SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Insurance Institute for Hwy Safety Report
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Insurance Institute for Hwy Safety Report Login/Join 
Picture of Sailor1911
posted
Insurance Institute for Highway Safety report says States that have legalized recreational use of marijuana have increased accident rates in the wake of legalization. Who Knew?

Report link

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
The pot-heads will say they are skewing or misreading the data. Count on it.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I’d like to see some smartphone surfing while driving statistics.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
I’d like to see some smartphone surfing while driving statistics.
You are not wrong; however, this thread is not about phones, it is about driving while under the influence of marijuana.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/6420005844

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
^^^ True. And soon, someone will come in comparing pot to alcohol. Post the same link for them.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our local Sheriff attended the National Sheriff Academy in Colorado recently and also reported that their crashes had increased.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
The pot-heads will say they are skewing or misreading the data. Count on it.

flashguy

Agreed

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Correlation <> Causation.
Pointing at a number without context & saying 'look, I'm right' is how we've gotten a bunch of really shitty laws.

Not a pot fan, but living with a woman getting her masters in a statistics-related field. She's getting awfully tired of me poking holes in her conclusions from shitty data. And I'm guessing this data is full of holes already. Didn't read all of it, but I suspect some motivation to justify increased rates. Comparing CO & NV drivers to MT & ID is suspect, even if they controlled for all the items they list (and assuming the comparison is even relatively valid). The economy is good right now, make hay while the sun shines

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not know about the statistics, but it stands to reason that mild hallucinogens do not enhance attention, concentration, reaction time and other skills necessary in operating a motor vehicle safely.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I do not know about the statistics, but it stands to reason that mild hallucinogens do not enhance attention, concentration, reaction time and other skills necessary in operating a motor vehicle safely.
^^This. Anything that impairs one's motor skills and mental state is going to cause some measure of increased accidents. You don't need statistical analysis to confirm common sense. And the cities/states who constantly celebrate their increased revenues from the legalization of pot are being dishonest by refusing to quantify and report the associated/related costs.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post