SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Spec Ops rescue female US citizen overseas??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spec Ops rescue female US citizen overseas?? Login/Join 
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted
I had posted in the CV19 thread since this came up during the President's presser tonight but deleted so as not to thread drift there. I'm genuinely curious to learn more of what happened here:

Link

President Donald Trump said Sunday that an unspecified military operation had been conducted in a "certain area" overseas to rescue a female U.S. citizen who was being "horribly treated."

Details on the operation and where it was conducted were initially being kept "somewhat private," Trump said, but he added that "we got her out and she's OK, and she's back with her parents."

At the beginning of a White House news conference on the coronavirus, the president spoke to efforts to bring U.S. citizens home from overseas during the pandemic, and cited cooperation from the governments of Peru and Honduras.

"We were able to get a young woman released from a certain area who was being horribly accosted, horribly treated," he then added.

Related: US Defense Department Announces 1st Coronavirus Death

Trump said he consulted with Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Mark Milley, who "took care of it. We went in and we got her out, but that was rough stuff."

He thanked Milley "and all the people involved and people who went in to get her."

In a question-and-answer session at the news conference, Trump was asked for details, but said only that "bad things were happening to her in a certain country," adding that "Gen. Milley does not play games."

There was no immediate response from the Pentagon to questions on the operation.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7140 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Now how many other Presidents would have had the stones to go to those lengths to get one American back home safe?

Posts: 4524 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I'd like to know a bit more about it. Some adventure seeker hiking around the border between Iran and Iraq or China and NK? No sympathy. Need more info.

Posts: 3589 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Well, the Prez mentioned cooperation from Peru and Honduras, so I'm guessing South and/or Central America.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16459 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I get the distinct impression that, for reasons not made known as of this time, the operation was to remain secret, but the President let the cat out of the bag.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Maybe Dee Snyder's daughter?

On Friday Rock star Snider shared a plea in a video posted on Facebook for assistance in bringing his daughter home and took the country of Peru, as well as the US government, to task for 'hanging people out to dry' as many countries shut their borders.

A former contestant on Trump's Celebrity Apprentice, Snider called the president's response to the pandemic a 'mockery' and said he would rather vote for a 'baked potato' than cast his ballot for Trump in November.

In the video he said: 'There are literally thousands of American citizens stuck in foreign countries under quarantine and not being allowed to return home. 'I know this because my daughter Shy, or Cheyenne, is one of over 800 stuck in Peru right now. The borders have been closed and there are no flights going out. They are not being let out.'

Five days before Cheyenne was set to return home from her solo spiritual retreat, the President of Peru abruptly shut down the borders to halt the spread of novel coronavirus.

Snider explains in the video that despite foreign citizens now being allowed to return home, the country doesn't have adequate infrastructure to get them quickly and safely to the airport in Lima. He said of the US: 'You can't just leave people hanging out to dry in foreign countries because they didn't get back fast enough.'

DailyMail.com

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16459 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
^^
I'm not sure that fits the description of "being accosted" or "horribly treated" but who knows.

Posts: 7427 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:

It took the US military to rescue Dee Snider's daughter from a border closing?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
^^
I'm not sure that fits the description of "being accosted" or "horribly treated" but who knows.

We don't know how she was being treated.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:

"Anytime, Anyplace".
It is not for us to decide the call, but only give it all we got when the call comes. BTDT.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44059 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:

For some reason the extraction scene from Act of Valor keeps running through my mind.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

posted Hide Post
Unless his daughter was taken for ransom by the Shining Path, then getting out of Peru equates to managing to charter an aircraft...which has happened for a few hundred of the US citizens there.

That really begs the question; we're into this globally for over four months now; countries closing borders isn't exactly new. Anybody who has been surprised by this, or chose to go on vacation in the middle of this...isn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed.

It isn't the responsibility of the US government to save people from their own stupidity. It's a nice gesture, but with enough going on as it is, the Dept of State is supposed to drop everything to help those who couldn't figure out a vacation?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Five days before Cheyenne was set to return home from her solo spiritual retreat, the President of Peru abruptly shut down the borders to halt the spread of novel coronavirus.

It kind of sounds like Mr. Rock Star’s snit is misdirected. Maybe his daughter bears some responsibility for picking a lousy destination for her vacation solo spiritual retreat, given the developing circumstances. The President of Peru was also to blame (for making a responsible decision).

But, Orange Man bad.

Posts: 27024 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
The president said that she had been abused as bad as a person could short of being killed. We'll get more info eventually. It sounds like whoever we sent to pick her up got some payback. One can hope.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
Now how many other Presidents would have had the stones to go to those lengths to get one American back home safe?

George W Bush for one

Posts: 7819 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:

George W Bush for one

Teddy Roosevelt, also, I suspect.

Posts: 15067 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Obama did it for Jessica Buchanan.

She wasn't a feckless tourist. Rather, she was a naive aid worker in a shithole failed state. A SEAL team went in hard and got her and her fellow Danish hostage out alive. I remember reading an article where the Danish guy said he was grateful to have been kidnapped with an American.

edit: Dude was Danish, not Dutch

Posts: 832 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
It’s easy to be torn about these sorts of things, especially when it’s obvious that the victims contributed to their plights. I remember some years ago when a SEAL was killed during a rescue mission and a member here was very upset about that. But although I understand such a reaction, if rescues are among the missions a volunteer signs up for, then sometimes they’re going to be expected to perform such missions.

And asking who gets rescued is like asking who gets medical care when they show up at the E.R. It’s often tempting to think, “You brought that on yourself, so we’re not going to fix you,” but putting people in the position of having to decide whether someone deserves to be fixed or rescued is not good for anyone. All of us Americans benefit from the ability to project our power when necessary because it gives the people who commit these sorts of crimes something to consider when picking their victims—including those who don’t “deserve” to be victimized.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47467 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What I've ;earned from the President's daily briefing:
He rambles and needs a class in public speaking.
Pence is clear, concise and sticks to the point.

I have no idea of what he was talking about, so it would be inappropriate to start guessing. I reckon that when he obliqued on to that topic there was a lot of face palming going on in his press office and the DOD.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post