SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Yeti rambler made in China!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yeti rambler made in China! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Why is this a surprise?

The US doesn't manufacture anything beyond single-material items; easy to handle, low-skill workers, and a supply chain that isn't too complex. It's been like that for 30+ years. Western European countries subsidized various trades to 'preserve their heritage' and naturally to retain jobs and Asia provided low cost labor and zero environmental regulations, not to mention a completely integrated supply chain. A US made Yeti tumblr would likely cost 2x what it goes for right now.

You clearly haven't been looking very hard. Manufacturing here may not be what it once was but America still makes plenty of stuff. And not just the simple stuff like you claim.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Last year Wal Mart had the 20 oz tumblers on some sort of special sale...They were $4.88 OTD. I then buy the Yeti top /Straw combo at the Base Exchange for another $4 and an instant Yeti Mart mug. Works just as good as the $30 model.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Made in the same plant as the Walmart version!

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Made in the same plant as the Walmart version!

I work with a guy who had an identical 30 oz tumbler except mine was the Ozark Trail and his was the Yeti. I paid $8 for mine and he paid $35. I kept ragging him and he kept insisting that the Yeti would keep ice longer. We finally did a test - put the same number of ice cubes and filled with water and left them 2 ft apart on the break room table. My Ozark Trail held ice for almost 8 hours after his last cube disappeared!

Several tests on Youtube bear it out - they are either identical or the Ozark Trail beats the Yeti in every test I've seen.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
The power of marketing people.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
YETI COOLERS = MOSTER CABLE

Nothing special about them but people pay silly money for them when the cheap one will do exactly the same.

For my cooler I bought a Canyon second hand for $100. It keeps ice longer and is stronger than the Yeti in all the comparisons I have read.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
But be careful. I've seen Made In USA in large print and in very small print "from imported components".

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
But be careful. I've seen Made In USA in large print and in very small print "from imported components".
Yeah so they import the cup and the top separately, put them togeter in a box - TADA!!! It’s been MADE. Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Apple pulls the same shit, designed in California made in China.

Orka coolers are made in USA.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine was trying to tell me how awesome his Yeti cooler was. Said it kept ice for three days camping, three days! I said so what it can't hold three days worth of beer. When you head into town for more beer just buy more ice.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Ozark Trail 30 Oz double walled tumbler less than $9 at Walmart.
Excellent performance at noted price point.
Perhaps from the same Chinese factory as the comparable Yeti model.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeNH:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Why is this a surprise?

The US doesn't manufacture anything beyond single-material items; easy to handle, low-skill workers, and a supply chain that isn't too complex. It's been like that for 30+ years. Western European countries subsidized various trades to 'preserve their heritage' and naturally to retain jobs and Asia provided low cost labor and zero environmental regulations, not to mention a completely integrated supply chain. A US made Yeti tumblr would likely cost 2x what it goes for right now.

You clearly haven't been looking very hard. Manufacturing here may not be what it once was but America still makes plenty of stuff. And not just the simple stuff like you claim.

Oh there's no doubt there's plenty of stuff made here, and some of it quite good however, the vast majority of consumer goods, the stuff that gets headlines, moves the economic needle and employs an unskilled or non-technical work-force, is made overseas.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Here is a thought, don’t charge 2-3x what something is worth and you don’t have to worry about counterfeit products cutting in n your business.

Didn't Yeti sue RTIC for making a copycat?

They actually sued damn near everyone who made a clone.

Posts: 12540 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
quote:
Originally posted by techguy:
Went to Academy Sports and was looking around. Looked at Kershaw and SOG knives and noticed that they were made in China.

If you do a "knife search" on Kershaw's website, one of the filters you can select is "Made in the USA" to ID the models made here.

For the difference of a few bucks, the Made In USA are my go-to ones.

Yep!

Kershaw makes several models in the USA and they have an entire premium line, Zero Tolerance, that is 100% made in the USA.

SOG makes some higher end stuff in Japan I believe.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought the Ozark mugs from Walmart.com based on this site. They work great!

I do have a number of Hydro Flask brand bottles I bought before learning of the magical "Ozark Trails" and I'm happy with them as well, they weren't cray-cray expensive though.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
A friend of mine was trying to tell me how awesome his Yeti cooler was. Said it kept ice for three days camping, three days! I said so what it can't hold three days worth of beer. When you head into town for more beer just buy more ice.

^^^Wisdom.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20812 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Bison coolers are made in the USA and are priced lower than the Chinese made Yeti's:

https://www.bisoncoolers.com/collections/coolers

I have their 50 Qt. cooler and their 12 can SoftPak cooler bag. Both have been excellent. The 50 Qt is built rock solid, it has thicker insulation than the Yeti, and it held ice significantly longer than my Coleman Xtreme coolers which are starting to fall apart.

Not such a big deal for a weekend beer cooler, but on a recent Antelope hunt out west it did a great job of keeping my packed food cold on the way out, and on keeping the Antelope meat cold for the 2-day drive back home.

Bison sells the stainless tumblers as well, here is what their website says: "Unlike our American-made coolers, Bison Drinkware is imported simply because there isn't a single company in America that can manufacture a stainless steel, vacuum-insulated container. We never compromise quality so rest assured you're going to love it."

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by techguy:
Went to Academy Sports and was looking around. Looked at Kershaw and SOG knives and noticed that they were made in China. Purchased a Yeti 26 ounce rambler and when I got home I notice that it was designed in Texas and made in China. Just about anything I look at anymore is made in China. I sure did not know that Yeti products were made there.

You should take it back and buy one of the WalMart Yeti types for half the price or less.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Lots of labeling 'designed in USA, made in China'.

Look no further than to our regulations & labor laws to understand the reasoning. It's very widespread, everywhere. No I don't own a Yeti product, no plans to either.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin Nothing like throwing your money out in the street. Here is the WalMart brand 36 ounce for less than $10.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Oza...ottle-36oz/193860311

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post