, whoever is in charge of the agency should be charged along with them.

This country is well and truly screwed!

When the hell will this shit stop?

Or do we have to have another civil war to clean it up?

And I have news for those safe space assholes. If it comes down to a major uprising by the law abiding people who just got a snoot full of that shit, the safe space assholes will get a very nasty surprise. They will be outnumbered and outgunned.

If they were and in fact watched a crime get committed, they should lose whatever authority they had. Selectively allowing laws to be broken is a very serious issue. One that could be yet another catalyst that fuels a civil war. We've seen it with immigration. We've seen it with the demonstration in Charlottesville. What happens when someone is sent to confiscate guns? Are the cops/LEO community gonna sit on their asses just because they were told to stand down, just because their Mayor said "let it go"?

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Only Kneel
to Almighty God
posted Hide Post
No Justice - No Peace.. Isn't that the slogan I have heard??.

Well lets hope for some Justice (as we are a nation of laws).

http://wncn.com/2017/08/15/durham-sh...derate-statue/

Durham sheriff says protesters who tore down Confederate statue will face felony charges

DURHAM, N.C. (WNCN) — Durham County Sheriff Mike Andrews announced Tuesday morning that the sheriff’s office will be investigating and trying to identify and charge the protesters who took part in the toppling of a Confederate statue outside the old Durham County courthouse Monday evening.

“No one is getting away with this,” said Sheriff Michael D. Andrews at a Tuesday news conference.

He said protesters will face felony charges.

“We can all agree yesterday went too far,” he said.

His remarks came the day after a crowd of protesters gathered outside the old Durham County courthouse on Main Street Monday evening in opposition to a Confederate monument in front of the government building.

Around 7:10 p.m. a woman using a ladder climbed the statue of a Confederate soldier and attached a rope around the statue.

Moments later, the crowd pulled on the rope and the statue fell. One man quickly ran up and spat on the statue and several others began kicking it.

Durham police later said they monitored the protests to make sure they were “safe,” but did not interfere with the statue toppling because it happened on county property.

“Because this incident occurred on county property, where county law enforcement officials were staffed, no arrests were made by DPD officers,” Durham Police spokesman Wil Glenn wrote in an email statement.

Durham County Sheriff’s Office deputies videotaped the statue being brought down — but didn’t stop it from happening.

After toppling the statue, the protesters started marching. They blocked traffic with authorities trying to stay ahead of them. The protesters made their way down E. Main Street to the site of the new Durham Police Department.

In 1924, the Confederate statue was dedicated to Durham.

Engraved on the front of the monument is “The Confederate States of America.”

Above it, was the statue representing a soldier who fought in the civil war.

“Today we got a small taste of justice,” protester Jose Ramos said after the statue was down.

On Tuesday morning, Andrews released a statement saying that “As the Sheriff, I am not blind to the offensive conduct of some demonstrators nor will I ignore their criminal conduct. With the help of video captured at the scene, my investigators are working to identify those responsible for the removal and vandalism of the statue.”

Andrews’ full statement can be read below:

I am grateful the events that unfolded Monday evening did not result in serious injury or the loss of life, but the planned demonstration should serve as a sobering example of the price we all pay when civil disobedience is no longer civil. Before the protest, my staff met with our community partners to discuss how to safely and appropriately respond to the protest. County leaders were aware of the risk of damage to the Confederate statute, as well as, the potential risk of injury to the public and officers should deputies attempt to control the crowd. Collectively, we decided that restraint and public safety would be our priority. As the Sheriff, I am not blind to the offensive conduct of some demonstrators nor will I ignore their criminal conduct. With the help of video captured at the scene, my investigators are working to identify those responsible for the removal and vandalism of the statue.

My deputies showed great restraint and respect for the constitutional rights of the group expressing their anger and disgust for recent events in our country. Racism and incivility have no place in our country or Durham. I am asking both city and county leaders to establish guidelines and safe spaces for protesters to prevent demonstrations from becoming disruptive and as we witnessed in Charlottesville, dangerous. Rightfully, Durham County and the City of Durham have a longstanding respect for the right of peaceable assembly. Recently, the Sheriff’s Office’s decision to arrest demonstrators at a public meeting was challenged in the court of law. My Agency has been the focus of demonstrations for more than a year, most of them peaceful. However, now may be the time for Durham to consider what is the best way to respond to continued protests while respecting every resident’s right to voice their opinion.”

Durham County officials also issued a statement Monday regarding the toppling of the statue:

Our elected officials and senior staff understand the unrest in our nation and community, particularly following the senseless acts that took place in Charlottesville, VA. We share the sentiments of many communities around the nation that admonish hate and acts of violence as we believe civility is necessary in our every action and response. Governmental agencies dedicated to public safety will continue to work collectively to ensure Durham remains a community of excellence where all of our residents can live peacefully, grow and thrive.

Posts: 3427 | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
I think I can safely say, it wasn't this guy Wink

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
What I find especially distasteful is that if it is service of their goals, criminal behavior is celebrated. Violence is fine in their service.

But they complain about the "violence" inherent in the statue itself. And insist on non-violence from the authorities in response to criminal behavior.

I think that needs a repeat.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Only Kneel
to Almighty God
posted Hide Post
Unless something changes, these statues represent Veterans.

http://uscode.house.gov/statutes/pl/85/425.pdf

Posts: 3427 | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nra-life-member:
DURHAM, N.C. (WNCN) — Durham County Sheriff Mike Andrews announced Tuesday morning that the sheriff’s office will be investigating and trying to identify and charge the protesters who took part in the toppling of a Confederate statue outside the old Durham County courthouse Monday evening.

“No one is getting away with this,” said Sheriff Michael D. Andrews at a Tuesday news conference.

He said protesters will face felony charges.
'Protesters', are you shitting me pal! I'm sick beyond description of this filth hiding behind the term 'protester'. These people are garbage anarchists/communists/rioters, and should be immediately shot when they behave this way. I don't want them prosecuted, I want them eliminated from the planet. Mad This country and the world will be a much better place without them.

Oh, and your bullshit about not acting because the statue was on county property is one of the most chicken shit cop outs I've ever heard. So if some group was beating the hell out of a child, or some gay, or black, or transwhatever person on county property, you'd still stand around with your thumb up your ass? There is at least one police officer in Durham that needs to be canned.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
The police all watched this happen and made no attempt to intervene.

It's honestly hard for me to judge them. They have families to provide for and you know exactly what would have happened had they tried to intervene. Do you think a violent mob would go to jail peacefully? The officers would have to respond accordingly and probably lose their jobs or end up in jail themselves. That's the society we live in until elected officials start standing behind them again.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

The left has a lot more experience at it. It is now a primary tool that they use unabashedly.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Local news announced the Lincoln Memorial was defaced with red spray paint last night and discovered at 4am this morning. Currently trying to get paint off the marble. Little cockroaches don't respect anything.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Link to the Durham, NC police department's innernet page which may be of interest. They should be ashamed of their inaction during the recent lawlessness. Chief Davis' email address is provided on the page, should anyone want to politely express to her their dissatisfaction with the performance of the Durham police department.

https://durhamnc.gov/149/Police-Department

Posts: 26894 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Clayton Bigsbee!!

quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
I think I can safely say, it wasn't this guy Wink

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:

In my world, that would be an illegal order.

And just what would that shit head mayor do if they refused?

Fire them?

Yeah that would look real good in the media, and I wonder what various law enforcement agencies would do about a mayor that ordered the police officers to ignore crime.

Oh, and I doubt that the mayor controls the sheriff deputies. Are they not county?

They are here

Elk

-Thomas Jefferson

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter